• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Robocop1051's Century C39v1 with Magpul Zhukov Furniture

They said it couldn't be done... THEY never met me.

This is not a task for the squeamish or faint of heart. There is a lot of cutting and grinding involved, and once you start you can't go back.

I am extremely green when it comes to the AK rifles. I don't know jackshit about them, and didn't know the difference between a Century and an Arsenal... or even the C39v1 and the C39v2. All I know is that I had an "AK" (albeit American milled) and it shot everything I put in it and held a decent patteren.

This began my quest for "more". I've been in LE for nearly 15 years. I'm a department armorer and tactical rifle instructor. I can literally run circles inside an AR platform rifle.... I can barely tell an AK from a toilet plunger, and honestly thought they were going to be as easy as the ARs.... dumb!

After leaving SHOT2015 I knew I had to at least have one AK in the safe. Best deal I found was a Century C39v1. A couple of Web searches said "meh" it ain't good, but there's been a lot worse... sold!

Shot the bejeezus out of it.... I was very uncomfortable, and the iron sights suck... but it did everything I asked of it.

First I put on the Troy top rail and a red dot sight. Easy enough.

20150528_203632_zpsaorbity0.jpg

Second, I put on the Magpul MOE+ grip... also easy

20150528_203722_zpssubemsao.jpg

Third... getting tricky.... I put on the Magpul Zhukov handguard. Had to chop off the old handguard cup, but once that was done the rest was pretty simple.

20150528_203646_zpspnlpwmle.jpg

Lastly, the Magpul Zhukov stock....

Shitsticks!!! Why is this lower tang in the way?

shapeimage_14_zpspbxu5jmd.png

So I cut it off... I also had to relieve the hole a little bit at the top too, but more about that later.

20150528_214810_zps0fmbsqv0.jpg

Crap!!! The insert is too thick to fit in the end of the milled receiver. So I grind that to fit. Just a hair off the sides... a very tight fit.

Punch me in the nuts! There's a wall inside the receiver that prevents the insert from installing. Time to think outside the box...

After hours of cutting, grinding and fitting I finally got a flush fitting Zhukov stock on my C39v1. Some said it couldn't be done... they never hung out with me.

You can see below, how much I had to cut off. The red section on the right was discarded, leaving a flat 90° surface. The stock was still off center, sitting high inside the receiver. So I cut off the bottom of the insert, and then reattached it at the top... represented by the red and blue squares.

ak%20zhukov%2001_zpsynhjfj0f.png

ak%20zhukov%2002_zps9whahnp1.png

Because I didn't have the same attachment points /screws as the rifles that were intended to be used, I modified the stock to install into the receiver with a much larger screw and internal anchor system.

The screw that came with it was 10-24. I replaced it one size up with a 1/4" bolt. I had to slightly enlarge the diameter of the hole. That's when I made the relief space inside the receiver. That allowed the bolt to pass through the receiver where I placed a stainless washer and nut.

After all was said and done, I felt I had weakened the back a bit and wanted to add some extra material. I took the pages out of "How to build a Camero" and filled the inside of the stock with JB Weld.

These pics are "a work in progress"...

Bottom:

20150528_215714-1_zpsgvl2ttsn.jpg

Top:

20150528_215726-1_zps9rnnxmkb.jpg

Inside:

20150528_215510-1_zps0xv3gwai.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4/robocop1051/AK47/20150528_215515-1_zpsvez25ple.jpg

Unfortunately, because this task was a lot of trial and error, littered with four letter words and anxiety, I forgot to take pictures of my progress. I will post pictures of the final product and the complete assembly ASAP.

I'll get to that noise as soon as I take care of this annoying itch on my face. It feels better when I scratch with a claw hammer.

As entertaining as their faces are when on meth ( <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://planetoddity.com/faces-of-meth-addicts/%20),%20I" href="http://planetoddity.com/faces-of-meth-addicts/%20),%20I" m%20still%20perplexed%20on%20how%20their%20buttocks%20disappear."="">http://planetoddity.com/faces-of-meth-addicts/ )

I'm still perplexed on how their buttocks disappear, never to return.

Edited by planeflyer21