• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The Rocky Start

McCannicalBob

Having made up my mind I'd like to build something bigger than a 5.56, and somehow getting the green light from my wife, I'm diving into a new build. 

I want to have something I can use to fairly reliably make 800 shots on targets, whether the targets are steel, cardboard, or rocks.  I don't want it to be a hog because there's a chance I'd like to take it out for deer/antelope/sheep, but it will primarily be a target gun.  My first impulse was to go .308, and for now that's the direction I'm heading unless someone thinks I'd be a lot better off with a .260 or Creedmoor.  I want to stay under $2000.

I bought a matched set of Aero Precision receivers in FDE from Schuyler Arms for a great price.  When they arrived, they were black.  This happened last Friday.  I contacted Chris at Schuyler and he said he'd get the right set in the mail Monday (yesterday), along with a shipping label so my dealer can send the black ones back.  The FDE set should be here tomorrow.

I bought a BCG from SI Defense.  It arrived yesterday, and when I unwrapped it I found the roll pin that holds in the ejector plunger was mangled and sticking out of the bolt.  I called SI, talked to John, and sent him pictures of the bolt.  He immediately sent me a return shipping label to send back the BCG.  He told me he would quickly exchange the bad one for a good one. 

I also got a AP LPK and RE/buffer/spring kit from Schuyler Arms.  I haven't looked them over too closely yet, but I'm not too worried about them.

So, so far I've had some bad luck, but also what appears to be pretty good customer service.

I just need a buttstock to complete my lower.  I'm leaning towards an ACS-L at this time.  I like the idea of a UBR but don't want that much weight.

I may go with a polished up stock trigger from my LPK to start with, though I'll probably end up going with Geissele before all is said and done. 

As a fashion statement I plan to use all black parts on the receivers, to contrast with the FDE. Black stock and pistol grip, safety, mag release, bolt release, ejection port cover, FA plug, charging handle, and barrel.  Everything else will be FDE.

A lot of people here seem to like the TacOps-1 CH, so I'll likely go that way.

I'm still stuck on the barrel, and even somewhat on the caliber.  I do reload, so non-308 wouldn't be a problem, though I like the idea of having it chambered for something common to military and police for the sake of availability in a pinch. 

Assuming I go .308, I'm leaning towards any of the Rainier barrels in 18", though I've been looking at the Black Hole Weaponry barrels because I could get rifle length gas, and the Fulton Armory/Criterion stainless barrel because of it's good reputation.  With Rainier, I'd also get the sub-MOA "guarantee" and the 90-day no questions asked return policy.  For that alone my front runner is the Rainier Select in 18".  It's black, has a pretty good rep for being accurate, is cheap, and I can send it back if I don't like it.  Is this good reasoning?

If I get a Rainier barrel, it would be mid-length, so I plan to use a SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas block.  I also really like the looks of their Solo Lite handguard, and they'll Cerakote it for $40.  Hopefully Aero Precision can tell me the exact Cerakote color they use on the upper/lower.

On the muzzle I'm thinking PWS PRC or FSC30.  I want to soften the recoil without going too crazy with blast like I'd get from something like the JP, Rolling Thunder, or Titan.

Glass will have to wait.  I have a Vortex Viper on an LMT 5.56 and really like it.  I'll probably go that way again.

Any thoughts/comments/criticism/ridicule for me?  I'll keep this thread going as I continue on the project.

consider a 16" barrel. you won't loose much over 2"

I agree with blue109.

Requirements:

-800yd shots

-Light/er weight

-Can use for hunting

-<$2000

I just need a buttstock to complete my lower.  I'm leaning towards an ACS-L at this time.  I like the idea of a UBR but don't want that much weight.

Consider the new MOE SL stock too.

I may go with a polished up stock trigger from my LPK to start with, though I'll probably end up going with Geissele before all is said and done.

We love our Geissele triggers here. If you're only planning on getting the SSA, get the G2S instead (cheaper, but pretty much indistinguishable feel).

A lot of people here seem to like the TacOps-1 CH, so I'll likely go that way.

I like BCM's handles for my .308s.

On the muzzle I'm thinking PWS PRC or FSC30.  I want to soften the recoil without going too crazy with blast like I'd get from something like the JP, Rolling Thunder, or Titan.

The Griffin Flash Comp is another great device.

How much does the SLR handguard weigh? Reducing weight in front of the magwell is going to have the most noticeable effect on how the gun handles. Midwest Industries makes the lightest .308 forearm currently.

Edited by FaRKle!

Thanks for all the replies!

I got the USPS shipping notification overnight; Schuyler Arms is sending my receiver set today (Wednesday), not Monday as promised.  I'm in no hurry, but I prefer people to stick to their word.

I will take all the suggestions into consideration.  I've never shot a Geissele G2S; I'll have to look into that. 

A local gun shop stocks a ton of Magpul stuff.  I can compare several of their stock there.

I haven't looked into ballistics for comparable bullets fired from 16" vs. 18" barrels.  Sounds like a good project to do at work today.

SLR lists their 15" Solo Lite at 12.5 oz; Midway shows the MI keymod rail at 14.8 oz.  I don't know if either or both include the weight of the barrel nut.

Again, thanks for the help!

SLR lists their 15" Solo Lite at 12.5 oz; Midway shows the MI keymod rail at 14.8 oz.  I don't know if either or both include the weight of the barrel nut.

Again, thanks for the help!

