• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

An M92 enroute...

greenmist

• 3 weeks later...

Numbers, letters, acronym burnout......SNAFU!

Ha, OK, pistol arrived with (2) Romanian steel 30 rd mags. in a cardboard box, chamber flag, Owners manual that doubles for their M85 as well.(the 5.56), IIRC production date on this unit was FEB 2013.

So, first impressions: Hmmm, this has zero similarities to that Norinco SKS I found at a garage sale some years ago. This unit is made by Zastava in Serbia, evidently with some rough tooling as mentioned in this YouTube video. At about 6:45 he gets into the basic take down and where to polish her up a bit to smooth out the action.

Yes, this is my first AK based unit, and my first piston anything. As the YT video denotes some hand polishing was necessary to get this action to run as I felt it should feel.

I used the Eagle One "never-dull" wadding polish, some latex gloves and go to work: the sides of the BCG where you can feel it running against the Krinkov-style lift cover, the insides of the cover itself where you'd imagine the piston assembly slides through, and the rails in receiver where the piston assembly runs in/on. Also, I noted one extra spot which needed detailing.

When you remove the bolt itself from inside the piston assembly, look at the machined slot where it moves and rides, on the piston assembly: I could actually make out the route of the machine tooling which had cleared/cleaned it out. As the bolt is supposed to be able to move freely withing that path, I simply did a little extra work in that area, and put a light film of Honda Moly 60 paste between those interfaces.

First off, I just wiped off and rinsed everything down with my WD-40 / Synthetic Lube mix, and then went to cleaning surfaces with the old tooth brushes. Wiped it all down again and then sprayed off most areas with a chlorine free brake-clean aerosol, wiped down again, and then a nice liberal spray of my 40/lube concoction to let it soak and drain for a day.

Apex gun works is a great website for these little units: I ordered the Echo-93 single point sling mount bracket, which simply slides under the pistol grip. I used the Dremel to take the edges off the bracket, rounding it off for a crude de-horn, and used some Birchwood Casey Super Blue for the cold blue touch up on that unit, and a dab of blue thread locker on the grip's bolt.  I also ordered the Manticore NightBrake from Apex.

Using the Dremel cut off wheel went through the spot weld on the thread protector which it comes with. Remember it's a left hand thread, so when you break the weld you'll turn to the right to remove it. Clean up: using Dremel grind wheel, clean off the rest of the spot weld there near where the thread protector was, wipe off the excessive crap you'll find on the barrel's thread area, and touch up with the Super Blue again. Install the Manticore (922R compliant) with some blue Thread locker again. You might want to order the detent pin/spring from Apex as well-I simply used the thread locker, and if I don't like that I'll simply make a spring/pin set up.

As the YT vid mentioned I also threw on some Minwax stain to the furniture, whatever tickles your fancy. I'll clip on an old Blackhawk single-point that's buried in the gun room somewhere and hit the range soon to see how she runs. A rifle caliber pistol in a 10" barrel, w/o needing any extra paperwork? Hell yeah...