• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Recommendations for my paint job...

Matt.Cross

Alright fellas, it's time to get my personal pickup some body work and a new paintjob from head to toe so to speak. Right now I've got a quote for the body work and full paint job + rim accents for $2k. The body work consists of pulling two minor dents and taking care of various deep scratches & scrapes. The paint work is the aforementioned bumper-to-bumper job plus some rim accents to make those wheels pop with the paint scheme. The paint in question is PPG Omni Plus. Anyone care to make suggestions or comments on the pricing & materials?

Nowadays just the cost in materials for a complete paint job can run $1K+. Omni Plus isn't the top of the line but is good paint and should hold up really well for you. If the shop does good work and stands behind their work then $2K is probably a good price.

The shop does guarantee their work, and their work looks amazing.

I don't know about the Omni, but every PPG paint I have ever sprayed has been excellent. This one has to be a personal call. Every shop is different and every painter is different too. Some are into slapping out a job while others will put extra care into every step. If you see and like the guy's work, and you are comfortable with the price, hit it. I've seen some great $1000 jobs and terrible $4000 jobs. Negotiate. Trade for gun parts? Build him a nice $1500 AR-15 and call it a trade...

Matt, you have no idea how bad I thought this thread title would reveal...

Firearms paint.

I was ready to recommend "all dirt colors will serve you well," and instead, we're talking about a truck with spinnerz. 

I will stick with my preconceived notion of this thread title, and go with my original *hopeful* recommendation - Start with the FDE basecoat, and you can't go wrong.  :banana: <thumbsup>

Matt, you have no idea how bad I thought this thread title would reveal...

Firearms paint.

I was ready to recommend "all dirt colors will serve you well," and instead, we're talking about a truck with spinnerz.

I will stick with my preconceived notion of this thread title, and go with my original *hopeful* recommendation - Start with the FDE basecoat, and you can't go wrong. :banana: <thumbsup>

FDE seems doable, hmmmm....