• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Now the fun begins.....

Sisco

Came today 16" AR10T. Open mind as to optics.

Any thoughts?post-13300-0-88466000-1397158321_thumb.j

To start thinking of a Lucid red dot. Eventually looking at LaRue quick release scope mount with a Nikon M-308 BDC 4x16 but open to good advice and suggestions thanks 98.

Edited by Sisco

Now that I have had a chance to look it over, here are my impressions. It is a little lighter and balances better, at least with an empty magazine than my AR 10 A4. Three tenths of a pound, to be exact. The trigger, ahhh the trigger! My first experience with a modern National Match trigger, since my Colt NM HBAR dates to 1994. That alone was worth the purchase. I can see I will be spending some coin for some after market triggers for my other AR's. All in all I am very satisfied. But the range after break inwill tell the tale. I put my Old Sightron Red Dot on it for now, and it came with a Harris type bipod. A better picture is below.post-13300-0-38244100-1397178651_thumb.j

Came today 16" AR10T. Open mind as to optics.

Any thoughts?

To start thinking of a Lucid red dot. Eventually looking at LaRue quick release scope mount with a Nikon M-308 BDC 4x16 but open to good advice and suggestions thanks 98.

Nice rifle!!

.... I had the Nikon M-308 BDC and wasn't too happy with it. The exit pupil sizing isn't quite right so you spend more time fighting the "black shadow ring" effect than getting a good sight picture. Uncharacteristic of the Nikon IMO.  It also came with a 20MOA Nikon mount but that mount sucked (can't take off and put back on without requiring a complete re-zero).

Brought it back to Cabelas and exchanged it for a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MRAD. Great value for the money IMO. You may want to check out the 4-16x50 FFP version of the Viper PST. Not sure what you want to do with the rifle though. Short range or long range? I also have a Burris FF-III piggybacked on the scope tube just in case I need it....plus the MBUS Pro for iron-sight only matches.

Edited by shibiwan

GM, thanks for the heads up on the sale. Your tip made it possible. Thumbs up man.

Sure, I know it's not popular but I like to share information that others can benefit from.

I'll be curious to hear your shooting impressions on it. Check the PSA website-they are having a pretty decent "Easter Sale" right now with some decent Vortex units in it...  

Nice rifle!!

.... I had the Nikon M-308 BDC and wasn't too happy with it. The exit pupil sizing isn't quite right so you spend more time fighting the "black shadow ring" effect than getting a good sight picture. Uncharacteristic of the Nikon IMO.  It also came with a 20MOA Nikon mount but that mount sucked (can't take off and put back on without requiring a complete re-zero).

Brought it back to Cabelas and exchanged it for a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MRAD. Great value for the money IMO. You may want to check out the 4-16x50 FFP version of the Viper PST. Not sure what you want to do with the rifle though. Short range or long range? I also have a Burris FF-III piggybacked on the scope tube just in case I need it....plus the MBUS Pro for iron-sight only matches.

I have heard the Nikon mount sucked that is why I am thinking LaRue. I have the Nikon Monarch 4x16 on my AR10A4, with a RRA mount, and that works well.I will check out the Vortex.

Another question. I am thinking of getting a Magpul PRS, I don't know with the AR10T carbine which currently has the A2 stock, if I need to replace the extension tube, recoil spring and buffer assembly or not. Got a email into Armalite tech support on that one. Anybody know the answer?

GM thanks for the PSA heads up.

I don't know with the AR10T carbine which currently has the A2 stock, if I need to replace the extension tube, recoil spring and buffer assembly or not. .

If you have an A2 stock on there now, you have the "rifle length receiver extension" already.  To make the A2 stock work on the A1 rifle receiver extension, they devised a 5/8" extension for the end of it, and a new vented screw that was 5/8" longer than the standard A1 vented screw.  That's all the A2 is - 5/8" longer stock, 5/8" spacer, and 5/8" longer vented screw. 

It still uses a rifle buffer, and a rifle-lengthed buffer spring.

To run a PRS on your rig, you need to remove your A2 stock, the 5/8" spacer, and the long-ass vented screw.  Mount the new PRS on it, and use the screw that MagPul sends with the PRS stock.  Done.  Internals inside that receiver extension don't need to change.

Thank you for your help gentlemen. Like I said, now the fun begins. Looking forward to customizing it, and learning some new things as well.

Thinking about investigating Melonite coating for the barrel. I have a Sig pistol with a similar coating on the slide and it is indestructible and a low visual signature. Right now that stainless barrel jumps out at you.

Edited by Sisco

For future reference, Armalite said it would be a direct exchange with no modifications necessary, as I had the A2 stock. Unfortunately the PRS I was looking at was a closeout for nearly half price, and it was gone by this morning. So I missed it. No one but myself to blame.

Ive got one m-308 and buying another....awesome scope for the price point.....the substentions work with 168gr bullets.......it works with holdover out to 500yds....thats as far as my range is....I even use my prescription shooting glasses with it.....never have probs with eye relief.....ive been researching vortex HS

and some other vortexes.....they seem from feed back/reviews to have eye relief probs

:) Wash

Lesson 65b got your a$s! <lmao>

After looking at the weight, I am not so sorry I missed on it. I might have put in on my AR10A4 instead. I think I am going to keep the AR10T carbine compact. Might go for the Ergo F93 instead. Or even keep the A2 stock for now. Optics are a higher priority. I think I will go for something in the 2-6 or 2-7x variable range. That lets me cover from close to 400++ yards. I already have the AR10 rifle set up with a 4x16 Nikon Monarch, so I think I will keep this one close to midrange. If I change my mind I can always swap the Nikon onto it.

Edited by Sisco