• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Working on a PSA PA-10 build

crimsonfalcon07

Got the new pins in and installed.  I was glad I bought 5, because I immediately lost the first one I pulled out of the package.  Don't trust me with roll pins, evidently.  The next one installed easily and quickly.

So, the build is complete for now until I finish saving up for the SJBS.  Been thinking about getting the cheaper Primary Arms 4-14x50 ffp scope with BDC reticle for now while I save up for the Vortex FFP Viper PST, since it seems to be getting good reviews, and will help me get used to FFP.

My question is whether I need to have it checked out by a competent gunsmith.  I've doublechecked the torque values on the muzzle device and barrel nut (50 ft lbs and 60 ft lbs respectively, as per the 45-55 and 55-65 ranges recommended for each by the manufacturers).  Rainier says they've headspaced my bolt to the barrel.  It passes function checks just fine.  Am I good to go, or should I shell out to have it checked out by someone else?  

Anything else I need to be aware of?  I don't have any go-no go gauges myself.  Should I buy some for future builds (because whatever I think now, we all know I'll be making more in the future)?

Thanks for your input.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback.  LGS wants $75 just to check it over, and I'm pretty sure it's fine, what with having Rainier headspace it and all.  Looking forward to getting it tuned in.  Ordered that Primary Arms scope to placehold for now; it gets good reviews for its budget range, and in the meantime I can eat more ramen and save up for the PST.

If you want to step up in quality/price?  I've shot a Schmidt and Bender on a buddy's rifle.  I've mentioned him in other posts - the long range shooting guy.  It was a sweet scope, especially liked the turret for dialing in hold over, I think each turn had 34 moa, and the second rotation was color coded so you knew where you were on really long shots.  I shot out to 1,220 with it...can't brag without a pic, so that'll be below if I can figure out how to attach it.  I think he said it was around $5,500, so for me, his is the only one I ever expect to shoot  :'(

A few of my clients that like to shoot are fans of Nightforce.  I've not shot one, but they have a great reputation.  I've read that you pay more for their durability than you get out of their glass, but that's a third hand (at least) comment.  If you decide to go fixed, SWFA has a good reputation and lot of options (and a couple variable options).  They're based near Dallas, and give a discount to members of the Texas hunting forum. Also, they sell damn near any brand on the market.  I've bought from them and had a good experience.  Those are in the $1,500 to $2,500 range

I have a Ziess Conquest on a Tikka Bolt riffle.  I've been happy with that even as one of their base model scopes.  

I picked up a Viper PST FFP EBR-2c at the Dallas Safari Club conv a couple of weeks back.  Found a deal that I couldn't pass up.  The scope is sweet, sir, and I can't wait to finish my build to put it to use.  Bigger and bigger fan of what Vortex is putting out there.  I entertained spending more, but I think I'd rather pick up a Kestrel Ballistics Calculator and learn how to work with what I've got. Crimson, are you in Texas yet?  If you get to Dallas or Lubbock let me know.  We can hit the range.

Sooooo...can anyone direct me to instructions on how to upload that pic?

That shot in the first picture must have been pretty tough, that looks like a really steep mountainside you were shooting off of! <lmao>

No poop it was. I had to hold on with my Johnson.

Anchored that beast into the ground, huh?  <lmao>

That's some pretty innovative use of "your equipment..." 

I say, "Job well hung done..."   <laughs>

Drew will be jealous when he sees this thread... 

Edited by 98Z5V

Lol.  Shot my build today.  Got the gas block dialed in (didn't have to be fully open).

I had a few issues at first.  The Freedom Munitions rounds when I was first messing around before I fired it at all kept getting the bolt stuck in the chamber when I went to chamber them, and I had a bunch of issues with that even without ammo at firstt.  We'll see if I can even use this Freedom Munitions stuff I bought.  It loosened up a bit after I lubed it, and it shot just fine, so maybe it just needed some break-in.  Haven't really zeroed the scope; just adjusted it for windage a bit.  Was pretty easy to shoot same hole groups standing off-hand at the measly 25 yard range I have here.  It will be fun to shoot this thing from prone.  I like the scope a lot though.  It's a lot nicer than I thought it might be.