• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

22-250 Build on Lr-308 Platform-Looking for Cycling Issue Help

cdnick

All,

I'm new to forum and this is my first post.

I have decided to build a .22-250 on the DPMS platform. I'm having a stainless steel 1:8 bull barrel made and it should be an interesting project. As some who is brand new to the 308 variant of the AR platform I was a little dissapointed in different options to give this gun a unique feel.

I will use a DPMS upper (A3 Low Rise), Bolt, BCG, and Lower. The recivers were stripped and completed using DPMS parts kits. I bought a DPMS LR-308 barrel extension (no choice here).

I guess I'm looking for help in what I can customize a little. I will use the Magpul PRS stock, and I really wanted to use the SR Gold trigger. The hand guards I want at least a top rail, so i guess that means quad rail, I will get rail covers, but I am having issues finding information on rail heights, I really want it the same hight as my reciever.

I have heard alot of talk about the barrel nuts and want more info on that and how they play into the build. are they included with hand guards? how are they installed, I bought a special wrench for them and now just confused.

I wanted at least a top rail gas block as that is where the front sight will be. I also was looking for information on BUIS, I want something that  can flip up and down but not be in the way with the scope, probably a leupold mark 4 or nightforce, or some day night combo, for hunting 'yotes in the night. Again the flip up fron sight will be on the gas block. The gas system will be a standard legnth.

I guess what I am Asking is what I am after going to work? do any of the people on this forum who i am sure are much smarter than me on this, see anything I am after that should change, and of course any other info that will be of help.

Will add pics as parts come in and build progresses.

Chris.

The newer DPMS uppers rail has been changed & there are few choices of hand guards out there made for them .

Try looking at DPMS's own line of FF hand guards , they should line up correctly. I would call or email them ,just to make sure.

A rail can be mounted to just about any round FF hand guard , with the proper rail & tools to do it .

22-250 sounds interesting .I see it takes the same shell holder as a 308 for reloading, so a 308 bolt should work as long as it is head spaced correctly.

There are a lot of trigger systems out now for 308 AR 's. There is a section on them here some where.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting to see how this worked out - right now, the only platform available for the 22-250 is from Olympic Arms, and they made a special, lengthened AR-15 lower receiver, just to handle the cartridge.

As for pics, just email any one of the Admins (myself included) with the pics, and we'll put them up for you.  <thumbsup>

Wow! That would certainly be different. What were you thinking of using in the way of a magazine? Since the .22-250 is based on the .250 Savage case, it's more than likely dimensionally different (other than the rim size) from any caliber that the AR platform is currently chambered in. I would think that this would present some rather unique feeding issues.

Come to think of it, the .250 Savage may not be a bad chambering in the AR in it own right.

The .308 mags work fine, both pmags and the DPMS 10rd I have.

I built a 22-250 on the 308 reciever, just finished it about a month ago, and have only sighted it in at 100 and have not had time to shoot it any more.

I'm not sure, but isn't a 1-8 twist kind of fast for this round?

My bolt gun is a 1-14, and the Rem 700 barrel I used for this is a 1-12

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26/Tracycoy/IMG_3017.jpg

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26/Tracycoy/IMG_3016.jpg

If you have a photo server, you can copy the direct link then paste in your message area. ( you need to save pics on your photo server first)

Jgun, it is a smokin' hot, flat shooting .22 caliber round.  Yes, a person may use the same bullets as .223 Rem but there are other options.

Those I know that have them say they shoot barrels out fast, 3k-4k rounds.  One guy switched from .22-250 to .204 Ruger, because with the bigger round on prarie dogs his barrel was glowing and he had to stop shooting.

Jon

One of my friends went with .260 Rem over .308 on his bench rest bolt action build. He told me that it was ballistically superier to the 7.62X51, flatter shooting, with longer range. I was considering possibly trying it in an AR, but, I'm thinking it might have the same issue of excellerated wear and short barrel life that you're describing with the .22-250

My younger brother and I have shot the 22-250 for over 40 years.

Rapid bbl wear IS A MYTH!!!!!  I built a lot of them befor Remington made it a factory ctg.  It wears the bbl no more than any other hotshot 22.  For many years, he 40's and 50's it was used extensivly in early bench rest shooting.

My current 22-250 has almost 6,000 rds through it, and while it dosen't shot 3/8" groups anymore, it dose shoot 3/4" all day.