Midwest industries' weight includes the barrel nut and mounting hardware. You might want to check with SLR on their weight though (my intuition says that 12.5oz is too light to include the barrel nut).

The 12" MI rail is only 11.8oz.

Edited by FaRKle!

to hell with the tac ops ;)

these guys are now doing the rainier raptors in FDE. their site only shows the 5.56, but the 308s are available too from what a dealer friend said. He should have one for me in a couple weeks.

http://axtsweapons.com/products/raptor-556-fde

raptor-556-fde-1.jpg

That FDE Raptor is AWESOME looking.  And probably twice as much as the Tac Ops!

Midwest industries' weight includes the barrel nut and mounting hardware. You might want to check with SLR on their weight though (my intuition says that 12.5oz is too light to include the barrel nut).

The 12" MI rail is only 11.8oz.

I contacted SLR.  Posted weights include barrel nut and all mounting hardware.

I agree with blue109.

Consider the new MOE SL stock too.

We love our Geissele triggers here. If you're only planning on getting the SSA, get the G2S instead (cheaper, but pretty much indistinguishable feel).

I like BCM's handles for my .308s.

The Griffin Flash Comp is another great device.

How much does the SLR handguard weigh? Reducing weight in front of the magwell is going to have the most noticeable effect on how the gun handles. Midwest Industries makes the lightest .308 forearm currently.

The Griffin 7.62 Flash Comp looks like a good one, and reasonably priced.  I'll add that to the list of candidates.

Got my receivers in Friday, and they were the right color!  LPK and buffer tube kit also came in last week, so this weekend this is what I did:

All parts went together pretty well, though I had the same problem AdamO had with the mag catch button seemng too short.  If I thread in the catch to a good depth, the button is sucked into the lower.  I left it so the mag release projected about the same amount as on my other guns.  Looks like it ought to be OK, though I think it should be threaded in a bit further.

The only other issue was with the rear takedown pin detent.  In the Aero lower the spring and detent drop in vertically in the takedown pin hole, as opposed to coming in from the back behind the receiver extension plate.  It was a MF'er to get the detent in that hole!

I installed the trigger that came with the LPK and it wasn't horrible, but one of the other members here tipped me off to a place where I got a Geissele SSA-E for under $200 with free shipping.  When that one comes in, I'll swap out triggers.  I'll also eventually put in a decent safety.

So far I'm really happy at how things are progressing.  It's going to be a fairly long process, but I'll document the whole thing here.

Ya Ya , photo's or you don't own it ! <lmao>

If you read the post from AdamO , you will see a photo of the shaft length differences in the std AR 15 mag catch & the Armalite AR 10 catch , it is longer  ( not to mention the pad that locks into the Magazine is configured differently ) & as 98K posted , the depth of how much the catch is threaded into the button is different in a 308AR platform .

I have the G2S in my 16" & its almost as good as my SSA , thats in my 20"

So I found some good deals the last couple days that put me a few steps closer to finishing.  Found an ejection port cover assembly from ARstuff.com for $12 + $4 shipping, got the Mech Armor charging handle, and used the SKDTac black friday discount for the Griffin Armament 7.62 Tactical Compensator.  I was kind of torn between that one and the PWS FSC30, but went with the Griffin.  Then this evening, I was out an noticed a new gun shop had opened near me, so I stopped in.  Talked to the guy about building a .308 and he asked if I had a muzzle device yet.  I told him I had just ordered it and got a great deal, then he pulls out a giant plastic tote bin full of PWS FSC30s!  At a price I couldn't turn down.  Now I'll have two to compare, and can easily sell the FSC30 for twice what I paid if I don't like it.  If I do like it, I'll still be ahead if I sell the Griffin.  Or just use it on the next .308.

Now my rifle is looking more like a real gun. I've installed the entire lower parts kit but swapped out the grip for an Ergo grip I had sitting around, and ended up getting an SSA-E trigger. The upper receiver now has its bcg, ejection port cover, and charging handle. I'm planning to put a plug in the FA hole.

With those parts installed the receivers fit together much better than they did before. There is still a little slop, but not bad at all. I even tried the o-ring trick to tighten things up a bit more, but with the ring in place I couldn't get the pivot pin back in. I guess that's tight enough.

I'm still leaning towards the SLR Rifleworks handguard. I would get the Aero Precision handguard, if it existed. They don't know when they'll be available. They also don't know what color they Cerakote their receivers. They just say look at the Cerakote site for flat dark earth. Cerakote has a BUNCH of different versions of FDE. AP suggested taking the receivers to a local Cerakote shop to try to match the colors, which I guess is what I'll do, but they sure are making this harder than it needs to be. Once I figure out the color I'll have SLR Rifleworks Cerakote the handguard.

Stay tuned.

I'm almost there! My barrel came in yesterday, and I've been holding off on ordering my hand guard and gas block until the barrel arrived.

The barrel is a Lothar Walther Vartac 18" rifle length gas with matched bolt. I ordered it based on friend's reports of great accuracy. After I ordered I found all the horror stories of their customer service. Fortunately things appear to have worked out ok, assuming it shoots ok.

Since that came with a bolt, I now have a spare bolt, trigger, grip, and muzzle brake. Half way to a second 308.

I'll get my gas block and handguard after Christmas and report back in January.

Oh, I happen to have access to an xray metals analysis tool. The LW barrel I received is 410 stainless. I don't know if that's what LW50 is, or if they use something else for the Vartac.