• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Milk Jug Challenge

Spaniky73

I'm hoping to attempt the "Long range shooters of Utah" "milk jug challenge". You get 10 shots in 10 minutes to hit a milk jug at 1000 yards. I'm going to be practicing for it. I'm hoping they will be doing one in July or August. I am looking for recommendations on factory ammo. I don't reload yet so hand loads are out for me.

https://youtu.be/TLzQynJEcww

I'm hoping to attempt the "Long range shooters of Utah" "milk jug challenge". You get 10 shots in 10 minutes to hit a milk jug at 1000 yards. I'm going to be practicing for it. I'm hoping they will be doing one in July or August. I am looking for recommendations on factory ammo. I don't reload yet so hand loads are out for me.

https://youtu.be/TLzQynJEcww

What rifle are you using, Spaniky, and what's the barrel twist rate?

Research what they load each load with, and find the one with the best BC.  Go with something from Black Hills Ammunition, though.  Nobody loads it better, for factory ammo.  <thumbsup>

If they have a mag-length load with the Hornady 195gr BTHP, run THAT one.  :hethan:

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-CAL-.308-195-gr-BTHP/

The BC is .550.  Hornady manual, 9th Edition, lists COL at 2.800" for it. :banana:

Research what they load each load with, and find the one with the best BC.  Go with something from Black Hills Ammunition, though.  Nobody loads it better, for factory ammo. 

If they have a mag-length load with the Hornady 195gr BTHP, run THAT one.  :hethan:

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-CAL-.308-195-gr-BTHP/

The BC is .550.  Hornady manual, 9th Edition, lists COL at 2.800" for it. :banana:

Thank you. I will see what I can find.

That 10 shots at 1000Yds at a gallon milk jug seems a good challenge for some of us old cannon cockers to do some bracket shooting.

I'm going to the range next month to check out some long range ammo.  I have some Lake city 1962 National match 3006 168 gn. I have been saving for some reason. I have the loading data that is supposed to be original it is loaded with 4895. I will shoot 20 rounds in my 03A3 Springfield  and check the MV.  Then use the brass to reload. I have some fresh (how fresh it is I don't know) box is marked 2006. The old shooting data book shows that my best 600 Yd. load is 49 grains and  168 Hornady  BTHP bullets.  The best I remember it is a fairly mild but very accurate load out to 600 Yards

It has been 30 years since I shot !000 Yards. with my 700 Remington 3006, which I traded for a couple of 1911 45ACP pistols.

I have never shot a .308 over 500 Yards, I'll take the DPMS with some Black Hills 168 grain if the range store has any.  I am going to check out the Tac Pro Shooting Center range up at Mingus, Texas. They have reopened their long distance range. (500, 700 and 1000 yards).

I'm gonna have to buy another spotting scope. My old Bushnell 20-60 power job disappeared on our last move. What would be a good modern one for around $300? 

Looks fun , also looks like you have the right tool for the job . I would try the 175's in those wind conditions  &  distance , but looks like 168's will work.

I wish I could play in the Desert sometimes .

The HP BT's are said to be more stable at long distances , the turbulence the HP creates helps stabilize them .

Looks fun , also looks like you have the right tool for the job . I would try the 175's in those wind conditions & distance , but looks like 168's will work.

I wish I could play in the Desert sometimes .

The HP BT's are said to be more stable at long distances , the turbulence the HP creates helps stabilize them .

I'm going to get some black hills hpbt 175 and try one or two other kinds. I will report my findings.

I'm going to the range next month to check out some long range ammo.  I have some Lake city 1962 National match 3006 168 gn. I have been saving for some reason. I have the loading data that is supposed to be original it is loaded with 4895. I will shoot 20 rounds in my 03A3 Springfield  and check the MV.  Then use the brass to reload. I have some fresh (how fresh it is I don't know) box is marked 2006. The old shooting data book shows that my best 600 Yd. load is 49 grains and  168 Hornady  BTHP bullets. 

I'd be interested in the findings, and load data on those - I'd like to try it in my 03A4.  <thumbsup>