This "wear the bbl myth" has  no basis in fact.

Respectfully

Terry

I've never heard of rapid barrel wear in the .22-250. It can be a problem in the .220 Swift. But that round can crack out 50 grainers at 4k fps and maybe slightly higher.

It's pretty cool that you can get away with using unmodified .308 mags in the .22-250 AR. A 1 in 8 twist will allow for the stabilization of heavier bullets, something the .22-250 should be quite capable of handling, one would think.

1/8 twist is fast for 22-250..... but it will let you shoot heavy bullets ...that and the Swift tend to be loaded with light bullets to get high velocity,  which I think is a little overrated..no need to drive'em at 4000 fps....I shoot 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tips and 53 gr. V max's in my Rem 700 Swift and 22-250 varmint rifles. Found them to be more accurate than a 35-45 gr. bullet smoking out the barrel at 4K + .. like to shoot heavy bullets that I load in . 223.. with fast twist barrels...

ok well here is a pic. I am not a photographer so it kinda sucks sorry.

For this build I used a DPMS Lr-308 A3 upper and Lower. I used a DPMS BCG. The Gas system is DPMS and is rifle length.  The lower and Upper parts kits were also DPMS.

I put a Bill Springfield worked over DPMS trigger in. It is crisp and breaks at 3 lbs. This trigger is rediculous for the price and he was awesome to deal with I highly recomend him.

The pistol grip is a Magpul MIAD Modular grip, because i like the different core insert options.

The stock is a Magpul PRS.

The barrel is a 22" Stainless steel 1:8 RHT twist bull Barrel from Phil Harris at Harris Gunworks. Phil was absolutely fantastic. I say bull barrel because im not sure how else to describe it, it is 1.2" behind the gas block and Heavy. It also has a custom made muzzel break/compensator on it, again made by Phil.

I used a JP Enterprise Modular Handgurd Sysytem for the front end. I put a full length rail on the top and a 4" rail at 9.

The magazine is a 20 rd Magpul PMAG. I got this because its cheaper than a 10rd DPMS mag. I will pick up some smaller mags in the future.

I am using a Harris H series bipod 13"-23".

The scope in the Picture is a Pulsar Digisight N550. Im not sure if it will stay on the rifle as I am considering going 22-250 for a day rifle and 204 for my night hunting setup.

Thats pretty much my build if you have any questions feel free to ask

post-485-136297272778_thumb.jpg

I'll give you my name and address so that you won't forget me come next Christmas! By then you'll have built two more that are even snazzier and will have gotten tired of this one, so you'll know where to send it. LOL

As far as the mags go, it's a heckuva lot cheaper to buy the Pmag 20 rounder and cut it down to the desired capacity. Somewhere on this forum a member was kind enough to document the process. I did it years ago with a 30 rd plastic Orlite mag to 10 round in the AR15. I'm still using the magazine, it works like a champ.

I recently paid almost $60 bucks with P&H for a 4 rounder from DPMS for the LR308. Didn't think of cutting a Pmag as I had done years earlier with the Orlite for the AR15 until someone documented it here. Won't be making that mistake again.

The gun Shot well enough- I had 1.2" 3 shot group, from prone with out a bench rest and a fixed 4X Sight. I was using Factory Hornaday 40 grain Vmax. This is a light bullet for the 1:8 twist and as I start to roll my own i hope to shrink this down. I could see the target but couldnt make out any definition as far as Xring, 10ring, 9ring, etc. It was just one big black circle. So I think once I put my 3-9 Nikon on it it should be better. "Aim small, Miss Small"

The problem I had was that it didnt cycle at all. I believe I may have to Open the gas port a little bit, but any other Ideas you have I would greatly appreciate.

Chris

The problem I had was that it didn't cycle at all. I believe I may have to Open the gas port a little bit, but any other Ideas you have I would greatly appreciate.

Did it open the bolt , move the BCG back at all ?

What BCG are you using ?

What buffer & spring are you using ?

Running her wet with oil ?

Did you assemble the upper ?

& I probable have more questions ,but these will work for now .

The BCG did not open or appear to move. It was night and I was by myself so unsure if that is true. The case didnot eject, and was still in chamber when i when I manually cycled the bolt.

It is a DPMS BCG

Its a DPMS 308 Buffer Assembly

I have lightly lubed it

I did assemble the Upper.