• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to the AR 10 platform

Jjgibbs37

ive always been an ak guy. Recently purchased my first ar10 and I love it. Just have 2 questions if anyone could help. First , how do I remove the front sight that stick up in the air so I can equip a scope? Would love to keep the flip up iron sights and use scope of that is an option also.

Second, what measurement should I take and where is a good place to look for a free float quad rail? I want to make sure I buy the right stuff.

I have a bushmaster BR-308

I would really love to trick this thing out I'm just unsure about how to proceed. As it's obvious unlike ak's I can't just buy stuff and make it work or so it seems so far.

I've got a 1-6x scope, it will cowitness with the BUIS's at 1x and starts to disappear much past 2x. I leave the front sight on my AR-10 with a 3x-10x scope and never see it.

Unforgiven is right, the 4th is a great time to drop some coin on parts, have fun!

Edited by jtallen83

First thing you should know is you don't have an AR 10. This seems trivial to most, but we correct that here because it is incorrect and will cause you a great many headaches being new. You have a 308ar. AR10 is the designation for the Armalite brand rifle which has proprietary parts which will not work with some of your parts. Other parts are interchangeable, but we can get to that after.

First , how do I remove the front sight that stick up in the air so I can equip a scope? Would love to keep the flip up iron sights and use scope of that is an option also.

So do you have a pinned front sight post, or flip up BUIS style? I'm confused with your question here.

• 5 years later...

I just found this site this evening.  Not sure if I am in the right spot to start off with; but, when I did a search on BR-308 I found some posts.

My problem is I do not really know what I have.  It is definitely a Bushmaster BR-308 and all I can find is AR10, LR, DPMS, etc. up to now when I search online.

Mine has a BDR00#### serial number and I was wondering if that can tell me anything?  Do I have a factory Bushmaster or could it be a project gun for someone in their basement?  Any way to find out when it was manufactured, if it is a factory job.  Called the Bushmaster Customer Service number and keep going to voicemail.  So, do they exist or not???

I took a guess on some MAGPUL 25-round magazines both the 577 and 292 models and they both seem to work just cycling through manually.  I have not had a chance to get to the range since if bought the rifle - some major back surgery and the doctor won't clear me, yet.

I would like to purchase some spare parts, just in case anything breaks sooner or later; and, maybe customize it some; but, I am totally confused at this point.

I guess I am asking what platform do I look at:  AR10, DPMS, LR, or other.  I've seen there are some slight differences in length of various tubes and rods...

Please forgive my ignorance, this is my first venture into the  AR-15 or AR-10 arena, up till now it's been M1A or 7.62 x 39.  Never did cotton to the AR25 style all the way back to their initial problems.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Esten114 said:

I just found this site this evening.  Not sure if I am in the right spot to start off with; but, when I did a search on BR-308 I found some posts.

My problem is I do not really know what I have.  It is definitely a Bushmaster BR-308 and all I can find is AR10, LR, DPMS, etc. up to now when I search online.

Mine has a BDR00#### serial number and I was wondering if that can tell me anything?  Do I have a factory Bushmaster or could it be a project gun for someone in their basement?  Any way to find out when it was manufactured, if it is a factory job.  Called the Bushmaster Customer Service number and keep going to voicemail.  So, do they exist or not???

I took a guess on some MAGPUL 25-round magazines both the 577 and 292 models and they both seem to work just cycling through manually.  I have not had a chance to get to the range since if bought the rifle - some major back surgery and the doctor won't clear me, yet.

I would like to purchase some spare parts, just in case anything breaks sooner or later; and, maybe customize it some; but, I am totally confused at this point.

I guess I am asking what platform do I look at:  AR10, DPMS, LR, or other.  I've seen there are some slight differences in length of various tubes and rods...

Please forgive my ignorance, this is my first venture into the  AR-15 or AR-10 arena, up till now it's been M1A or 7.62 x 39.  Never did cotton to the AR25 style all the way back to their initial problems.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.  You would do better by starting your own thread.  General discussion would be fine.

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/12-general-discussion/

Get some pictures of the rifle posted so we can see what you have.  Bushmaster had a 308AR platform early that they sold to Rock River Arms.  They are a completely different pattern than Armalite AR10 and LR308 style, aka DPMS.  Later Bushmaster was squires by the group who owned DPMS and made similar pattern 308AR rifles.  That company went out of business due to lawsuits and it was recently broken up and sold in pieces.  The old customer service and records of serial numbers with production dates may be gone.

Also, tell us a little about yourself in an introduction thread.

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/22-introductions/

The Bustmaster BR-308 model is identical in every way to the DPMS LR-308.  All the way to the exruded upper receiver.  Identical.  All DPMS LR-308 parts will work on it, if they're designed for the DPMS LR-308 pattern of guns.

Now, the bad news.  Remington bought DPMS and Bustmaster years ago, and now Remington is bankrupt, defuct, and sold off to 7 different other companies.  All the original websites, with al the tech info and historical information - is gone.

98Z5V,

Thank you very much for that information.  I think that pretty much tells me what I needed to know - unless I've got a Rock River variant.  I did see how the company has been split off and broken up.

It's funny, the Customer Service phone number still has a active voicemail.  Of course, no response to the message I left. 

Thank you very much to respond to my inquiry.

Armed Eye Doc,

Thank you for the advice and information.  I will try to learn how to insert some pictures and introduce myself.  Kind of hesitant to start my own thread...

12 hours ago, Esten114 said:

98Z5V,

Thank you very much for that information.  I think that pretty much tells me what I needed to know - unless I've got a Rock River variant. 

You do not have one of the original Bushmaster guns, that Rock River bought the license to, and started making the RRA LAR-8.  You have the DPMS pattern, and DPMS made it for them - they owned Bushmaster then.  You truly have a DPMS gun, with Bushmaster markings. It was all under the same company then.

Edited by 98Z5V