• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Powder

unforgiven

Whatever useful powder was there didn't last long.

In fact, I'm going to take this as an opportunity to rant. Normally I'm patient and will give the benefit of the doubt to the manufacturers when they say the demand is outstripping the supply. But enough is enough! For almost two years now we've put up with very little to no suitable powders for our rifles. Instead, there's tons of crappy, slow burning powder that is only suitable for 50 BMG and an occasional 1lb bottle of something we want. DAMN IT! Hodgdon, Accurate, Winchester, IMR, where the hell is our powder!

Rant off.

Not a myth…same crew of azzwipes are the one hogging up all the .22 ammo.

At Sportsman's a couple of weeks back, the crowd crushing the ammo pallet as it came out got out of hand and someone shoved a little girl down.

I told the manager if it had happened with me there, there would have been an ass beating, a citizen's arrest for assault.

I'm thinking about going in there and taking all their photos, then having friends of mine post those photos at the gunshows with "These are who buys .22 ammo at normal prices and gouges you here at the gunshow."

Everyone needs to quit buying from them.

Whatever useful powder was there didn't last long.

In fact, I'm going to take this as an opportunity to rant. Normally I'm patient and will give the benefit of the doubt to the manufacturers when they say the demand is outstripping the supply. But enough is enough! For almost two years now we've put up with very little to no suitable powders for our rifles. Instead, there's tons of crappy, slow burning powder that is only suitable for 50 BMG and an occasional 1lb bottle of something we want. DAMN IT! Hodgdon, Accurate, Winchester, IMR, where the hell is our powder!

Rant off.

I specifically asked a Hodgdon Rep this question at the SHOT booth of theirs - "VARGET, have you guys stopped making it?  Because it can't be found ANYWHERE..."  He laughed, and said "No, last year, during all this stuff, we made 50,000 pounds of VARGET, and shipped it."

Hoarders, brother, hoarders.  The manufacturers haven't slowed down what they're doing.  On the opposite side of that, they've hired more people to run more shifts, and they're making more of it now...

I specifically asked a Hodgdon Rep this question at the SHOT booth of theirs - "VARGET, have you guys stopped making it?  Because it can't be found ANYWHERE..."  He laughed, and said "No, last year, during all this stuff, we made 50,000 pounds of VARGET, and shipped it."

Hoarders, brother, hoarders.  The manufacturers haven't slowed down what they're doing.  On the opposite side of that, they've hired more people to run more shifts, and they're making more of it now...

Didn't you pick up some H110 from one of them? Stop feeding the trolls!!  <laughs>

I don't doubt what he told you,  but 50,000 lbs is only 6250 8lb kegs. That would be an average of 125 8lb kegs per state. Frankly, that isn't very much.

Yes, I've heard all the plausible explanations of the shortage (hoarders, government buying up ammo supplies, etc.) I've even contacted Western who were very polite and said they were shipping powders every day. I believed it for a while, but there's no excuse for it now. There's been a surplus of many different but unsuitable powders for the last few years. Something is just not adding up. No, I don't wear a tin foil hat and there are no black helicopters circling overhead (they're olive drab), but I'm no longer satisfied with the explanations and excuses we're getting from the manufacturers.

I don't doubt what he told you,  but 50,000 lbs is only 6250 8lb kegs. That would be an average of 125 8lb kegs per state. Frankly, that isn't very much.

Yes, I've heard all the plausible explanations of the shortage (hoarders, government buying up ammo supplies, etc.) I've even contacted Western who were very polite and said they were shipping powders every day. I believed it for a while, but there's no excuse for it now. There's been a surplus of many different but unsuitable powders for the last few years. Something is just not adding up. No, I don't wear a tin foil hat and there are no black helicopters circling overhead (they're olive drab), but I'm no longer satisfied with the explanations and excuses we're getting from the manufacturers.

When  you read of all the ammo the Fed is purchasing , its no wonder there are component shortages & ammo . Never in my life have they made so many in so short of time . Not to mention for a ten year procurement , no less .

Follow the money trail !

Edited by survivalshop

That's just the VARGET, brother - look at all the other powders they have to manufacture...

That's just the VARGET, brother - look at all the other powders they have to manufacture...

Varget isn't manufactured here. It's made in Australia, imported, then packaged here. They should simply import more. That shouldn't be too hard for Hodgon to do, right? :D

Edited by shibiwan