• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hunting Bear... What, Where, Who?

mineralman55

I want to go bear hunting, but not small ones. I'd like to get a large one. Can anyone turn me in the right direction for quality bear hunting, guides, experiences, caliber needed, etc? My purpose is to get a large, quality rug out of him (a promise made to my son). I'm not really interested in the meat, I'd just as soon give that away.

Enlighten me.

Washington State

The Blacks up there get to be several hundred pounds (my uncle's was 600lbs). Theyre on the top of the Black scale up there. Most of them are shot out of trees, so a lightweight short barrel rifle works great.

With treed bears, calibers are all dependent on shot placement. I know a guy who hunts treed 200lbs cougars with a .22mag rifle. I'm not saying a .22mag will do, but a 40 yard head shot on a Black can be done with a .223 round.

Personally, I'd take my 45-70... I know some that take a .300WM, or the guys who use the same rifle for all bears like the .338WM.

I shot my bears with a .308 bolt rifle. All mine were in Northern California and weighed between 250 and 325 lbs. All were head shots, so my hides were immaculate.

If you want bigger bears, you have to go to Alaska. Now you're talking about $$THOUSANDS$$ to get your hunt.

The thing about hunting Westcoast (CONUS) bears, they're all Black and in heavy wooded areas. The likelihood of making a +60 yard shot is very rare. Mine were all taken from 25-60 yards, with a 3x scope.

Now if you go for browns, you can be making a 300+ yard shot across the tundra and over a river.... and that's about as close as I care to EVER get to an Alaskan Brown or a Grizzly.

Somthing that will expand fast mineral, I went last fall in northern Wisconsin. 400-500 pound bear is a big bear up there I brought a 12 ha slug gun and my 308, one night my guide put me on a stand were a 450-500# bear was pictured he didn't think my 308 with Barnes Vor-tx where heavy enough so he gave me his 30-06.

Heard an interesting fact on tv the other night you want big bear stay by the cost where they have the chance to eat fish

Somthing that will expand fast mineral, I went last fall in northern Wisconsin. 400-500 pound bear is a big bear up there I brought a 12 ha slug gun and my 308, one night my guide put me on a stand were a 450-500# bear was pictured he didn't think my 308 with Barnes Vor-tx where heavy enough so he gave me his 30-06.

Heard an interesting fact on tv the other night you want big bear stay by the cost where they have the chance to eat fish

That is why Alaskan Brown Bears in general, and Kodiak Island bears in particular are so much bigger than Montana and interior Canada Grizzlies. Lots of Salmon and dead whales.

Friend nailed a 900 pounder with a 45-70 in the Aleutians 3 years ago. Was a close call. His brother had a 338 they put 9 bullets into it and it still ran 100 yards.

Edited by Sisco

You don't have to out run it, just your guide or fellow hunters.

My vote would be Alaska. You could couple it with a sheep or moose hunt. :))

I'd like to do a fly in moose hunt, would anyone like to sponsor me??

You don't have to out run it, just your guide or fellow hunters.

My vote would be Alaska.  You could couple it with a sheep or moose hunt.  :))

Did you hear about the gal that saved herself from a bear using a .25acp? When she and her boyfriend encountered the bear on a hiking trip, she pulled her pistol, shot the guy in the knee cap and ran away!