• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Plate Carriers

planeflyer21

I have this super awesome BAE Eclipse RBAV-SF in khaki that is too big for me. It holds XL plates and BALCS armor.

SOMEBODY.... I'm not saying who.... says he wants it. We'll see if he comes through.

My next PC will likely be the Mayflower-RC LPAC. No permanent attached gear. I'll add a Grey Ghost Assault Pack and a HSP D3 chest rig when I need them.

All Kryptek.... of course.

MechArmor is now offering very high-end Body Armor at the lowest prices we can, so if you are looking for high- end Advanced Ceramic FRP composite body armor, (UHMWPE)- Ultra High Molecular Weight Poly-Ethylene armor, or Ultra Lightweight Boron Carbide Ceramic armor, rather than the dangerous Commercial AR500 steel plate body armor available out there, we are the source.  Our first complete kit offering is a full vest with A/P- Armor Piercing Rifle bullet mitigation capability at the same price as all those selling the dangerous AR500 steel plate vests, which DO NOT stop A/P bullets.

The link to our new 4400 Series Active Shooter Kit is here - 4400 Active Shooter Kit

There will also be a 3400 Series Active Shooter Kit available soon which is extremely light weight (UHMWPE) design, and will stop all of the same rifle ammunition as the 4400 series armor plates "accept" for the A/P bullets. We will also have two other series of Stand Alone plates available on the website, and about six other series of super high-end ballistic plates not shown on the site, but available by special order request.  All plates are also available individually, and can be mixed and matched to suit. 

What are you using?  Whose do you like?

Are these another of those "Pay once-cry once" pieces of gear?

https://www.diamondbacktactical.com/store/plate_carriers/

http://lbtinc.com/vest-h-gear-carriers/plate-carriers/modular-plate-carrier-c.html

These are two robust units.  I have much more time in the first one than the second one. 

As far as being a Pay once-cry once, piece of gear.....I don't think so.  I have worked with guys who went much cheaper and they don't seem to lose anything by going less expensive.  Most reasonably build carriers will last a while, but they are a wearable item and do show wear (holes wear, molle rips, hook and loop less "hooky"  etc).  The ability to keep your plates from flopping around  (solidly build velco straps inside to secure them) will definitely extend the life of the carrier.   

Edited by StainTrain

Not going to lie, I'm kind of wary about this. They spend over 80% of the page talking about why not to buy AR500 armor instead of giving us information on their actual plates. Also, why does their dimensions chart say "Gamma Plate"? Those aren't the specs for TAP Gamma plates (which are good plates). Their product photo shows multiple cuts of armor, but there aren't any options for choosing the cut in the drop down menu. Also, only claims of testing to NIJ 06 standards (not NIJ certification) is a bit suspect, especially without posting the independent lab test data.

As always beware the limitations of UHMWPE only plates, they don't stop SS109/M855/M855A1.

As for me, I run a Mayflower APC w/ ESAPIs (and no they're not stolen US Gov't plates).

I tried the TAG Banshee for a year, but didn't like how bulky the shoulders were and how the release buckles on the shoulders prevented me from shouldering my rifle.

Edited by FaRKle!

I can tell you this , by talking to & using MechArmor products & knowing who he sells to , I will give him the benefit of doubt . I didn't know they sold Armor & I plan on purchasing some shortly . I have to return his call now & ask him.

I will be the first to admit , I know Dodily Squat about Body Armor , so I have a lot to learn. 

I don't doubt MechArmor has stand up people, but armor is one thing you want to be 100% sure about. Since they don't have any pedigree in the armor business it would really help consumer confidence to post as much data as they have. Unfortunately, the sparse details they have posted are very similar to how shady/corner cutting armor companies post their info.

There have been plenty of great companies that have had defective armor products (anybody remember the DBT thin plate debacle?), so being very transparent is important.

Edited by FaRKle!

Okay...secondary question:

Are the plates of a universal size and dimension?  Meaning, if I buy carrier X, will the plates provided by supplier M fit inside?

Carriers are usually sized to the plate size they'll accept, with the standard being SAPI sizes. So if you order a "medium" carrier it means it's sized for medium SAPI plates. Carriers that deviate from this (such as those designed for swimmers cut only) will usually say so.

Most armor plates have two distinct shapes; Advanced Shooters Cut (ASC) or Swimmers Cut. They are often curved to contour to the body better.

Front and Rear Plates come in three common sizes; (Sm)8"x10", (Med)10"x12" and (Lrg)11"x14"

Side Plates come in two common sizes; 6"x6" and 6"x8"

Most plate carriers will take the Sm and Med plates, whether or not they state that. The carriers that accept the Lrg plates will generally make a specific note to say so.

Soft Armor also has different shapes and sizes.

I don't doubt MechArmor has stand up people, but armor is one thing you want to be 100% sure about. Since they don't have any pedigree in the armor business it would really help consumer confidence to post as much data as they have. Unfortunately, the sparse details they have posted are very similar to how shady/corner cutting armor companies post their info.

There have been plenty of great companies that have had defective armor products (anybody remember the DBT thin plate debacle?), so being very transparent is important.

You should call or email them with concerns & they may update the web sight info . There web sight has always been sparse with some info.

Most armor plates have two distinct shapes; Advanced Shooters Cut (ASC) or Swimmers Cut. They are often curved to contour to the body better.

Front and Rear Plates come in three common sizes; (Sm)8"x10", (Med)10"x12" and (Lrg)11"x14"

Side Plates come in two common sizes; 6"x6" and 6"x8"

Most plate carriers will take the Sm and Med plates, whether or not they state that. The carriers that accept the Lrg plates will generally make a specific note to say so.

Soft Armor also has different shapes and sizes.

+1

Edited by StainTrain

For hard plates, watch what they say in the description - There's a few different ways they can shape the plate:  single curve, double curve, or flat.  Double curve are more comfortable as a front plate, and single curve works just fine for a rear plate.  You don't need a double curve plate in back, for comfort.  Flat plates can dig into you when you're moving and static - depends on what kind of position you find youself in, or contort yourself into.