• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 AR Wood Furniture

redneckmedic

I have seen tons of pics via search engines online, and heard that there are several companies that make wood furniture for the AR platform. However I can't seem to find any that are offered in AR-10.

1) Does anyone have a few vendors that sale this line?

2) Is is possible to free float a wood handguard? Is it possible to attach a bipod to a wood handguard?

Thanks,

RNM

If it's possible to free float it, there's surely a way to attach a bipod stud to it and mount up a bipod.  Only possibility I could even think of to free float a wood handguard is something like the Armalite NM/SM M16A2 handguard setup.  If you could make that work on the AR-10, you'd be set. 

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EU0069&ReturnUrl=Categories2.aspx?Category=45f6bc67-3421-4352-9e69-d7ca92c9662d

Worth a tech call to Armalite, or maybe mrraley will see this one...  <thumbsup>

• 11 months later...

Update on this, for more information.  I ended up picking up a wood set from Precision Firearms.

http://www.precisionfirearms.com/

The pistol grip and buttstock will certainly fit on the AR-10, or other .308 ARs.  As far as the forearm goes, it depends on that is "stock" on your particular rifle.  If what you have runs standard A1 or A2 handguards from an AR-15, then it'll work.  Likewise, if you're running standard M4 carbine hanquards, then the carbine wood handguards would work. 

For freefloating the wood hanguards - as of right now, Mark (@ Precision Firearms) is working on setting up a set of handguards that will work with a National Match-type freefloat sleeve.  The current version of the rifle handguards will not work with a NM freefloat sleeve, not it's required NM gas tube. 

As soon as the freefloat hadguards are released, I'll get a quick review of them up.  I'll be on that waiting list.  <thumbsup>

Wood12.jpg

Rifle details here:

http://308ar.com/forum/black-rifles/re-swfabobro-scope-mount-review/

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen the wood furniture for AR rifles before and they do look nice.

One thing that you have to think about though when I saw mention of free float is that you do not want a wood tube like the ArmaLite aluminum free float tube. There would be a concern of strength or flexing.

Now for a two piece hand guard, weather it be on a free float tube or just standard drop in hand guard you would have no problem.

If it is designed like the standard plastic hand guard you would not have to drill or screw anything into the wood hand guard, use something like the No. 5 mount from Harris to attach the bi-pod to the hand guard and you should be good to go.

One thing that you have to think about though when I saw mention of free float is that you do not want a wood tube like the ArmaLite aluminum free float tube. There would be a concern of strength or flexing.

Now for a two piece hand guard, weather it be on a free float tube or just standard drop in hand guard you would have no problem.

What Precision Firearms is working on is a set of handguards that will fit on a NM free float sleeve, and clear the NM gas tube for it.  All these things are CNC cut, so it's going to be a slight change in design (for strength), but will still be internally machined to clear the sleeve components.  <thumbsup>

Here's what the inside of the guards looks like now:

Wood10.jpg

The way these are machined now, they're closely following the standard gas tube - no way they'd clear the NM float sleeve and gas tube.  Hopefully, the exterior dimensions won't need to change much, and look the same as they do now - or close to it. 

Again, guys, this is for the AR-15-sized rifles, as far as what fits.  Transferring it all over to the Big Brother will be trial and error (and parts/dimensions matching) on your part.  If what you have is from an AR-15, or fits an AR-15, then this stuff should do the exact same.  <thumbsup>

• 2 weeks later...

I looked in to this while planning for a synthetic furniture set and found a solution which I am 98% sure will work for wood. Basically, there's a way to leave enough opening to allow it to be fitted without sacrificing durability by making the surfaces shallow only in those areas, which, luckily, are all areas that can afford to have thin in spots.

If I make an LR308 furniture set, the handguard will probably be free-floating.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the grips and butt stock will work just fine on the LR-308 but as said, the forend may be the snag.  I have done free floating wood on one of my ARs using the NM free float sleeve and it worked out fine, and you could drill and tap the sleeve for a bipod stud.  You do have to do a lot of thinning and re-cut the gas tube channel a lot but it doesn't take too long with a Dremel.  By the time you thin the wood to go around the sleeve it is very thin on the bottom but the metal tube on the sleeve is thick enough, especially if you add a nut on the inside of the sleeve to offer more security to the stud.  The wood stocks I used are from Dan Konrad and I bet if you talk to Dan he can give you some idea of what will work with the LR-308 or AR-10 rifles. 

Here is my .458 SOCOM woody done on a Konrad AA fancy piece of black walnut.

458-woody-web-3.jpg

And a half wood LR-308 in .470 Rhino using a Konrad grip, DPMS wood stock (Konrad stocks are much stronger by the way, that double sided cheek piece is for more than looks), and a 'dipped' DPMS forend tube.

[img width=810 height=270]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/BiggBore/All%20ARs/470-Rhino-w.jpg

This is the 5.56 woody done on the NM free float sleeve. 

[img width=810 height=254]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/BiggBore/All%20ARs/556-Woody-1-web.jpg

The wood stocks I used are from Dan Konrad and I bet if you talk to Dan he can give you some idea of what will work with the LR-308 or AR-10 rifles. 

HIs website has been disabled for a long time now - I've been searching for his stuff for a long time, based on your posts from ARF about it.  What I eventually found was Presicion Firearms ( http://www.precisionfirearms.com/ ), after searching for Dan Konrad so for long. 

There's alot of nice furniture out there - it just seems like nobody wants to talk about where they got it, or the places they got it are no longer in business, or doing it anymore.

No offense Big Bore - there's just not many real places out there to find the good stuff.  The DPMS and RRA stuff looks like it just came out of the bandsaw, and it's not even quality material for people to work with, unless they're woodworkers by trade. 

The Dan Konrad links just don't work, man.    <dontknow>

Well, son of a gun.  It has not been that long since I have been there, 6-9 months maybe, but sure enough, his site is down.  I still have his business card with his information (if that is still current?) so you might try reaching him via e-mail or telephone.

Konradd@bellsouth.net

1-931-962-1609

• 10 months later...

Thanks guys.  If I were going to carry it in the field I'd switch it back to lighter furniture but this will be fine for range time.  Precision offers a few different kits in both laminate and solid.  I chose the black laminate since I think it "works" with the rest of the rifle.

• 1 year later...

Hello! I realize that this thread is very old. However I have a question that is very much related to it. Flatwins, when you put the precision furniture on your rifle, did you have to modify them at all? I ask because I am looking to remove a set of tactical furniture and replace it with wood. Also, how difficult was it to remove the existing furniture from the lr 308? I have read that they use proprietary parts and tools that make it very difficult to remove.