• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Handgun laser sights.

Sisco

Never used these, as I would rather depend on good technique and training with conventional sights, but thought I would get everyone's opinions of their pros and cons. I don't want to rule them out if there are some overwhelming advantages to them, but I don't want to mess with all that muscle memory and unconcious competence thing I have built up with conventional sights over the years, unless there is good reason to.

Pros:  One adjusted/zeroed they are on target - out to a crazy distance away, they have you focus upon the laser/on the target (which you do automatically under intense stress), they are pretty good for training people to know where their muzzle is pointed so it becomes instinctual.

Cons: Red washes out in daylight/green is temperature sensitive (so you can not tell for certain where you are aiming), they do not illuminate the target for positive identification, contrary to popular Hollywood mythology a person with a laser aimed at them doesn't see a beam cutting towards them, shooters that have them seem to be lost without them.

I personally don't have any lasers but do have a multitude of students show up with firearms that already have them attached.  Here in the desert, even on a bright cloudy day, you can lose sight of the laser on a black target.  On a sunny day, it will even disappear on a white plate.  An enormous amount of time has been spent saying "Is it on?  I can't see it. Can you see it?"  DON'T POINT IT AT YOUR HAND DAMMIT!!

The lasers that affix to a rail or are integral (think S&W Bodyguard .380) are best.  The ones that mount to the trigger guard work but seem to be a bit flimsy for up close social affairs.  The guide rod lasers have an annoying ability to shift the point of impact feet in between shots, though some are praised highly as "good enough for pistol range".  I have no experience with those.

Thanks PF21. Thinking about it for a dedicated home defense firearm. The pistol already has tritium night sights. But thought a laser might have some advantages in low light/dark conditions at close range if needed. Would be mounted on a built in picatinny rail.

I have a couple the Viridian I won on a raffle is set up for a rifle and I run a M6X on my MK25. I don't shoot much with the laser but a good light is a must, my 600 lumen Surefire still doesn't seem quite enough. In a pinch the laser could come in handy but the biggest use I have found for it is dry fire practice. My wife has greatly improved her trigger control by watching the laser move around as she pulls the trigger.

Edited by jtallen83

I think Crimson trace is the one on the S&W bodyguard line,not sure.I like it on the revolver.

Oh yeah.  Another personal dislike I have with the grip lasers, they are on the right hand side and top of the grip for both semi-autos and revolvers.

When a right-handed shooter has their finger out of the trigger guard and along the frame, the laser is blocked by the trigger finger.

Funny how this came out just as I am contemplating a laser for my duty pistol. The only one I'd choose is the LaserMax guide rod system. I already have a Surefire X300 Ultra with a DG switch, mounted on the rail. I would've bought the X400, but holsters (triple threat) are near impossible to get/find.

My father has the guide rod laser in his Kimberly TLE/RL Custom. He loves his and has no complaints. 

I won't lie. I only want the laser because it looks cool.

What about a flashlight ?

As an insructor who is burdened with the liability of how his students act with the training they receive, I do not recommend firearm-mounted flashlights.  Where the light is pointed, so is the muzzle.  Yes arguments can be made that everything will be illuminated enough to identify your target (or non-target) before the muzzle is aligned for the shot, your home is your castle, etc.

Even here in gun friendly Arizona, pointing a firearm at a person without justification may be treated as a felony (prosecutor's discretion).  That's the simple explanation.  Now, after having been asleep and hearing a loud noise that roused you from sleep, you arm your sleepy self with a firearm and a light, and a whole bunch of adrenaline.

Do you want a more immediate response or an additional layer of time to allow you to process the information?  The handheld flashlight gives you that layer of time.

Now I will add if you are going to pull the light out of the package, turn it on and off a couple of times, mount it to the firearm and turn it on and off a couple of times, then call it good, you need a separate handheld flashlight.

If you are going to train train train to a point where a SWAT officer observing your fine example of warriorship will feel like a person lucky to make it home every day, then mount a light to your firearm.

Personally I think the rule that the trigger finger must be straight  outside and along the trigger guard is for newbies.

Mine goes inside the trigger guard as soon as the pistol-revolver clears the holster....I know I am old, older, oldest school and a brown shoe Marine to boot. If I have to pull, something needs a couple of shots..NOW!

By the way I have never shot anything that didn't need shooting.

One of my Marine buddies also was a LEO and he shut down a pool hall fracus by drawing and accidently fireing his service revolver, the round went thru the wood floor right between the feet of a big bad guy with a butcher knife....that stopped the fracus before it got bad.  Sometimes you need a little devine intervention. "So pardners.... practice, practice, practice and tell her you love her, drink your milk, eat your veggies and say your prayers every night before you go to beddie-by".

• 4 weeks later...

I have mixed dominance (very right handed but left eye dominant) so handguns tend to be difficult for me to shoot well.  As a result, I put Lasermax units on both my Ruger LCP and LC9.  This makes it much simpler to quickly acquire a target so I will be putting these (the guide rod version) on my Glocks (17 and 36) and my Springfield Micro Compact (if I can find something that will fit).

I have mixed dominance (very right handed but left eye dominant) so handguns tend to be difficult for me to shoot well.  As a result, I put Lasermax units on both my Ruger LCP and LC9.  This makes it much simpler to quickly acquire a target so I will be putting these (the guide rod version) on my Glocks (17 and 36) and my Springfield Micro Compact (if I can find something that will fit).

I have the same problem, right hand dominant, but left eye dominanat. So I shoot a rifle left handed-left eyed, and have trained over the years to shoot right handed and with my right eye with a pistol. Weird but it works for me, and at my age I ain't gonna mess with it.