• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magpul handguard heat shield contact with barrel

sodbuster

A question for the experts: is barrel contact to hand guard heat shields detrimental? I replaced the S&W standard handguard on my M&P 10 with a Magpul Mid model with heat shields. I've read installation on the M&P 10 is difficult because they were designed for the smaller 5.56 barrel. Mine slipped on without too much trouble but I'm 99.9% sure those shields are laying against the back part of the barrel. So the question - what to expect? Should I remove the guard and bend away the shield? Is it possible accuracy will be affected? Will handguard heat increase now compared to a no contact situation? Appreciate any input from those in the know. Thanks!

You could cut/bend the lips to prevent contact... but if it fits, why worry?

At worst, you might see a little wear mark on your barrel where the metal touches metal. Your barrel is a lot stronger than the heat shield, so there shouldn't be any fear of actual damage.

As for loss of accuracy... I don't imagine that kind of contact will effect you at all.

You could cut/bend the lips to prevent contact... but if it fits, why worry?

At worst, you might see a little wear mark on your barrel where the metal touches metal. Your barrel is a lot stronger than the heat shield, so there shouldn't be any fear of actual damage.

As for loss of accuracy... I don't imagine that kind of contact will effect you at all.

LOL - well I did leave it on there but thought about it later. I'll have to do some shooting and see what happens. Thanks!

If I remember...it's a pretty snug fit on a 5.56 gun too. It doesnt touch when installed, but the chamber area drags on the narrow end when I slap it on.

It's a snug fit on an AR15 yes but, from the last one I installed, I think it was the fit between the Delta ring and the end cap. I'm old, CRS infected LOL. Thanks!

It fits ! I have it on two guns. 308 delta pak required may have to modify barrel cap end attachment point. The heat sheilds works, no interferance problems. Be patient on install you may have to drill a screw hole to lock in the handguard.

Mine went on pretty easy but it was the sound of sheet metal against heavy metal that made me wonder if I'm screwing things up.  It's installed and looks good but I am a Magpul fan boy of sorts. Thanks!

Measure how far up the barrel that the larger "chamber size" of the diameter is - then use that number plus another 1/4".  Cut the heatshield by that measurement, and bend that out of the way, so it doesn't contact the barrel.  For the rest of the heatshield, bend it out of the way.

If you don't do that, your barrel will look like this (pics "borrowed" from ARF user jsucraig):

dpms001.jpg

dpms006.jpg

dpms007.jpg