• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR 308 Buffer TUBE question

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SS...if the part conforms to a specification, than it does. Makes NO difference how you use it. the part is built to a specification or it isn't. if I use a milspec buffer tube as a door stop, its still a milspec buffer tube. end of story.

a milspec BCG in a billet AR (obviously not milspec) is still a milspec BCG.

SS...if the part conforms to a specification, than it does. Makes NO difference how you use it. the part is built to a specification or it isn't. if I use a milspec buffer tube as a door stop, its still a milspec buffer tube. end of story.

a milspec BCG in a billet AR (obviously not milspec) is still a milspec BCG.

I think you are missing the whole point & I explained it as best as I can . Its only mil spec if it is used for its intended specification , which is a M4/M16 rifle , not a 308 AR  ! It wasn't designed for it & will never be Milspec for a 308 AR until the Military designate it so , through testing or design, period .

I'm not falling for your evil troll Mr Cross.

LOL...

Seriously brother, not trolling, I honestly don't know anything about the spec. In my mind, the whole issue is settled by answering the question I asked. If the spec is for each component, each component would be MilSpec independently of the platform, but if the spec is applied to the entire platform, the spec becomes irrelevant because you're mixing MilSpec into a non-spec platform. Savvy?

As far as I know the only time that it matters on Mil-Spec vs. Standard  Non-Mil-Spec / Commercial  buffer tubes is when it deals with the outer diameter so you get the correct stock to fit and no wiggle. The exception is putting a Mag-Pul UBR on a 308 platform weather it be Armalite or SR-25 / DPMS pattern. Then you would require the set up that Slash Heavy Buffers produces. When I changed out stocks from the PRS to the UBR it required the use of this buffer. I had a spare .308 carbine buffer laying around and just out of curiosity I put it in the UBR and attempted to pull the BCG  back (empty rifle of course) and the bolt stop would not properly engage. When I threw the Slash Heavy Buffer in, not an issue.  By the way does mil-spec not refer to a set of tolerances and quality  within the military parameters? So since Knights just beat out Armalite due to weight issues winning the M-110 contract wouldn't that mean that the Arfmalite and KAC specifically are mil-spec for the 7.62x51 / .308 ? And now I sit back and watch lol <munch>

Edited by Zebra644

As far as I know the only time that it matters on Mil-Spec vs. Standard  Non-Mil-Spec / Commercial  buffer tubes is when it deals with the outer diameter so you get the correct stock to fit and no wiggle.

AR15 milspec also specifies material. Milspec carbine receiver extensions are made from extruded 7075 aluminum. Most of the cheaper "milspec" receiver extensions are made of weaker 6061 aluminum (PSA). That's why you need to read closely whether they say "milspec" or "milspec diameter."

It was my understanding that mil-spec rifle parts are of a looser fit which makes them more interchangeably rifle to rifle and more apt to not seize up in battlefield conditions than commercial spected parts. Is that not correct?

The milspec diameter of a carbine receiver extension is 1.148" while the commercial spec is 1.168". Since the commercial receiver extensions are made of cheaper and weaker 6061 they need to be larger in diameter to have more strength closer to that of the milspec tubes. A milspec stock isn't made to looser tolerances than a commercial one (it won't fit on a commercial diameter receiver extension). Receiver extensions also aren't swapped from weapon to weapon (that's why the castle nut is torqued to about the same as a barrel nut and endplate staked into it).

There is a video where a guy forced a mil-spec carbine stock on a commercial buffer tube  extension. From memory if I recall correctly, not knowing to ask the manufacturer which tube he had or if unknown to order a new buffer tube / extension to match the stock, mil-spec / mil-spec or commercial / commercial. So he did a no no and forced it on with a mallet. After he got tired of pounding it he either called the manufacturer  or asked a friend and discovered the mistake. Then he got some oil in between the two, tied one end to his truck and the other to a fork lift or bob cat he pulled it off. He did in his defense post the video as a Don't Do This and owned up to it. The rifle was fine as was the stock and after ordering a different tube or stock got it right and no issues. 

• 5 years later...

O.k guys, total noob here in the a.r category, as far as parts and fit. So a little clarification please, on a MILSPEC part, just the part, are the sizes and or fit, totally different? The reason I ask is specifically the buffer tube, I own a DPMS lr 308, when I look up parts every damned thing says MILSPEC, is this a gimmick, will it fit? I thought no MILSPEC 308s? just don't want wrong size parts, thanks for any help.

IMHO quite a few parts cross over from AR15 to AR308...so if somebody gets onto listing their parts as "mil spec" then they will use that on everything. And the materials and finish applied to say an AR308 bolt catch might indeed be the same as a "milspec" AR15 part.

Bill

1 hour ago, kenk said:

O.k guys, total noob here in the a.r category, as far as parts and fit. So a little clarification please, on a MILSPEC part, just the part, are the sizes and or fit, totally different? The reason I ask is specifically the buffer tube, I own a DPMS lr 308, when I look up parts every damned thing says MILSPEC, is this a gimmick, will it fit? I thought no MILSPEC 308s? just don't want wrong size parts, thanks for any help.

You're correct. There is no "Milspec" large frame AR. Trust very few online parts dealers, when it comes to which platform they're selling parts for.

And if they're throwing around the term Milspec on their parts......definitely don't trust them.

Milspec. AR-15.....Yes. AR-10/SR-25/LR 308....Nope.

Edited by Rsquared

2 hours ago, kenk said:

The reason I ask is specifically the buffer tube, I own a DPMS lr 308, when I look up parts every damned thing says MILSPEC, is this a gimmick, will it fit?

In the case of buffer tubes there is a distinct difference in Mil Spec and Commercial tubes.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.ea9183cb5ebf252c1cd23deae89cf12a.jpg

Thanks guys, I am still at a loss, maybe dpms did some weird stuff, I dunno. My buffer tube is definitely commercial, as it is the slanted and slightly longer one. However the diameter.... is exactly the same as the MILSPEC b.s for the ar15 that my local bass pros shop carries...... is this possible or is the buffer tube they have labeled wrong? I guess I need to measure it with calipers to be certain, the reason I say they are exactly the same is the buffer tube nut off of mine fit the tube and threads perfectly for the "ar 15 mill spec" one. Sorry for my bumbling here guys, but one more time for my slow self...... on several forums folks have suggested that if you use the correct buffer and spring, then the tubes are interchangeable, this is INCORRECT right? I am attempting to learn more, this is not my intro to guns or anything, just my first a.r platform rifle, and there is a LOT of misinformation available out there.  

The difference between a milspec and commercial buffer tube (receiver extension is the proper term) is the external diameter and only affects the stock that you can put on it.  The internal diameter should be the same with each.  See the diagrams in @jtallen83 post above.

The length of receiver extension can vary in a 308AR.  A proper AR15 receiver extension should be 7 inches deep internally.  DPMS 308ARs utilized the AR15 receiver extension of 7 inches.  Armalite AR10 receiver extensions are longer at 7 5/8 internal depth.  Either receiver extension can be used regardless of whether you have a DPMS or Armalite rifle.  You just need to be sure to use the proper buffer and buffer spring.