• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Temperature sensitive dilemma

dpete

For background info please refer to my previous post here:  

To make a longish story shorter I made up a few hundred rounds using the 48.8 grain load of CFE 223 at 2.815 COAL.  Back in April with daytime temps in the 50s and 60s I had no pressure signs and things looked good.  I went to the range a couple days ago with a different test ladder and intended on using these Hornady Match 48.8 grain loads for the first barrel warming shots before beginning the ladder shots.  The first shot with the Hornadys had a wicked ejector mark on it, the second had the primer popped partially out, and the third blew the primer out completely.  Temps were in the low 80s.  Obviously the CFE223 is temperature sensitive enough to jack up the pressure with the warmer daytime temp. 

My questions are, how far back would you guys with more experience go to begin a new ladder test?  Would going back to 48.4 and advancing from there be back far enough?  Or would I be better off rerunning the entire ladder test just to be sure I don't miss the accurate load? I am not going to shoot any more of these at the load they are at right now.  I have no qualms about pulling a few hundred bullets and reloading them to be on the side of safety.  Thanks for any and all suggestions.

When I checked out the Hodgdon website it lists the standard col @ 2.80 with a min load of 46.6 & max load of 49 when using CFE223.

If it were me I'd either save the rounds and mark the boxes with temp data to save for uses on those type days or I'd pull them and start a new ladder to ensure I didn't miss the node.

Not to be a jerk but I'd make sure I switched to a non temperature sensitive powder. I have IMR XBR on hand presently. Haven't tried the new Enduron powders yet but I've heard good things about them except they are more expensive.

Since I'm not sure where you live & how much of your seasons fall within the created temperature range I'm not sure which would better suit you.

When I checked out the Hodgdon website it lists the standard col @ 2.80 with a min load of 46.6 & max load of 49 when using CFE223.

If it were me I'd either save the rounds and mark the boxes with temp data to save for uses on those type days or I'd pull them and start a new ladder to ensure I didn't miss the node.

Not to be a jerk but I'd make sure I switched to a non temperature sensitive powder. I have IMR XBR on hand presently. Haven't tried the new Enduron powders yet but I've heard good things about them except they are more expensive.

Since I'm not sure where you live & how much of your seasons fall within the created temperature range I'm not sure which would better suit you.

I found the same thing on Hodgdon's site.

A new ladder is probably in the works.  I would rather determine a good load in warm weather and have to adjust the sights to compensate for cold, than worry about the weather being too hot and having the issues I have now.

I'm in Wisconsin.  Our summers can hit 80s to 90s fairly easily but deer season is the week of Thanksgiving and has been in the single digits fairly often.  My hunting loads were put together when it was cooler and won't be used until the time comes to sight in come November.

Your COL could also have something to do with it , everything expands with ambient temp. Where was the ammo before you shot ? You are also very close to the top of the charge weight , always a danger when up to that point . 

Don't let the Manufacturers fool you , all powders change with temp. differences , some more than others & some safer than others .

^^^  Exactly - he loads those 10s as hot as he can, so it's a double-weapon.  He trains to land the bullet right on point of impact, and can still take out targets to his right, with speeding brass, 30 yards away...  <lmao>

^^^  Exactly - he loads those 10s as hot as he can, so it's a double-weapon.  He trains to land the bullet right on point of impact, and can still take out targets to his right, with speeding brass, 30 yards away...  <lmao>

Any chance of a video? :auto:

Next time we shoot, I will MAKE SURE to grab a vid.  I'm sure there's already one out there, from the shoots we've done - somebody shooting a rifle, and cussing because they're hit with his 10mil brass, and he's nowhere in the video...  <lmao>

Funny as hell ,but pure BS. Longest confermed hit ,6 benches at Rio Salado ,36 feet.

Longest...hit.

We found a pile of 10mm brass on the OTHER side of the berm at Marana.  It's then I remembered Mike running around, scanning the ground saying "I thought I fired more 10mm than that?"

While most of it looked like Mike's typical brass, a few of them most definately, positively had propeller dings on them...which explains whey the aircraft overhead now fly a semi-circle downwind to avoid overflying the range.

Edited by planeflyer21

Most excellent thread hijack guys!  The bullets are all pulled, the cases are all emptied and a new test ladder is in the works.  I can't say the hot 10mm flying cases did me any good but I did get a laugh out of some of the comments.  Carry on carrying on!

Can't comment on CFE223 in 308's but in the 223/556 case my loads are near the top of the load range and I didn't see any pressure signs.

With the 800X in the 10mm the overly hot load would not chamber the next round. I think it was.3 to .4gr less powder from winter load to summer load. Temp range (50° to 60°) in the winter to (105° to 115°) in the summer. The other big difference is the primer selection. An example was going from a CCI350 to the CCI300 for summer loads.

Read a thread I did on primers, very informative. Look at some of the charts and choose a less powerful primer.