• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Member to the AR-10 World

GreenGoblin227

Hey Everyone, new to the site but very familiar with some AR's.  Previous was a colt 9mm sportster blue label, and had a spikes tactical st-15 but with the divorce do to a cheating wife sold all my guns to keep my house.  

I guess you could say i am rebuilding my collections.  Only gun i refuse to get rid of was my sig 229 extreme that has been worked on and shoots like glass.  Love it (.40 and .357 sig)  

If any members here have sigs, i can get a substantial discount of just about everything 50% off the pro shop.

So, here is my build so far - 

I just started an AR10 .308 Build. Got some decent deals I think with connections

went with an Aero Precision M5 .308 Stripped Upper Receiver - FDE / Desert

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/userdocs...e-desert-1.jpg

Aero Precision Stripped Lower M5 (.308) Stripped Lower Receiver with Cerakote - FDE / Desert

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/userdocs...dlowerfde2.jpg

12" Enhanced KeyMod Handguard - FDE / Desert

Total Came to 180 dollars with free shipping with Cyber Monday Discounts and then they gave me a government discount.

Then I bought this set up from Weapon Enhancement Solutions Matached 16" Barrel with BGC for $239, 

WES Distributor Premium

Matched .308 Caliber 16" 416R Stainless Steel 1:10 Twist Barrel

with our .308 Bolt Carrier Group ( MADE IN USA )

SO as of now i am into my AR-10 Build for $419

Have a timney 670 trigger assembly that has been hanging in my safe since 08'

I just hope everything i bought so far is decent.  i read the aero precisions are top notch...

Welcome aboard Greengoblin. And yes, like the other guys pretty much said, Armalite's are referred to as AR-10's. Then, everything else falls into the LR 308 category. Some mighty fine rifles out there though, on both sides of the aisle.

Oh....and just try to ignore the Rock River guys all together. They just don't know any better. <lmao>

New to the forum today. I have been reading as much as I had access to over the last few days. I hope having more access, brings more info into the world of .308 shooting. Personal info is as follows. I bought an AR at a frantic time, during this current regime. I actually went to the particular shop and had a verbal commitment to them for the only Armalite unit they had in stock. Not 20 minutes after my call, I arrived and learned someone was buying that rifle at the time I was talking to them on the phone. Anyway, I got stuck with a DPMS LR308B that they did have. The case that it came with sucked, but I was either going to sell this piece at a huge profit, without ever having fired it, or wait it out. I had been looking at various AR's for many years, but definitely made up my mind that whatever I bought, would be in .308 cal. As expected, the prices did jump temporarily as I'm sure you all know. Just not enough for me to sell it.

After 6 months and the hysteria quieted down, I decided I wanted to make it truly, my own. I paid a hefty amount for steel scope mounts and put a very tried and true scope I have had for 25 years on it. (Simmons, Pro-Hunter) My first trip to the range was solo and began at 50 yards and then 100. I only took 20 rounds with me that day. Damn! I love this rifle! Cheap, military ball ammo I got from a local gun show. (.80 a round not cheap) I have never felt anything this sweet. Bench rested atop (2) 40lb bags of bird seed. I couldn't wait to go back to a range that had facilities, spotters and with a few friends. I cleaned and oiled this thing thoroughly and put it away.

I can't get enough of shooting this piece! The 300 rounds of old, military stuff is now gone, plus several hundred more commercial rounds of whatever I can find and the passion grows with every shot. I did buy 3 boxes of hornady, 168 gr for hunting deer and used 4 rounds. 3 at the range and 1 at a deer. Instant knock down at about 140 yrds.

I am not a competition shooter, by any means, but I want to iterate that whatever I throw into this thing so far, is dead nuts accurate out to 220 yards. 147, 149, 150, 168gr stuff just flows through and spits out like a dream. Blowing up tannerite in 1 lb containers, being the proof. I have not put any steel cased stuff through it, nor do I intend to.

Since you all have way more experience than I about such things, I have some general questions.

1- Is this characteristic of this particular rifle to be this accurate with so many different loads? Not many places I can find in Michigan to shoot longer distances, without being a club member.

2- It seems some of the commercial, ball ammo makes a bigger dent in certain materials than others. I do not know much about frangible, vs other types yet. I just have enjoyed shooting. Most everything I have been shooting, goes right through 10" diameter trees.

3- I have had a few radically abused, case necks come out and do not know why. There is always some brass flakes that I have to clean away after shooting outings.

4- Is there any major maintenance that I should do, to keep the barrel tight, etc?

If there is a better place for this to be posted, please let me know and I will copy and paste it.

Thanks!