Tactical Scopes: Mechanical Performance Summary

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 8 months later...

The take-away I got from this is: get a reticle that allows you to use hold-overs to avoid dialing as much as possible.

Zero the Shepherd P2 range-finding scope at 100 yards with a Sierra 168 gr. Match bullet going 2700 fps and it is zeroed to 1000 yards without touching anything, except for windage.

They also make a model set for the same bullet at 2500 fps for rifles with shorter barrels and semi-auto's and another for high velocities.

I have 2 of them and I love mine.

Zero the Shepherd P2 range-finding scope at 100 yards with a Sierra 168 gr. Match bullet going 2700 fps and it is zeroed to 1000 yards without touching anything, except for windage.

They also make a model set for the same bullet at 2500 fps for rifles with shorter barrels and semi-auto's and another for high velocities.

I have 2 of them and I love mine.

Very cool - but what happens when you have a target that's beyond 100 yards, and not sitting at 1,000 yards?

Sounds like a cool scope for 1,000-yard benchrest shooters.  <thumbsup>   How does it do for the people that shoot between those ranges?

Very cool - but what happens when you have a target that's beyond 100 yards, and not sitting at 1,000 yards?

Sounds like a cool scope for 1,000-yard benchrest shooters.  <thumbsup>   How does it do for the people that shoot between those ranges?

There is a line with a circle that covers one inch at 100 yards for your 100 yard zero.  The 200 yard elevation line is a little below the 100 yard elevation line.

The 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 and 1000 all have their own circles which are smaller as the yardage increases.  They are also spaced farther apart on the verticle line in the center of the scope as the yardage increases.  The circles from 300 to 500 or 600 yards each have their own crosshairs inside of them too.

The inside of the circle covers an area 18" tall X 18" wide at the distance they are marked for.  An adult deer is pretty close to 18" from where his front leg touches his body to the top of his shoulder.

Say one circle is too big and one circle is too small.  Hold in-between those two circles and shoot.

There are two sets of turrets on these scopes.  One set adjusts the windage and the elevation and the other set (smaller knobs just behind the elevation and windage knobs)  centers the crosshairs after you zero your scope.  On the top of the scope and on the right side of the scope (when looking through the scope) is a line with hash marks on it.  These lines also move with the little turrets.  The top line will line up at "0" with the windage line of the scope's crosshairs and the line going up and down the right side of the scope will line up at "0" with the elevation line.  The lines go from +5 MOA to -5 MOA on both lines and they are marked at 5 on each side for the one going across the scope at the top and on the top and bottom of the line going up and down for the elevation.  They are also marked with a little line for each individual MOA.

After you have your scope zeroed and you have moved your crosshairs to center and your grid marks to zero (moving crosshairs to zero and gridmarks to zero are both done at the same time with the little adjustment knobs behind the windage and elevation adjustment knobs) you can tell instantly if your scope has been moved from where you had it zeroed just by looking at your grid marks on the top and on the side.  If the windage zero line and the elevation zero line (for 100 yards) have been moved then it shows up on the MOA grids.

This gives you a handy way of moving your crosshairs for windage without marking down how many clicks you moved your scope or writing it down.  When done with your shooting session simply use the grid marks on your MOA lines to move your crosshairs back to the zero marks.

These grids can also be used for range-finding. Say you know how long an enemy's rifle is.  You can use the MOA marks to figure out how far away he is.  This is all explained in the directions that come with the scope.

You can also use the 18" range-finding circles to range-find on a man.  A man is about 18" from his belt to his neck.

On the P2 scope, the one set for 2700 fps, the circles overlap and are set for every hundred yards.  I think it is the P3 which is set for higher velocities and the circles there are not set for 100 yard intervals.  The first circle appears at 340 yards on those scopes.

The P1 model, set for 2500 fps, is a little different too.

Visit the Shepherd site and see what it says.  It is not only the 168 gr. bullet which can be used, they give you a complete chart of calibers and velocities with which the scopes can be used and the MOA which they will be off every hundred yards when zeroed with that particular caliber and a particular weight bullet going at a particular velocity.  Usually it is within a few MOA.

Here's the link.  Check out their catalog, how to zero a scope with one shot, and the different scopes they make, including one for a .22 rimfire and another with a set of 24" range-finding circles for elk.  They also make a scope that has an elevation line with 18" range-finding circles AND when you flip a knob on the scope, that elevation line is replaced with the 24" range-finding circles.

These are nice scopes with excellent optics.  One inch tubes and 40mm objectives, not huge things like 35mm tubes and 56mm objectives.

They also aren't cheap.  I paid $800 for the "Varmit" 6X18 power scope six years ago.  The usual power is 3.5X10.5.

I think you will like these scopes, especially if you had the opportunity to use one for a day.  Hands-free range-finding at its best.

In my post above about the Shepherd scopes, the line that starts a paragraph, "After you have your scope zeroed and you have moved your crosshairs to center and your grid marks to zero (moving crosshairs to zero and gridmarks to zero..."

Should read, (moving crosshairs to CENTER, not crosshairs to zero.  Moving crosshairs to zero is done by the big knobs on the top and side of the scope.

When you move a Shepherd scope's crosshairs to zero your scope, the crosshairs actually MOVE!  After zeroing, you move the little knobs behind the big knobs to center everything.  And it works perfectly.

I first heard about Shepherd scopes in the early '90s.

The range finding was unique at the time, the "one-shot zero" not so much.

Never bought one as I've never seen one in person.  They don't have much press compared to many other optics options, operating the optimum optical marketplace.

I first heard about Shepherd scopes in the early '90s.

The range finding was unique at the time, the "one-shot zero" not so much.

Never bought one as I've never seen one in person.  They don't have much press compared to many other optics options, operating the optimum optical marketplace.

Shepherd scopes were very hard to get for a while, especially during the late 1990's and early 2000's.  They are, believe it or not, popular with the military.

Shepherd manages to sell a lot of them.  They have run a full page add in Shotgun News for the past 30 or so years.

Really.  Please expound.

For further information on Shepherd scopes and the military, look at the catalog on Shepherd's site.  It loads slow, took about 15 or 20 seconds on my machine.

That catalog explains a lot of things.  I can't look at the catalog for you.

For further information on Shepherd scopes and the military, look at the catalog on Shepherd's site. It loads slow, took about 15 or 20 seconds on my machine.

That catalog explains a lot of things. I can't look at the catalog for you.

Military folks don't really get more "military" than our friend Tom, thus his surprise. Just a heads up... :)

I used scopes for years, been around scopes for years - militarily.  Never once did I see this brand of scope on any military rifle.  Thus, the question.

I've never not once seen one in military use.  Anywhere.

Now, is it that military members use this brand on their own rifles, outside of the military?  Possibly.  Wouldn't doubt it.  However, there's no branch of the US military that uses these scopes, that I've ever seen.

I used scopes for years, been around scopes for years - militarily.  Never once did I see this brand of scope on any military rifle.  Thus, the question.

I've never not once seen one in military use.  Anywhere.

Now, is it that military members use this brand on their own rifles, outside of the military?  Possibly.  Wouldn't doubt it.  However, there's no branch of the US military that uses these scopes, that I've ever seen.

I have to agree.  And while I am not a member of the Military, I do dabble in the precision rifle community as part of my profession AND I, too, have never seen one of these scopes mounted on a working rifle.  

I have to agree.  And while I am not a member of the Military, I do dabble in the precision rifle community as part of my profession AND I, too, have never seen one of these scopes mounted on a working rifle.  

I liked how you phrased that...  you just "dabble" in it...  <thumbsup> <laughs> <lmao>