• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Soft point hunting bullets in .308 AR variant?

Anyone else have any experience with feeding soft point hunting bullets (Hornady spire points) in their AR variant? My DPMS LR 6.5 Creedmoor works great with 140gr plastic tipped bullets but gives me all kinds of trouble with soft points. It seems like the tips snag on the feed ramp or the breach at the top of the chamber and cause a jam. When they do feed, the brass gets gouged and the rifle ends up short stroking. Is this just me?

It runs great on 140 Amax factory and hand-loaded ammunition but it short strokes on 120gr Amax factory ammo. I've talked to DPMS about the 120gr short stroking and they're willing to take a look at it. I have no doubt they'll make it right, as they have a good reputation for customer service.

I'm trying to figure out if it's reasonable of me to expect it to run on soft points before I ask DPMS about it. Using hand-loaded ammo actually voids the warranty on the rifle and there is no soft point ammo available commercially. If it should function with soft points, I do want to ask DPMS to address any issues that might cause the problem.

The facts:
* This is a factory rifle. I bought it new, 120 rounds ago.

* I have lubed the snot out of it with CLP. Soaked the carrier and oil dripping on the ground while shooting.

* Identical operation between factory mag and Pmag.

* Factory Hornady Match 140gr Amax ammunition functions fine.

* Factory Hornady 120gr Amax ammunition short-strokes but feeds and ejects.

* Hand loaded Amax 140gr functions fine.

* Hand loaded soft points (130gr & 140gr)  FTF, FTE, short-stroke, gouged tips, bent cartridges.

* Rifle cleaned and lubed after every use and heavily lubed all moving parts before every use.

* No lead buildup on feed ramp.

* No visible leakage between the barrel and gas block.

* Correct (carbine) receiver extension, buffer, and spring.

2014-09-01070544_zps46fd6507.jpg

2014-09-01070558_zps905bddbf.jpg

2014-09-01070504_zps612b994e.jpg

What mags are you using? Different mags will cycle differently.

Fwiw, soft point ammo has historically been an issue with some AR type rifles. M4 feed ramps solved a little of that issue. Modern mags and bolts solved more.

If needed, you could put a polish on the feed ramp. A dremmel works best, but some 000 steel wool and flitz will suffice.

Can't compare your Variant ...But on my 308 ar the soft point 180gr projos get carved up by the feed ramps. Dings and nicks in the projos also. There are NO scratches in the brass.

I did a test a couple years ago with plastic tipped bullets. The results were very good and I would requimend using those types of bullets ! JMHO used every brand except Barnes.

Red , White , Green , Yellow ,Zombie Green.

I also have a factory built DPMS rifle,I've ran several different SP hunting bullets through mine (all handloads) with out issue.

Like Dane said the bullets will get dinged up especially ones with a lot of lead exposed. I run them in the 4 round steel mag that came with the rifle and I also run them in p-mags. Definitely prefer the p-mags, but so far no issues with the 4 rounder.

I have been advised against running SP through the gun so I have started to switch to plastic tipped projos.

I have multiple boxes of winchester "hog hammers" (that I got a deal on at academy due to a mislabeled shelf <thumbsup>) which are soft point projectiles and have no issues with my armalite.  It doesn't gouge the projectile or casing.  <dontknow>

Edited by BigP623

We are talking about a 6.5 Creedmooe & that cartridge has a completely different configuration then a 308 , steeper angles , long bullets. Altering & polishing the feed ramps may help , but I stay away from all soft point bullets in AR's , only takes one time for a piece of lead tip to jam up the rifle .

The marks on the brass are from the locking lugs on the barrel extension & the shaved lead from the soft point could be from the feed ramps or locking lug area or chamber face.

The dent in the brass in the one photo looks like the bolt closed on it .

The light weight bullet ammo may work better as the rifle breaks in or could be just light powder charge .

That's good information. I really have no need to use soft point ammo, other than my existing inventory. That can be reserved for my 6.5x55 and .264 mag. Also, I'm not interested in running 120gr projectiles but I would like to see it run them, just so I know the gas system is tight. I won't sweat the soft point feeding issue.

Edited by Agate Flats

• 1 month later...

Just my 2 cents, but most semi-autos are VERY picky about C.O.L.- particularly AR's.  Rounds that are too short can get tipped up on feeding and catch on the insideof the bolt extension. Additionally the guide races in the DPMS have very sharp edges/tips that cut up the brass on my LR-308. A little judicious smoothing with a Dremel and some valve grinding compound followed with polishing with JB's bore paste worked wonders on my rifle.

• 2 weeks later...