• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lilja barrel break-in?

So I received my barrel and was reading the instructions to properly break in the barrel:

1. clean barrel after every shot for the first 10-12 rounds or until copper fouling stops with a wet patch of solvent.

2. wet the bronze brush with solvent and stroke the barrel 5-10 times followed by another wet patch and than a dry patch

3. soak the barrel with a strong copper removing solvent until all the blue mess is removed from the barrel

4. start shooting 5 shot groups and clean after each one

5. after 25-30 rounds clean at normal interval of 10-25 rounds

6. you barrel is now broken-in

my question is when I stroke the barrel with the bronze brush do I go back and forth or do I go foward and take the brush out and than repeat again.

I was always taught to never go backwards. I's kind of like  poop shoot. exit only

thoughts? 

I was always taught to never go backwards. I's kind of like  poop shoot. exit only

thoughts? 

You've already got it figured out there. :D

(p.s. when I was in the military, we simply scrubbed it back/forth just so that we could pass the inspection... who cares, since it wasn't ours. <lmao> )

Edited by shibiwan

I thought Lilja barrels were final hand lapped?

Breaking in a barrel is for barrels that haven't been final lapped - if they have been final lapped, there's nothing to break-in.  The final lapping smoothes everything that you would have to smooth with a non-finished barrel, and the break-in process.

Other thoughts?

If it makes you feel better to do the break in process then do it. As 98 said hand lapped that barrel I bet is as smooth as glass. Lija makes fine barrels.

If it was me I would take it out shoot it 50 times.Then give it one good cleaning. Then dont clean it again till you start seeing accuracy issues just my 2cents.

My thoughts on barrel break in is to smooth out any machine marks left by the reamer in the throat.  Lapping a barrel just smoothes out any burrs, ridges and any irregularities left during the rifling process.  By using a lead lap formed in the rifling and coated with a fine abrasive, it is worked back and forth and using several laps.  I'm told this is an acquired skill to know the correct feel.  But you all knew that so what do I know.  <dontknow>   But my experience with custom barrels has been usually within 5 rnds, all copper has ceased.  I did do the Mike Rock barrel treatment method once and didn't get any copper fouling until after about 100 rnds.  Factory barrels are another story.