• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Please help me find a barrel

xripx

Hi guys, brand new owner of a brand new Armalite AR-10A4. I'm looking for an 18 inch barrel in black.

I've looked and I don't understand why it's so hard to find. Whenever I find one, it's either DPMS pattern or something flashy like stainless or chrome, which I don't want. I found maybe 1 or 2 that fit the bill and wouldn't you know it... they were sold out!

Anybody know where I can find one? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

You can have the Barrel treated to be black , Nitrated of course is an option  , Creakote also , both permeant finishes . Paint works also , just easy to scratch off with some paints.

Look up Stainless Steel blackening, there are products out there to blacken it just like cold blueing a part . 

Can I? From this very website, regarding DPMS and Armalite compatibility:

The bolt carriers are interchangeable if used as a complete unit. You cannot interchange the bolts by themselves.

Yes you can.  Show me why you can't. 

Nothing wrong with a 16" , there are a couple of Threads on here of 16" Barrels & their accuracy against other lengths . I have a 16" HB Barrel & my testing out to 200 yards ( as far as I have compared the two ) compared to my 20" HB is ,there is no real difference in grouping between the two Barrels.

If you do change it out , as said here , keeping with a Armalite configuration Barrel , you should get a new bolt with the new barrel anyway , so going to a DPMS config. Barrel , you would still need a new bolt for the new Barrel  , so no difference in what components you would need .

Not a good idea to swap Bolts that are already seated to a particular Barrel . It would probably not be a problem , but what if , for some reason the used Bolt would not head space correctly on the new Barrel , why take the chance . New Barrel , new Bolt & still check Head Space, just to make sure , be it where you buy the Barrel or check it your self .

What uses do you plan for this rifle ? Hunting , Target , long range or a little of both ?

Putting accessories like a Free Float hand guard , Muzzle Brake/comp & good Fire Control Group , are some good ways to make a better shooting rifle .

Can I? From this very website, regarding DPMS and Armalite compatibility:

The bolt carriers are interchangeable if used as a complete unit. You cannot interchange the bolts by themselves.

Thanks for reading up and then posting your question, that's very sensible. :)

You can use a DPMS bolt in an Armalite bolt carrier and vice versa, however you CANNOT mix bolts and barrels. Armalite bolts will only match AR10 type barrels, and DPMS bolts only match LR308/SR-25 type barrels. Use carriers interchangeably, but bolt type must match barrel type.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Armalites new AR10 VSR (Versatile Sporting Rifle) comes with an 18" black cerakoted barrel. So does the new AR10 TAC18.   Call them up and order a replacement barrel for one or the other.  That should solve your problem. 

Edited by hogwylde