• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

now I'm going to ask questions...

What type of gauges did you use?

what is your rifle chambered for?

where there marks on the casing after you got it out of the chamber?

what ammo were you shooting?

More questions to follow... pending on answers. 

Rob, that's probably a big part of my problem.  I figured I'd have a tight chamber, I just didn't realize how tight.  I don't know how I missed that thread....

Mr. Raley, I'm using a set of Forster .308 gauges, 1.630 Go, 1.634 No Go, and a buddy of mine's field gauge if necessary until I can order one.  My BHW barrel is chambered in .308, and I shot a single factory loaded Federal Gold Medal Match .308 168 gr Sierra Match King BTHP.  The casing had two light scratches from the feed ramps and the edge of the rim had a very small flat spot, but no damage or anything.  Good to see you back, brother :D

if that's the case...

you already got it. it is just a really tight chamber. <thumbsup>

Something to take a quick look at though, is the chamber again...

I know, we have figured it out, there's nothing in the chamber, no identifying marks on the casing other than the normal ones from the feed ramps...

it's not the marks you have to worry about. make sure you use a good solvent to clean any residual shipping oil or storage oil from the chamber also.

oil after time of sitting will start to thicken. when it thickens, it gets tacky or sticky. and if it does that after being heated up from the hot brass, it cools off just as fast. holding onto the casing and taking up any available space between the casing and chamber wall, which could also cause a stuck casing. (just a thought)

Do you think any of that Remoil got squirting inside the chamber?

Probably not, but stranger things have happened.  I wouldn't be surprised if I missed a little of that black machine oil BHW uses, though, that schit was coated.  It took over an hour and several hundred patches, as well as many perfectly good toothbrushes, to clean what I thought was all of it out, I'll have to take another look in the morning. 

BTW, I found you some 0w-50, Robo, but you're probably not gonna like the price....

http://www.cvproducts.com/Products.aspx?Search=M1-0W50

I always put just a tiny bit of moly on the lugs if its a brand new weapon...then use Slick 50 or m-pro 7 oil....always works for me

after shooting come back and clean her up making sure no baked on oil or moly found its way into the chamber. Im not anal on what oil to use on a new rifle...as long as its not too thin...Mobil Shmobil...if the guns right  ,and you know where to lube ,you can use Briggs and Stratton  4 cycle oil     :) Wash

Isn't that what NV or spotlights are made for? <laughs>

I've got plenty of that, but that Cooley brake will wake up neighbors a mile down the road. They got a little pissed last time, and that was before the little kids lived next door. You don't wanna wake those lil' tykes up at 1 am with anything, trust me....

Finally got an update for y'all, though just barely thanks to all this rain we've been getting lately.

I got a day off, so I soaked my bcg in about a quart of Mobil1 full syn 0w-50 when I got home from work last night. Before I set up to shoot, I took the bolt out and wiped off the face and lugs, let the carrier drip dry(ish), then re-assembled the bcg and rifle. I made sure to coat some more 0w-50 on the bcg's rails before it went back in the upper. Once I checked that the gas block was fully open I loaded up.

I started with 1 round once again, but this time the bolt had full travel, ejected the spent brass, and locked back. So I loaded 3 more and tried again. Everything was nice and smooth, and the bolt locked back after the last shot. I think it's safe to say she functions now :)

I will say, though, that I'm hitting waaaaay low left, as you can see here (I was aiming @ top right, center @ 100yd):

IMG_20150709_171628_zpshp4wivdr.jpg

In my rifle's defense, I was wore out after getting everything set up and walking almost 800 yards back and forth in the damnnear 100% humidity, and I rushed the last 3 shots to try and beat the rain. Oh yeah, and this was my redneck bench setup today:

IMG_20150709_171803_zps0us1cndn.jpg

One thing I was surprised about was how far my brass was flying. I had a nice, neat "pile" about 8ft to my 5 o'clock, and every casing had a dent in almost the same spot where they bounced off the brass deflector on the upper, which also had a good bit of fine brass powder on it. I can't believe it, but I already need to turn down the gas a little bit, even with how tight everything still is. Go figure.

Weather-permitting, I'll continue the break-in tomorrow.

Right here, Rob. Barrel, not handguard, my bad...

I know, I just hate beating on schit when it ain't necessary.

That being said, I tapped the hell outta the BCG and got it closed, then got my brother to hold the barrel while I forced that BCG back. He of course went flying back into the wall, knocking down every picture on it, but I got it out :D

Thanks y'all, I guess I've just gotta show no mercy and let that phucker fly from now on. And my truck needs an oil change, anyways, I'll just grab an extra quart from Advance tomorrow. What kind of Mobil1 should I run, since y'all are so adamant about it's use :P

Edited by ChaseFan9

I will say, though, that I'm hitting waaaaay low left, as you can see here (I was aiming @ top right, center @ 100yd):

IMG_20150709_171628_zpshp4wivdr.jpg

Zero worries with impacting low left - all you need to do is adjust the sights. The "shotgun pattern" looks pretty good.  <thumbsup> <dontknow> :banana:

If you can't adjust the sights enough to bring it center, then the next step is ratcheting down that nut behind the trigger...  <lmao>

Glad she runs, brother.