• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rocky Start to Smooth Finish

McCannicalBob

I've pretty much finished it up, only lacking a permanent stock and a scope.  I had the local gunsmith install the barrel and muzzle brake; I wanted to make sure that was absolutely correct.  Final spec's are as follows:

Aero Precision stripped upper and lower receivers

Aero Precision LPK

Geissele SSA-E trigger

Ergo grip

Aero Precision receiver extension/spring/buffer

Lothar Walther VarTac 18" rifle-length gas match barrel and bolt

SI-Defense QPQ BCG

MechArmor Defense Tac Ops Sniper charging handle

SLR Rifleworks 14" Solo M-Lok handguard

SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 adjustable gas block

Griffin Armament 762 tactical compensator

Final weight without scope is 9.5 lbs.  With shown Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10 about 11 lbs. 

I was waiting to see what it would weigh in at upon completion before I bought a scope and stock.  I figured it would be on the heavy side with that barrel, but I figured if it's already heavy there's no sense in getting too crazy in finding a really light scope.  Right now I'm kind of leaning towards the Bushnell Tactical Elite 3.5-21.  It's a tank--about a pound more than this Vortex--but I think it would make a nice scope for this rifle.

Same goes for the stock.  I may go with the UBR, though I haven't decided yet.  If I go with UBR and the Bushnell, it'll probably come in close to 13#.

I'll shoot it tomorrow and report back.  The gunsmith test fired it and said it worked perfectly.  I've got a variety of ammo to try with it.  We'll see how she does.

Bob

post-15328-0-80011400-1420917715_thumb.j

Got to shoot it today for a little while until the rain became too much.

Started out with 150 FMJ ammo from Ventura Munitions to see how things would work.  I had moved my Vortex 2.5-10 scope over from another gun, and since I have a LaRue QD mount that was quick and easy.  I started at 25 yds to make sure I hit paper and only had to move it about 1-1/2" left to be dead on L-R and about 2" low (about where it should be at 25 yds). 

I had followed SLR Rifleworks instructions for setting up the gas block, starting 6 clicks out from closed.  The first round did not eject.  I gave it 2 more clicks, fired, and it ejected but did not lock back on the empty magazine.  While getting the gas right I also tried some other ammo, which in hind sight was probably the wrong thing to do, but anyway I was able to keep the Ventura ammo in one hole at 25 yds.

Moved out to 100 yds shooting at a black Shoot N See target.  This is where the Vortex's illuminated reticle really pays off.  If you don't have dead batteries. :'(   I found it pretty hard to see the reticle against the black target background.  The first groups were with Outback 168g SMK ammo.  It was cheap so I thought I'd try it.  I only shot 3-shot groups as I was trying to see how the gun would operate.  This ammo shot pretty good, around 1 to 1-1/4" for 3 shots.  The bolt still did not lock back on the last round.  I opened the gas up another click and went to Federal 175g GMM in 7.62 x 51 (as opposed to .308 Win).  My first two shots were touching, then just as I was pulling the trigger the guys down to line from me started a mag dump that made me pull my shot high, but with a called jerk it was still 1-1/2" for three shots, and the bolt locked back as it should on the last round.  Then I tried some stuff Ventura is pimpin' called Eagle Eye ammo.  175g HPBT. 3 shots in just under an inch.  Bolt locked back properly.  Final group was Wolf Gold 150g soft points.  I really like their .223 Gold ammo, and so does my LMT.  But the .308 ammo wasn't doing it for this gun.  About 3" 3-shot group.  Bolt did not lock back on the empty mag.

Next time I'll either use a target I can see better, or make sure I have good batteries for my scope.  I think that made a significant difference in how I shot.  All in all though, the gun seems like it will be quite accurate.  Accurate enough to warrant a pretty nice scope.

As far as function goes, I was shocked at how little recoil there was, especially with the gas turned down.  As I opened up the gas block the increase in recoil was noticeable, but still not bad at all.  My 13 year old daughter could shoot this without a problem.  The Griffon 762 compensator looks great and works great.  From behind the gun the noise was not an issue.  Recoil was low.  I asked the guys down the line if the gun was excessively loud and they said they didn't notice anything.

This was my first time shooting a Geissele 2-stage trigger.  Wow.  It is the $hit.

The SLR handguard is really nice.  It is pretty small in diameter where you grab it, but does have the machined in rail section on the end where I mounted my bipod.  It worked out great.  The SLR gas block is pretty cool, too.

I put fewer than 30 rounds through it, and did not do the shoot 1-clean 1 ritual, per Lothar Walther.  Woody said just shoot it and clean it when I'm done.  Dealing with him was an experience, but I think I'm going to really like this barrel.  With good glass and some load development this thing ought to be really accurate.

I have a feeling once things break in a bit I'll be able to turn the gas back a couple clicks and have it lock back after the last round with about any ammo.  Things are still kind of tight now, I have it working right with most ammo, and recoil is low.  I think it will only get better from here.

I'd like to thank all of you on this forum for the suggestions and tips about what parts to buy and where to buy them.  While this is by no means a budget rifle, I did save some money by taking advantage of some sales and tips from you guys.  I came in just under $2k, and I have a spare bolt since my barrel came with one.  And while it turned out heavier than I wanted, almost entirely due to the VarTac barrel, I'm completely satisfied with it.  Since it's already pretty heavy I think I will go with either a UBR or PRS stock, and probably the Bushnell Elite Tactical scope.  I'm past the point of making this a lightweight hunting rifle.  But I bet it'll blast steel from a long way away! :banana:

I have a feeling once things break in a bit I'll be able to turn the gas back a couple clicks and have it lock back after the last round with about any ammo.  Things are still kind of tight now, I have it working right with most ammo, and recoil is low.  I think it will only get better from here.

My guess would be you'd have to open it up a bit more due to some fouling (and for colder weather). I broke my Shibi-blaster's adjustable gas block in with about 60 rounds of cheap and dirty russian ammo before adjusting the gas block from full closed to where it needed to be. I then made sure it locked back 20 consecutive times with the russian ammo (so I know it'd work with the weaker stuff) before I called it good.

Thanks Farkle. Do you have a feel for how often an adjustable gas block needs to be cleaned? I wouldn't think much more than a normal gas block, though it is a smaller hole and I guess could be more prone to plugging.

I think there will be fouling till it reaches some equilibrium (where the gasses moving through stop or deposit very little). You probably won't have to clean it after that (or a VERY long time after).

I've never cleaned a gas block.  Gas pressure takes care of that for you, and blows everything into the gas key on the carrier, and right onto the bolt tail and into the carrier.

Even with a .22LR conversion bolt in an AR - when the .22LR range session is done, plop in the 5.56 bolt, shoot a few 5.56 rounds off, and it blows any .22LR leading at the gas port right out of it.  And into the carrier.

Edited by 98Z5V

My guess would be you'd have to open it up a bit more due to some fouling (and for colder weather). I broke my Shibi-blaster's adjustable gas block in with about 60 rounds of cheap and dirty russian ammo before adjusting the gas block from full closed to where it needed to be. I then made sure it locked back 20 consecutive times with the russian ammo (so I know it'd work with the weaker stuff) before I called it good.

WTF you broke it already? That's what you get for not buying a shibi-upper.

Edited by shibiwan