• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tactical Scopes: Mechanical Performance Summary

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used scopes for years, been around scopes for years - militarily.  Never once did I see this brand of scope on any military rifle.  Thus, the question.

I've never not once seen one in military use.  Anywhere.

Now, is it that military members use this brand on their own rifles, outside of the military?  Possibly.  Wouldn't doubt it.  However, there's no branch of the US military that uses these scopes, that I've ever seen.

When I got my DPMS LR .308 in 2002, I tried to buy a Shepherd scope for it.  Nobody had any, they all said they were going to the military.  I think being bought by the soldier himself to use.  Or by certain special forces types who can buy whatever they want.

There is a film on the Shepherd Scope website.  It shows soldiers firing weapons with Shepherd scopes on them.  There are also pictures of military people with Shepherd scopes and training stories from the military about Shepherd scopes.

Google counter sniper scopes. Another brand who spent a lot on marketing to make people think they were getting "military grade" equipment. This forum is the first time I've even heard of Shepherd scopes. Probably not the only one. 98 and stain have been there and done that. If these scopes were used with any regularity in official capacity, they would have seen it.

Not saying they aren't good, or that they didn't have the potential to survive real conditions, or that one was never used. I'm just skeptical it happened enough to disrupt civilian sales

Edited by blue109

Google counter sniper scopes. Another brand who spent a lot on marketing to make people think they were getting "military grade" equipment. This forum is the first time I've even heard of Shepherd scopes. Probably not the only one. 98 and stain have been there and done that. If these scopes were used with any regularity in official capacity, they would have seen it.

Not saying they aren't good, or that they didn't have the potential to survive real conditions, or that one was never used. I'm just skeptical it happened enough to disrupt civilian sales

I'd heard of Shepherd scopes and they have a good reputation, but being out of stock due to military sales sounds like a salesman's pitch.

but being out of stock due to military sales sounds like a salesman's pitch.

Amen.

Or by certain special forces types who can buy whatever they want.

I don't think those units would purchase the Sheperd Scopes.  Not so much from a quality standpoint (because I can't personally speak to that), but from a practical application one.   From what I can tell from the website,  none of Sheperd's offerings marry up with what has been taught for quite sometime...at least that I am aware of.   

Are you affiliated with Sheperd Scopes?

Edited by StainTrain

When I got my DPMS LR .308 in 2002, I tried to buy a Shepherd scope for it.  Nobody had any, they all said they were going to the military.  I think being bought by the soldier himself to use.  Or by certain special forces types who can buy whatever they want.

There is a film on the Shepherd Scope website.  It shows soldiers firing weapons with Shepherd scopes on them.  There are also pictures of military people with Shepherd scopes and training stories from the military about Shepherd scopes.

I was assigned to a Special Forces Group from 1995 through 2004.  Nobody had a Shepherd scope on a work gun at all. 

You are very correct. I am an H59 convert myself.

I have had my eye on this reticle type for some time,just haven't had the money for it yet.Soon though.More manufacturer's are incorporating this type in thier scopes.The warrenty from Horus itself is weak.Just my 2 mags.

I have had my eye on this reticle type for some time,just haven't had the money for it yet.Soon though.More manufacturer's are incorporating this type in thier scopes.The warrenty from Horus itself is weak.Just my 2 mags.

My H59 is stuffed in a Leupold Mark 6. I really like the Mark 6.

For further information on Shepherd scopes and the military, look at the catalog on Shepherd's site.  It loads slow, took about 15 or 20 seconds on my machine.

That catalog explains a lot of things.  I can't look at the catalog for you.

I looked at the catalog.  I also went through the testimonials.  The only military reference I could find in the testimonials was from a MSG Mark Delmont, with a faceless picture of two people.  One in a black shirt that has "5049th USAR Infantry School" on the back of it. 

For some reason, I can't find ANY reference to a 5049th US Army Reserve Infantry School anywhere.  Nowhere.  It's a unit that doesn't exist, and didn't exist...

post-7-0-22308200-1433706574_thumb.jpg

I did find a Mark Delmont that's a Deputy Sheriff,  on Linked.  Wonder if it's the same guy?...

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-delmont/59/29a/b76

Then there's this guy on FB - gotta be the same guy.  CCSO hat, and all. 

https://www.facebook.com/mark.delmont.1

Gotta be the guy that wrote that testimonial for them...  Coincidences being what they are these days.

Edited by 98Z5V