• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Headspacing a 7.62x51 chamber

Im new to the 308 ar scene. I have built plenty of Ar-15s though. I recently assembled my ar 308 with a 7.62x51 chambered barrel. The barrel and bcg both came from aims surplus. Now that i have it assembled i needto headspace it. what I was wondering is what gaugesI would need for that? And what issues has anyone had with a 7.62 barrel?

Clymer , Forster , there are others , but not as well known . 308 gages will work , if that's what you are really asking . I haven't had one that didn't Head Space correctly , but with some of the coated Bolts , they may be a little tight , until they have a break in round count .

• 4 weeks later...

Never heard of them either. Wish I knew more about their track record on the accuracy of their gauges. The fact that I can get a set of Clymer gauges from Brownells for the same or less doesn't aid in any attraction.

I'll keep an eye on this company, but I don't forsee any orders from my end.

I found them while searching for a set of 7.62 x 39 gauges - I was after a complete set with a Field gauge and most suppliers only 

had Go and No Go in that caliber. They seem more established with the AK builders. My SAA 16" 7.62 x 39 Barrel and Yankee Hill

Bolt headspaced correctly on their gauges - Go fit, No Go and Field wouldn't chamber and it shoots very well :)  

• 7 months later...

I know it's a bit of a late reply but, Toth Tool has 7.62 NATO and 5.56 NATO Headspace Gauges (Go, No Go, and Field) available (7.62 x 39 as well)

http://www.tothtool.com/Gauges_c_11.html

Might have been a bit late but it's still working. Brownell's currently offers two gauges for the 7.62x51; a Go and a Maximum. Toth has the Go, No Go and Field. Might Brownell's Maximum be the same as Toth's Field? Since DPMS said I should use the 7.62x51 gauges instead of the .308's, I plan to get the 7.62 Go, No Go & Field gauges.

• 2 months later...