• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Heavy bullets.

Backwoodsblacksmith

The 7.62x51 was developed to use the 150ish grain bullet.  In the M1 and M14 repeated use of heavy bullets, 165 to 180 grain, will rapidly erode accuracy.  Does this not apply to the AR platforms?

He's just looking out for your best interests. I suggest all of you with these erosion-prone heavy bullets bundle them up and send them to me. I'll properly dispose of them, and extend the life of your barrels in the process.

It was not barrel erosion.  The locking lugs on the bolt and action would get beat up and the action would not cycle the same shot to shot.  The recoil lugs on the action would wallow out the stock and allow movement.  That is why accurized M1's and M1A's get reinforced recoil lugs and have to have the locking lugs repaired.  There is a pretty good industry rebuilding both rifles at the end of the shooting season.  The M1 gets two recoil lugs as it only came with one.  Ask any match shooter that use them.

This particular platform is not the M1 or M1A, also.  Big difference.

This is correct & the poster asked about the use of heavy bullets in the 308AR platform as compared to the great Mi rifles & even though we answered it sarcastically , we did answer the question & my reference to piston guns was making fun of them , because of the rivalry that some have about the std. DI gas system in most 308AR's.

The M1 series of rifles have a completely different bolt /lug .  Direct impingement  ( DI ) gas system operates the BCG & unlocking of the multi luged bolt of the 308AR . The M1's ,as you know suffer from a very long piston /rod set up for the unlocking of a two lug bolt . A lot of mass moving , very good system , but the more mass moving the more it will put stress on a wood stocked rifle , no matter what system is used for the bedding , some are better than others , but time & round count will still bring the end results .

The 308AR's are all Aluminum , be it Billet or Forged , they will take it much better than any wood stock. The barrel/chamber wear is about the only thing that will degrade performance.  Even a loose Upper/Lower receiver fit , has very little effect on how well they shoot .

The 7.62x51 was developed to use the 150ish grain bullet.  In the M1 and M14 repeated use of heavy bullets, 165 to 180 grain, will rapidly erode accuracy.  Does this not apply to the AR platforms?

This particular platform is not the M1 or M1A, also.  Big difference.

Thank you for your considerate answer.  It is nice to communicate with an intelligent and knowledgeable  person,

You're going to have to get a little thicker skin to hang around here.

I see this thread going down like this:  You asked a very specific question.  M1s and M14s are not anything like an AR-based .308 Win rifle.  You got that answer.  You're comparing Apples to Hammers, basically.  You want to compare a 2-lug bolt locking system - sometimes, a 1-lug locking system - to an 8-lug locking system, over two different platforms.

It appears that you didn't like the answers you got, except from ss.

The last quoted comment here really says it all, in terms of just reading through the thread here - if you have thin skin, you will be disappointed.

Brace yourself.

• 1 month later...

The 7.62x51 was developed to use the 150ish grain bullet. In the M1 and M14 repeated use of heavy bullets, 165 to 180 grain, will rapidly erode accuracy. Does this not apply to the AR platforms?

Apples , Peaches and Oranges !

The barrels wear at the same rate. The chambers,receivers,gas port hole and buttstocks done deteriate at different rates. Wooden buttstocks fail and lugs wear on M1s. Gas ports erode on M14s do to susstained rapid firing. BCGs wear on ARs. Those are what I have repaired the last couple of years, limited experiences repairing M14s.

I have only one question ... does it matter if you have shot less than six thousand rounds through your gun !! ??

Edited by MikedaddyH