• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to reloading, bullet seating depth

beachmaster

I just reloaded my first ever 20 rnds using a Lee hand press.

I used

mke headstamped once fired brass (fired by me)(Turkish)

CCI large rifle primers

Imr4064 (43 grains, minimum load according to Lee for 150 grain bullet)

M80 147 grain surplus bullets

Starting out, the Lee directions tell you where to set the bullet seater in the press, but it says nothing about how to adjust it at the top, so I started with the top screwed in all the way, as it came, and gradually moved up until I got it to match the zq1 Turkish factory loaded ammo I have. This brought me right to the cannalure (sp)

Here are the results

NCM_0371_zpszwbyoy0l.jpg

The round to the left is factory loaded.

My question is what should I do with the first four rounds? Should i just yank the bullet, resize, and re seat? Can I resize the bullet with power and primer inside if I am careful?

Any advice on this, or generally any reloading would be much appreciated.

BTW, all brass was full length sized, but next time i shoot I will try to fire form my brass with the collet die.

You used a minimum charge of powder... just shoot them. The added pressure of the deep seating will not be excessive and will not hurt anything. If you are still worried used a kinetic puller or a collet puller setup. Most manuals will have a minimum height for OAL per projectile. Once you move up to longer projectiles your maximum OAL will be just less than the magazine size. There is a sweet spot of 2.795" to 2.805" (165gr to 180gr + ) on 308Win ammo on the longer bullets and 2.780" to 2.790" on the shorter bullets(147gr to 150gr).

Well I am using a Lee bullet seater, so I set it to put a case to the cannalure, matching the factory loaded ammo, and I left the setting there.

So although I am not doing any trimming, I just used the cannelure to get me into the ball park compared to the ammo I had it compared to.

Thanks for all the info! Utilizing what I have, I will just shoot the rounds.

There is a ton of knowledge on this forum! I know I will learn quickly, and i cant wait. There is so many thing to learn for reloading, especially when it comes to precision reloading.

There is so many thing to learn for reloading, especially when it comes to precision reloading.

That's easy - seriously.  It's time consuming, and you have to stay very alert for it, but...

All you do is follow each step every single time. 

*Make sure every case is trimmed to the same length, and sort those suckers by weight.  Consistent cases.

*Hand seat all your primers.  Go for the exact same "feel" or pressure to seat them, and don't overseat them.  If one doesn't feel right, or takes more pressure to seat, that case goes into the "Range Ammo" pile.  It's not used for precision loading.

*Measure every single powder drop.  Every one.

*Seat every bullet to the same depth.

*Measure the OAL once loaded.  If one is shorter, don't mix it in with the rest when you're going for accuracy on targets.  It won't run the same, and will impact differently.  If one is longer, no big deal - seat it deeper.

Literally, that's it, in a nutshell.  When loading for precision, you want every single one that you make to be like all the others.  It's about consistency. 

Coming UP with the load is a different subject.

Very cool!

I def need to work on case prep for precision. I dont have a tumbler or a case trimmer.

As it is, I hand primed all the ammo i did, and i could feel exactly what you are talking about. And i measured every charge exactly, which often to two, three, or more tries.

The Lee scale doesn't like to lock the slide portion of the scale in place, so I have to make sure it hasn't moved for each round. Once I get more Lee scoopers, measuring with that scale will be easier, so that will be nice.

Right now I am trying to play with small changes to look at accuracy, like crimp vs non crimp, etc, without me touching any other variables. But I do have a separate pile of ammo for plinking only.

Not that I am a precision shooter, or that this will be a accurate round. Its all cheap components and tools.

Anyways, im learning. I appreciate everyones input!

Right now I am trying to play with small changes to look at accuracy, like crimp vs non crimp, etc,

If you're running this ammo through a semi-auto, make cure it has some kind of crimp on it, roll-crimp, taper-crimp, whatever.  If they're completely UNcrimped, you will have bullet setback sometime.  You will.  When the projo gets pushed back in the case, the pressures go up...

That's pretty much what my first loading experience was like.

Now, when using a new bullet type, I back out the seating stem and then incrementally seat the first round until the desired Over All Length (OAL) is reached.  The second round gets measured, to ensure that the incremental seating on the first one wasn't a fluke.

I'm digging my Lee Hand Press!  Can sit around sizing and depriming while doing just about anything, even move on to flaring pistol brass mouths.  Nice to not have to be chained to the bench.

Yeah the hand press is great! As long as I clean my cases well, and lubricate them enough, even resizing is super easy.

I guess it is easy to say the process has been enjoyable before you have pulled the trigger lol.

Can anyone post a picture of a properly crimped 308 case? Using the Lee crimped, I simply got a very small line just below the mouth of the case. Ill post a picture tomorrow.

That was a very interesting article! I would need to lock my rifle into a sled to find that perfect load though, thats for sure, because right now with iron sights, no spotting scope, and a backpack to rest the rifle on... I dont have the ability to find an accurate load. I need to work first on becoming an accurate shooter!

Crimp pressure is subjective ! More by feel. Light crimp is better but be consistance.

If you have a cannelure ... use it , you would have lost a little COAL. But gained consistancy by crimping on the cannelure. JMO.

I agree with this

post-12828-0-44380500-1393966315_thumb.j

First one (left cartridge ) Is a Factory PPU 175gr match round

Second ( middle) is my 147gr plinking load mixed brass (this one FC)

Third my 168gr A-max load PPU brass twice fired.

As you can see it looks like the factory round has no crimp at all and my A-max load has a light crimp. With the 147gr bullet having a cannelure I went with what I call a medium crimp because of the mixed cases the crimp will very some from round to round. I tried to measure the crimp up by the case mouth to show how much difference there is between them.

Factory PPU 175gr        .336"

147gr FC case               .325"

168gr A-max PPU case  .333