• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

new here....planning on starting my first 308 build.

trashman

hey guys I'm new here....seeking advice/opinions of those who are experienced building ar 10s. my question is are they as hard to build as some people make it out to be? not that the process of putting it together is hard, but the process of buying parts that all fit together. i was under the impression that if you have a dams upper/lower then you would want to get a dams barrel/bcg/etc, and its a simple as that. from what some other people have told me on some other forums its not that simple and a lot of parts don't fit together right. opinions?

hey guys I'm new here....seeking advice/opinions of those who are experienced building ar 10s. my question is are they as hard to build as some people make it out to be? not that the process of putting it together is hard, but the process of buying parts that all fit together. i was under the impression that if you have a dams upper/lower then you would want to get a dams barrel/bcg/etc, and its a simple as that. from what some other people have told me on some other forums its not that simple and a lot of parts don't fit together right. opinions?

It's easiest to go about it by researching which platform you want to use, and then asking what is AND what isn't compatible.

Welcome to the forums!

Hey Trash welcome aboard!  Check out the Mega ma-10 matched upper/lower sets...they cost a bit more,but you get what you pay for....the small stuff is already installed...which will really help a first time builder, and their uppers/lowers  are great quality.

If you can chew gum and walk at the same time you wont have any problems....its when folks go for the pieces that might not be ready for prime time get into trouble...  its no fun to spend money on a rifle...put it together,,,then find out it doesnt work right and  spend a lot of time  trying to find the problem...thats when you have to spit out the gum!     :) Wash

What is important is what platform to build & use its specific components , the big two are Armilite AR 10 & the DPMS LR 308 AR , there are many more that use some of their own proprietary components, RIA,LMT, LWRC,POF & there are others , but the main two are the AR10 & DPMS Pattern. 

If you look up the pined data , they may help . My suggestion would be to pick what Receiver set ( Upper & Lower ) you like & go from there . I say set, because some Receivers don't play well together when different manufacturers are used . Then you can see what everyone else is using & working or ask if this or that works . Pretty much we here have used it or have knowledge of its use .

If you use known components , you build should go smoothly as long as all safety checks have been followed .

Thanks for the reply guys. The upper/lower I'm looking at getting is made by aero precision. They are dpms patterned. I started looking into it on another forum and people were saying I should just buy a complete upper because it's too easy to get parts that don't fit even if they say dpms pattern on it. To me that's just a waste. I doubt I'd find one exactly how I want it and just seems not logical for me.

There are a buch of Areo builds documented here , just have to look in the Build section & DPMS sections & you will find talk on the Areo Receivers . Its a good product from what I read , I have no experience with them .

I'm sure others here will jump in , it hasn't stopped them before . <thumbsup>  <laughs>

Trash,

Lots of people building 308s from the ground up. I agree that it is best to get a matched upper & lower if this is your plan.

I have some AP sets and I just finished assembling my first. I did go with the AP pre-assembled upper on the build and used the AP lpk to assemble the lower since there were a few parts that were proprietary-ish...like the take down pins and bolt catch.

My next build will be exactly as I want it to be at the time I build it; but I have come to believe that with the ever improving list of options it may not stay that way...who knows?

Best of luck in your endeavor and I look forward to seeing your build when it's completed.

• 3 weeks later...

So as a new "builder" (Matrix Aero) , I am about to ask a stupid question...although I remember a drill sergeant tell me the only stupid question was the one you don't ask. So here goes... is there any difference between AR15 "flip/iron" sights and AR10 sights? I'm thinking no, but figured I would ask.

is there any difference between AR15 "flip/iron" sights and AR10 sights? I'm thinking no, but figured I would ask.

Not if you build your .308 AR right.  The big thing comes into whether or not you're building a DPMS-patterned rifle. If you are, you need to pay attention to the upper receiver height - high versus low, and I'm not talking about that crazy Hi-Rider monstrosity.  DPMS changed the height of the upper receiver rail height several years ago - we have a pinned topic on that, so research it, if you're building one.  The aftermarket followed, and many rail manufacturers make rails for both heights. 

Now, would that Eff up your sights?  No.  There's enough elevation adjustment in a front iron sight to account for the difference.  Just watch your build, if you use DPMS-based stuff.