• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

armalite ar-10-a4cbf and ar-10 def10 diffrences

Good evening gentlemen let me first start by saying I am new to this forum and the 308 community . I have been looking in to getting one foe many years and have just decided to take the dive. I've decided to go with an Armalite and was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the ar-10a4cbf and the ar-10 defensive sporting rifle. As far as I can tell from the Armalite website the only difference is a two stage trigger but the price difference is aboue $500. I will primarily be using it for target practice and hunting. Thank you for you help.

Early on the DEF had a melonite barrel but this is now listed as hard chrome. From the literature I've read it appears the DEF has some die-cast and extruded parts while the CBF claims it has none of these are used. The CBF also has the interior of the upper anodized and "dry film lubed" that the DEF does not mention. That's about all the difference I've seen beside the trigger as you mentioned.

Fair question. To be honest, I'm not really sure of the price difference, except to agree with jtallen about some of the parts probably being cast instead of forged. Obviously they've shaved on the cost of producing these rifles somewhere, compared to the standard "B" pattern or "A" pattern carbines. But I'd be telling a lie if I said I knew one way or the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Response from Armalite CS:

"The only real difference between the DEF10 and A10A4CBF (will be discontinued) is the triggers. Overall the modern sporting rifle design (DEF10, DEF15, and DEF15F) lends itself to modularity not only at the customer level, but at the point of manufacture. By using standard commodity components at those points of modularity we are able to control cost without sacrificing quality. We don’t consider the Defensive Sporting Rifle a “budget” series necessarily, but rather a sound, well-built modern sporting rifle platform that is fully functional in its configuration yet highly adaptive to customer modifications down the road as well. We completed a comprehensive overhaul of our operations including value stream mapping to cut cost in manufacturing times and processes. This is the same processes that will help us launch our other new lines at lower retail prices as well. This added to our increased manufacturing capacity or processing has allowed us to produce the product with less overhead than in the past. In return we passed this savings on to the customer.

Tim Rooker

Lead Tech / Customer Service"

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys I picked at der10 two weeks ago no pics yet and have not got to shoot it.

Will update when I get to it. Some of the things that I noticed were the sliding stock has a really tight fit but theres not really much feel to the selector switch just kinda moves back and forth no click to it but the trigger feels pretty good.