• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magpul MIAD grip on LR 308 TAC 20

Hello,

This is my first post after my introduction. 

I saw that Fulton Armory offers a MIAD grip as an option on their Lite Rifle.  I am wondering if their are any modifications that need to be done on the MIAD grip for the the rear take down spring of my LR 308 TAC 20.  Fulton Armory does not have an email address and they mention no problems with this option. 

Please let me know as I am sitting on my new MIAD grip :-\

I have already added a Magpul UBR with Clint Butler's CAR 10 buffer and modified Armalite buffer spring.  It is very solid when extended but wiggles very little when fully collapsed. 

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.  But what I am getting at is not about the gap.  I have seen pictures all over the web that shows the use of the B3 and B2 back straps on the LR 308s and the gap is minimal.  The issue of a gap only comes up when the MIAD is used on an AR10 or SR25.

The issue I am specifically addressing is whether the rear take down pin detent spring (which is supported by the pistol grip - as I am sure you know) is properly supported and will not work loose within the MIAD grip itself since there is no consistent ledge or "box" as in the detent spring for the fire select switch. 

I haven't handled a MIAD in person. I surmised perhaps incorrectly that it did more then fill the gap.

Some guys shortened the spring, threaded the hole and insert a very short set screw. I also believe others have done some reforming and hole relocation with epoxy. Alternatively filled the hole and created a shelf.

I have pictures of the set screw mod somewhere but its pretty self explanatory. If you need to see it let me know.

Thank you imschur,

That is exactly the information I need!  My friend has all the necessary tools and with his help I will be able to find the 4-40 set screw and tap the hole. 

That is going to be my solution as well. :)  Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words of description and sometimes analysis. ;)

When I last looked at home depot and lowes I seem to recall their threading tools were crappy. May have changed since then. I also do not recall if there was a 4-40. If you dont mind spending a little on shipping I would suggest mcmaster.com. There online catalog lets you drill down by common sense criteria.

hand tap>spiral point (gun tap)>thread size>type of material to be tapped>coating> etc

MSC (mscdirect.com) is similar just not as easy and they have branches everywhere. You can walk in to MSC branches.

Both places deliver next day as a standard in most parts of the US

WW Grainger is also an option that has branches everwhere.

Lastly get the smallest bottle of tapping fluid you can purchase that is suitable for aluminum. Need to lube the tool

• 5 weeks later...

I did this to mine when I put the MIAD on there (and the AR-15s), but it was tough to find 4-40 set screws locally.  I stepped up the size to 6-32 based on everything being available for that size.  It's slightly larger than the commonly recommended stuff, but works like a charm.

IMHO, the coarser thread pitch at 32 vice 40 is a little better, and cutting (tapping) the threads in the receiver leaves you with deeper threads on the 32 pitch, without a doubt.

Anyone that wants to do this, but can't find 4-40 materials (set screws and tap), then keep in mind that 6-32 is a perfectly viable solution (and readily available at most ACE Hardware stores).  You'll need the 6-32 set screws, the tap, and a #35 drill bit to size the hole properly for tapping.  I hand-turned the drill bit in the tap holder - easy to do, and the material comes out cleanly on the receivers. 

• 2 months later...

IMHO there is no problem.  I speak from 15 years of maintaining and repairing industrial production machinery.  I put a Brownell's multi-piece configurable pistol grip on my DPMS and am not concerned.  One of the two springs has a little well to support it.  The other just sits there but is a long spring and with the grip properly placed it will be flush at the bottom with the lower edge of the receiver.  This was the configuration of my factory grip.  If your new grip has a lot of space and a sloped surface,  drilling a hole just big enough and maybe 3/32" inch deep at the shallow side of the plastic grip surface to create a seat should be enough.

Dusty, that won't work quite like that on a Magpul MIAD grip (or the MOE grip; it's formed the same way).  The way Magpul hollowed out the grip, there's no material in there to drill into for takedown spring placement.  There is a captured area already formed into it for the safety detent spring, just nothing in there for the takedown spring.  If you mounted the grip without modding the lower, the spring would simply fall to the bottom of the grip, and the takedown detent wouldn't be in contact with the takedown pin.

Unfortunately, about the only thing you can do if you want to run a MIAD or MOE grip is the drill/tap/set screw mod, with the appropriate amount of spring clipped off.

Here's the innards of the top of the MIAD - the MOE looks just the same:

MIAD1.jpg

MIAD2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, guys,

I got both of my LR 308s done this afternoon.  I am very happy with the results.  I got to put my MIAD grip on along with the Magpul stock.  My friend the aircraft mechanic and I were able to tap the lower receiver and use the 4-40 set screws and we used red loctite.  We cut the springs for the rear take-down pin to the length of the set screws - 3/16in.  No problems at all.

Thanks for all the very helpful hints and suggestions.

• 3 years later...

Hello, sorry to resurrect this thread. However, I am trying to find out whether the Type 1 or Type 2 Magpul MIAD Gen 1.1 grip will fit my DPMS LR-308. I contacted Magpul and wasn't able to get a very great answer. The details for the Type 2 grip say that it's for 7.62x51 confirgurations, but I've also read elsewhere that the Type 1 fits some 308s as well.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

When all this info was written/gathered, there was only one MagPul MIAD grip.  So, this was about the original.  The one that still came with the front piece with the integrated trigger guard. 

If there's a new one, try it out for us and report back on the results - put them up in this thread, and all the info will be in one place for future reference.  <thumbsup>

Hello, sorry to resurrect this thread. However, I am trying to find out whether the Type 1 or Type 2 Magpul MIAD Gen 1.1 grip will fit my DPMS LR-308. I contacted Magpul and wasn't able to get a very great answer. The details for the Type 2 grip say that it's for 7.62x51 confirgurations, but I've also read elsewhere that the Type 1 fits some 308s as well.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Roughly measure the curve radius above the grip. If it is around 3/4" then it will take a standard Type-1 and a small step before the receiver endplate (see pic below). If it is a lot greater than 3/4", you'll most likely need the Type 2.

"Type-1" on a 308.

IMG_5463.JPG

Standard AR15 MOE on a "Type-1" 308 receiver.

IMG_5681.JPG

Edited by shibiwan