• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Compatibility of Uppers and Lowers

Vandebrake

Hi everyone, im new to the building an AR world, but I've owned quite a few along with AKs. So my question today is, I'm looking at an (Aero Precision .308 M5 Complete Lower Receiver) and an CMMG Mk3 CBR Complete Upper Assembly .308 Win 16".

As far as I can tell theyre both set up to DPMS, which im pretty sure they should both be compatible. can someone take a lok and tell me if this is a do-able set up?

Thanks in advance.

V

if you need more detail these are the websites im loking at getting them from

Upper: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-CMMG38BEA94

Lower: http://www.surplusammo.com/aero-precision-308-m5-complete-lower-receiver-with-magpul-acs-stock-dpms-cut/

I've heard CMMG doesn't play well with others.  Why not get a matched Aero upper?  Aero's 16" SS barrel upper with 13" keymod rail is around $600 i think?  I got mine on sale for $530.  Not sure if that CMMG one you linked comes with a BCG and CH.  If it doesn't, it's not a great deal.  If it does, it's just average price.  You can get better parts piecing it together for around the same price. .  I have right at $950 in my upper with a Gunfighter charging handle, Cryptic Coatings BCG (which is amazing) and a VG Precision Gamma muzzle brake.  

If you get on Aero's mailing list, they have sales on all the parts pretty often it seems.  I just finished an Aero M5 build and it runs perfectly.  

Edited by Spartan

the other question I have, what is a good magazine to use? P-Mag seems to be a popular choice, do any of you have experience with these mags in Aero products?

Pmag LR20s, Lancer L7s, and DPMS 19-rounders run well through mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, new to the forum. Working on my second build and I have a Tactical Machining lower and want to put an Aero Precision upper on it. Aero has told me that it in theory it will work but no guarantees. Has anyone done it and how did it turn out?

Edited by cg159

Thanks unforgiven. Yeah that is what I have been learning in combing through the posts. My first build is a TM lower with Ares Ajax 18" upper and it shoots and looks great. I am being lazy and trying to find a complete assembled upper with 20" barrel for my second build. Plan B is to buy the TM upper, Faxon 20" barrel, and a Midwest or Troy rail.

cool, thanks guys, so im looking at the uppers for the Aero, as far as the hand guard is concerned, can you mount accessories to the sides and bottom? the top looks like the piccitanny rail, but im not sure about the bottom.

I missed this before - that's KeyMod.  You can attach all kinds of stuff to the rail - even Pic sections - via the KeyMod setup. 

I wish Aero would get off the pot with the M-Lok handguards already...

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, MTwolfy said:

Hey guys I’m buying the 7.62 upper kit from larue tactical will the aero prescision M5 lower fit up nicely I’d get the larue lower but this will save me $80 and 80 bucks is 8o bucks thanks- Matt 

No, it will not fit. Larue is armalite cut for receiver pattern. Stick with matched receivers. It is the best principle in any .308 AR.  If you look at any thread it’s our first suggestion. I have an OBR and love it. Buy both from Larue 

5 hours ago, MTwolfy said:

Hey guys I’m buying the 7.62 upper kit from larue tactical will the aero prescision M5 lower fit up nicely I’d get the larue lower but this will save me $80 and 80 bucks is 8o bucks thanks- Matt 

Once you buy one of the LaRue Ultimate Upper Kits, that "allows" you to buy a LaRue lower receiver - that makes your gun a complete LaRue rifle.  There's no better way to go, and doing anything else would simply be foolish.

As a matter of fact, you can buy LaRue lower receivers now - anybody.  They're selling them to GenPop now.