• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My 308 AR Project

Firemaniv

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now I need some help. I have shot 135 rounds, give or take a few, I have been having failure to eject causing a double feed of the empty case and a new round trying to be chambered.

First 25 rounds had this issue until gas block opened all the way up. 2nd 25 rounds shot as paired groups with no issues.

3rd and 4th sets of 25 rounds, same problem every 4th or 5th shot.

Mega arms and black rain ordnance both called about gas block. Both say need a small gap between rear shoulder on mega arms barrel and both do not give any measurement.

Barrel and gas block pulled and reinstalled with ever so slight gap.

Per black rain, I closed gas block and fire 1 round at a time adjusting gas block until bolt locked back on empty mag. 3 to 5 rounds the tested with problem still presenting.

Most ammo of the used was 150 grain fmj

I tried 10 rounds of my reloads that have 168gn A-max bullets, no issues.

Why is a heavier bullet working and plinking ammo is not?

Black rain said that the failure to eject could be the bcg going to fast....

I have always assumed the issue was gas related.

What else can I try or check?

Thanks

You complicated $hit with complicated $hit.  For no reason. 

No offense, man, in any way.  You have too much going on with it.

Shitcan the adjustable gas block, you don't need it.  Start with a fixed gas block, non-adjustable, and reshoot the rifle, with all kinds of ammo.  If it doesn't run on all kinds of ammo, switch the heavy buffer out for a standard one, and reshoot with all kinds of ammo...

Are you ever going to run a suppressor on this rifle?...

Edited by 98Z5V

So now I need some help. I have shot 135 rounds, give or take a few, I have been having failure to eject causing a double feed of the empty case and a new round trying to be chambered.

Just for clarification.  A Double Feed is only ONE thing.  It's two live rounds trying to enter the chamber at the same time.  A Double Feed is ALWAYS magazine related.

If you didn't have two live rounds trying to get into the chamber at the same time, then you didn't experience a Double Feed malfunction.

Lot's of people say this, and to diagnose it, the details need to be accurate.  One live and one spent isn't a Double Feed malfunction - it's a failure to eject.  Different remedies for different malfunctions, man...  <thumbsup>

Suppressor, yes.

The heavy buffer is the only one I have used. I got this one because I plan to use a suppressor and magpul recommends it with their ubr stock.

Sorry, the failure to eject is acting like a double feed. The live round is partially striped from the magazine, trying to be chambered with the empty case above it. I have to remove the mag to clear.

If it were me...I would get a dpms regular ol car 308 buffer...open up the adj gas block and go from there. Never ever had a dpms spring/buffer fail me yet. Then if I wanna tune I go from that starting point. btw what mags you using?    :) Wash

Suppressor, yes.

The heavy buffer is the only one I have used. I got this one because I plan to use a suppressor and magpul recommends it with their ubr stock.

Okay, that complicates it - you do need the complicated $hit on this one...   my bad...  <lmao>

You'll need the adjustable gas and the heavy buffer for the suppressor. 

Try another 150gr setup over the MagTech stuff.  See if it runs on something different, but of equal weight.  Did you get Slash's spring with his buffer, or is it a DPMS .308 spring?

That looks like a clamp on Gas Block , if it is , it may have where they drilled out the Gas Blocks gas port hole , where one of the clamp screws are . If so , you can turn it 180 deg.( clamp at the top of the Barrel ) to see where it lines up with the Barrels Gas port , to determine if you have to space it off the Gas Block off the Barrels shoulder .  Its 98's trick with the set screw type , I have one on my 16" that has so large of a gap for the Clamp , there is no hole .

This is a VLtor , but may be the same with others .

post-11255-0-80674600-1436895217_thumb.j

Are you using enough lubricant , run it wet for break in . Your Extractor may be holding on to the empty case too long , too stiff of a spring or it has Burr's or is hanging up .

Okay, that complicates it - you do need the complicated $hit on this one...   my bad...  <lmao>

You'll need the adjustable gas and the heavy buffer for the suppressor. 

Try another 150gr setup over the MagTech stuff.  See if it runs on something different, but of equal weight.  Did you get Slash's spring with his buffer, or is it a DPMS .308 spring?

I've been running suppressed for quite some time without an adjustable gas block. It's dirtier, but it isn't strictly necessary IMO.

Yeah, definitely try different ammo first. I run a 16" barrel / adjustable block / CAR10-XH buffer/ UBR stock on one of my carbines without any issues. After ammo, like Robo said, it might be the extractor. Check for any tiny burrs on the lip. And for gods sake man......lube the $hit outta that thing.

I can see it not liking a brand of ammo , but these rifles are very tunable once they are broken in , which could be the key here . I would inspect the Ejector also , could be weak spring or it could be binding .

I can say I haven't seen , in any rifle I have , them not eating anything I put in them . Now Magazines , thats a entirely different story .

When I get off work this weekend I will try a different brand of ammo. I think I have some pmc but it might be 147 grn though. I will see what that does and see if I can find another 150grn round too. I have had the bcg wet and even tried slp 2000 the other day.

I will also check out my the bolt and it's parts to rule all of that out. My buffer spring is what came with the car-10h.

My mags have been 25rnd p mags.

• 1 month later...

I got the rifle to work without any issues. I first tried a different brand of ammo and the first 20 rnds worked but then I started having the failure to eject issue again. I rechecked everything. I happen to find an article about coated gas tubes and mine is black so I checked that but it was not the issue. In doing so, I did find that the gas tube was not centered and I corrected that but was still having the issue. I finally borrowed another black rain BCG from a friend who has one. Fired 45-50 rounds with no issues. I mailed in my BCG to black Rain who replaced it with a new one. I have shot around 50 rounds with the new BCG and did not have any issues. I tried to find out what was wrong with the original BCG but when I called and asked, the tech notes just said replaced for failure to eject. I am finally glad to have a working rifle. I might call Black Rain back and ask them to let me know what was wrong with the BCG if they ever take a look at it.

Good you have her running . 

Check my posts in the "308 Parts" section , in the DWilson Bolts thread . I was having the same issue & I come up with a out of spec Extractor & an Ejector Spring that was not working correctly , don't know why , it looks OK & compresses OK , those two failures don't usually happen together , but they did in my case . 

• 1 year later...

Wow, It has been a minute.... I went back to college so that has taken up much of my time along with work and family. The rifle has been running awesome. It has some new accessories since I last posted. I have an SilencerCo Omega for it. The picture is older but shows the can attached. I had to learn what gas settings worked for when the can was mounted and when it was off. The rifle with the can attached is right below the hearing safe level so you can shoot a few rounds if you had to with out hearing protection. I recently decided to get an optic that was better suited for the rifle. It finally showed up the other day and I was able to mount it. I need to go shoot it now as I did not have time due to finals for college. I used a Warne Ramp 34mm Mount to attach it to the rifle. Yes, it is the Accupower 1x8 and so far it is awesome even having with not having shot with it yet.

0414171729a.jpg

0915161026.jpg