• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tried .308 reloads

fisherob

Here are the results from my Rock River arms .308.  I used 2 boxes of manufacture ammo and then 6 reloads.  This was also my first time reloading.  Definetly tighter groups with reloading.  I am going to try different loads to find what my rifle likes the most.  Here is the first time loading my own ammo.

post-13808-0-17232400-1383015436_thumb.j

It's not as cheap as it used to be, wash.  Primers are ridiculous now, compared to what they used to be - now, they're +$30 for a box of 1k primers?!  Powder prices are up, new unprimed brass in bags of 50 are up...   - Save all your brass, brother!

For 5.56, I'm still in it for about 30 cents a round, with 55gr blem projectiles...  Hell, two years ago, I was getting a case of 1,000 rds for $325 shipped.  Math-wise, it was easier to get ammo shipped to me.

The biggest benefit is your own control over the ammo production - you can make it better, even if you can get it for the same price as making it yourself.

Well the Winchester .308 brass is $19.95 for 100. The CCI primers are $4.95 for 100. The matchking sierra 175 gr. bullets are $31.95 for 100. The IMR 4007 SSC is $26.95 a lb which is enough for 100 Bullets. It comes out to about .84 cents a bullet. Not a huge savings but definetly a difference in accuracy.

Well the Winchester .308 brass is $19.95 for 100. The CCI primers are $4.95 for 100. The matchking sierra 175 gr. bullets are $31.95 for 100. The IMR 4007 SSC is $26.95 a lb which is enough for 100 Bullets. It comes out to about .84 cents a bullet. Not a huge savings but definetly a difference in accuracy.

Plus it will give me and Char some more quality time together on cold winter days LOL

Dammit i guess im in for a turret press....whats the best one? rock,dillion,redding t-7, Lee,hornady....ooops dillion iis for one or the other....need one for 308 down to 9mm pistol.....accuracy is the deal where we shoot...so here we go used too have a mec 9000 grabber progressive for shotshells...so a turret is what i need? one at a time wont work for me....I feel the need for speed! looked at lee...like the rotating turret

:) Wash

Edited by washguy

You make-a nice small groups with-a your first A reloadeds!

My first batch of reloads were in 0.2gr increments for a handgun cartridge in a lever carbine.  One of the increments DID make 1-hole groups.  Came to find out, that load for most people did.  At least I discovered it on my own.  :banana:

The IMR 4007 SSC is $26.95 a lb which is enough for 100 Bullets.

You should be getting closer to 150 rounds per pound for a .308 Win, man.  Anything from 42 to 45 grains per charge.

That make's the cost per a few more cents less.  <thumbsup>

I am using RCBS kit. It was pretty simple to do. I had help though. Been reading a lot . With reloading you have to be very careful. Check, double check, and triple check. I'm new so I am extra careful. I just picked up Speer 168 gr. Match Target and Varget powder so this weekend I will try a different load.

Well just got done loading Winchester .308 brass with 44 grains of Varget powder and 168 grain Speer target match boat tail bullet. All the readings on the reloading forums people seem to like this load the best. Hopefully I can get to the range tomorrow to test it out. I will post my results.

Loading 44g Varget at 2.79 coal in hornady match brass with 168 SMK 2568fps federal match primer so far this load is working well for me.

Loaded up some test loads with CFE223 47g everything else the same as above shot 2693fps might go back to this later have 6 lbs of CFE 223 think this has potential with some more tweaking