• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR 308 Buffer TUBE question

Building my first 308 DPMS style carbine.  I've read and been told the buffer tube/receiver extension for the M4 and LR308 are the same.  Now I've discovered they are not the same.  Will some one give me the specs length of the LR308 buffer tube in mil spec size?  If someone has all the specs for this part, I'll take that too. 

Thx.  Merry Christmas.

Edited by txchl

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually you can use the standard AR-15 carbine receiver extension. There are two formats to the buffer system (AR-10 and LR308/DPMS patterns). As long as you use all components from one of the patterns you can use either on any .308 AR.

a thread that goes over most of the details.

I have been informed, several times, by members of this board, that the 308 platform has NO MILSPECS.   Was I mis-informed?   Are their mil specs for the 308?

Please clarify, befor  I  make another mistake.

Respectfully

Terry

PS:   I m NOT one of those that enjoy verbal debate.   I like facts. 

Edited by Tripledeuce

There are NO MIL STANDARDS for 308 ARs. The reason why the M16/M4 has a standard is because the military took over/bought over the design patents from Colt. The closest thing to a 308 AR in the military is the KAC SR25, and that goes by KAC's standards.

Putting milspec parts on a 308 AR still doesn't make the 308 milspec.

but the op asked about a milspec part...not a milspec rifle. most likely because he has a milspec stock, that fits a milspec tube. by boldly dismissing anything MILSPEC when the 308 is involved, you are just confusing the issue for noobs. hence my clarification. a milspec AR15 extension is correct on a 308ar, with the proper 308 specific buffer and spring allowing any milspec sized stock to be used.

Ok, now I'v gotten some sleep, and am not so toiuchy,LOL!

Its all word games!   I don't think it confuses the subject, I think it clarifies oit.

Yes, the part is mil spec TO THE AR15.   But since there are NO mil specs for the 308, it can't be mil spec to the 308.

Does that clarify my statement ????

Respectfully

Tery

it doesn't matter what you stick it on. you can screw the extension into your riding lawn mower. the part was built to a specification....military specification...it is milspec. it is not milspec TO anything. the rifle is a pile of parts. those parts may or may not fall under any specification. its not an all or nothing package deal.

ETA this argument would be valid if someone were asking about a milspec 308 BCG or barrel nut

Edited by blue109

Damn man. No reason to be calling me out. <laughs> I never said that my beloved Armalite AR-10's were milspec.

Just because they were the original design.

Just because a gentle genius named Eugene Stoner designed them that way.

Just because they were later watered down to a 5.56 platform.

Just because.......................................ehhhh...........nevermind.

But I've gotta thick skin. (chesire cat grin)

Damn man. No reason to be calling me out. <laughs> I never said that my beloved Armalite AR-10's were milspec.

Just because they were the original design.

Just because a gentle genius named Eugene Stoner designed them that way.

Just because they were later watered down to a 5.56 platform.

Just because.......................................ehhhh...........nevermind.

But I've gotta thick skin. (chesire cat grin)

It's ok brother, I've got your back  we Armalite guys gotta stick together 

Are you guys kidding?

Any AR15/M16/M4 part that is mil-spec stays mil-spec, it's a mil-spec AR part. You put it on a .308 rifle or any other rifle it is still a mil-spec AR part.

The .308 is not a mil-spec rifle but can use some M16/M4 mil-spec parts.

It's semantics I guess. But this thread reads like an Abbott and Costello script.

So you have a .308 AR pattern rifle with an AR15/M16/M4 mil-spec part in it.

If anybody says they have a mil-spec part in their .308 I would automatically think they are talking about an AR part, yet ask what part to clarify. If they say I have a mil-spec bolt in my .308 we all know that's impossible and that person is misinformed and incorrect, right. It's pretty simple......

Well that MilSpec part is made milSpec for an M4/AR 15 , not a 308AR & since it was not designed as a MilSpec part for a 308AR , how can it be MilSpec if its used in a non-MilSpec 308 AR  rifle , if it wasn't designed for it ? 

You are right its all about words in a way , but the fact is , that AR 15/M4  part was not designed for a 308 AR , sure it will work , but it is no longer MilSpec when installing it in a completely different platform then the MilSpec design .