• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What are the Critical Parts?

I'm building a PSA PA10. Cheap, low quality, and proprietary I know. I am using an ares armor NiB bolt carrier group. The BCG fits nicely into the upper receiver.

I want an accurate 24 inch barreled rifle. I'm planning on getting a fluted 24 inch barrel with a twist rate that will work for medium-long range(around 600 yards).

I want to know what parts do I need that need to be quality for the rifle to shoot at least 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

Are you dead set on a long heavy barrel? Your gun can probably shoot an inch at 100 with a nice trigger installed, or close to. I'd say buy a nice trigger, free float rail, and shoot it. Both those mods will be beneficial even if you still want to swap barrels. There's guys in here shooting those medium ranges with 16" and 18" barrels easy.

Edited by blue109

I'm pretty much set on having a full length barrel. I am interested in long range shooting and using a semi automatic for a change.

I want to know what parts besides a good barrel help get tack driving like accuracy. Can the bolt/action/barrel be "trued" like a bolt action gun can? stuff like barrel nuts, gas systems, and i'm even thinking about threading the barrel to install a boss like on my winchester 70.

also this is going to be a hunting rifle for big game, as i live in my homeland of the AK

I want to know what parts besides a good barrel help get tack driving like accuracy.

Trigger. 

Barrel and trigger.  Those two things are what's gonna determine your accuracy - well, besides you.  600 yards isn't long range, either, even for hunting these days. 

If you want one that will always get the job done, perform exellently for accuracy, and will fit all future needs, then look at this one:

GATHS-DMR-2.jpg

http://geissele.com/hi-speed-national-match-designated-marksman-rifle-dmr-trigger.html

Fully adjustable down into the upper ranges of the Match trigger, and up into the lower ranges of the Service trigger.  It rocks.

Frankie   I hope you are 6'3" and have biceps like the "Rock"  a 24" barrel will get you nothing that a 16/18 wont do cept sore arms and back. all of my 16 inchers shoot submoa/ moa out to 500 . Everything starts adding up on the front end. Dont you want light and quick too?  The trigger is where it pays off....barrels too,but length aint all that  

you can square off the face of the upper...but ive never seen the need....leave the barrel and nut alone....tuning in the gas system for recoil pays off in accuracy for following shots...free float handguard of course   :) Wash

Edited by washguy

ok, but there are triggers out there that do not fit into a PA10 receiver so I'll try to watch out for the ones that don't work with my gun.

If a standard mil-spec trigger will fit in your PA-10 (and it does), then that Geissele DMR will fit.  <thumbsup>

You aren't going to improve anything by swapping extensions. The advice is to add a nice trigger and floated tube and shoot it. Go from there. If you wanted to spend tons of money on little parts, you would have been better off just buying a top tier gun like larue or gap from the go. Just go shoot.

Normally.... like 99.999% of the time.... you don't buy a barrel extension separate from a barrel. A match grade barrel comes with a match grade extension.

The only time you buy separate is if you are having a custom barrel made.

In my case, I wanted a very specific length and contour, carbon fiber wrapped barrel. I also wanted a stainless steel, NiB coated, barrel extension. At that time, very few companies did NiB. I had PROOF Research make my barrel and since SI-D made most of my rifle, and they did NiB, I had them make my extension.

It was not cheap

Normally.... like 99.999% of the time.... you don't buy a barrel extension separate from a barrel. A match grade barrel comes with a match grade extension.

In my case, I wanted a very specific length and contour, carbon fiber wrapped barrel. I also wanted a stainless steel, NiB coated, barrel extension. At that time, very few companies did NiB. I had PROOF Research make my barrel and since SI-D made most of my rifle, and they did NiB, I had them make my extension.

It was not cheap

i didn't know that. good info

It was not cheap

Hes getting some mileage out of that carbon fiber wrapped barrel :banana:

Hes getting some mileage out of that carbon fiber wrapped barrel :banana:

He should , I think he had two children waiting for it . <laughs>

If you plan on hunting with this 15# rifle , I would also hire a weapons barer , to carrie the beast , as was said <dontknow> <laughs>  .  If you plan on bench shooting , a 24" sounds like a plan , but you want a multi purpose rifle & its a good idea to keep weight down for romping around the hunting area & you will not lose much, if any acuatcy in doing so , but its your build & make it your way . 

A good Barrel & Trigger is essential for a great shooting rifle , not to mention the nut behind said Trigger . Ammo is another thing you can't leave out of the equation , try different brands & weight of Bullets loaded in them . As with any Chamber/Barrel , it may like a certain combo or brand . Hand load if your into it , because you have a wider range of components to experiment with , but not absolutely necessary. 

My 16" Criterion Barrel will shoot MOA at 100 yards all day long , even with me trying to screw it up . I have a 18.5 " on the way to test & expect the same performance if not better .