• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Help with M5E1 Aero Precision Build

BUmmedic

Took my M5E1 build (all Aero parts unless otherwise specified) out yesterday for the first time: matched M5E1 ODG cerakote receivers with 15" M-Lok hand guard, 16" QPQ barrel, low pro GB, melonite gas tube, LPK, nitride BCG, A2 flash hider, carbine buffer kit, Troy BUIS, Magpul CTR/MOE grip/AFG, and some Ergo rail panels.

One failure to feed in first 10 rounds, the remainder up to 60 fed, fired, and ejected. Ejection pattern pretty consistent in the 1:30-3:00 position, about 4-5 feet away. Used two types of brass factory ammo, both NATO FMJ - one mil-surplus and one ZQi Guardian. No reloads. I've shot this through my .308 20" rifle, which shows a pretty consistent 4:30-5:00 ejection pattern at same 4-5 foot distance. Brass was also showing extraction claw on some, ejector swipes pretty consistently, mild denting of case mouth on some of the ZQi, mild denting just below shoulder on a few from both batches. No blown/bulging/flattened primers that I could see. Have never fired a 16" .308, so recoil was definitely sharper (which is what I expected). Also appears that the cases are striking the rear of the ejection port opening and stripping some of the cerakote finish away. 

I contacted Aero and they suggested firing some heavier-grain .308 commercial ammo to compare, but it does kind of bother me that there may be an issue with this thing shooting run-of-the-mill FMJ. 

Is this something that I should worry about and troubleshoot? I've already gotten suggestion for an adjustable gas block from one of my buddies. I have no problem doing that, but don't want to fix what ain't broken, or miss something else that may be a bigger problem. Thanks in advance!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Thanks for the responses, guys... I'm starting to think it's nothing to worry or right home about. I don't know about the "running down my arm" wet, but I use a healthy mixture of Rem-Oil and MPro7 on a soaked rag to wipe down all parts once they're clean... gets them nice and slick, before reassembling and wiping them down again and spraying them with Rem-Oil aerosol and putting it all back together. I've never had a problem, plus, I can take the aerosol with me to the range to spray down as I see fit during shooting, and before running a patch or bore snake for a provisional clean before packing up and heading home. I've never tried the Castrol or Mobil-1 treatment, but a lot of guys I know like it. Thanks again!

Wiping down with an oil soaked rag is not what these guys were saying. We've found that literally dripping with oil works the best, seriously!

yup, cone tip mini squeeze bottle with Mobil one synthetic. Not quite running down your arm but a good helping apllied directly to parts from the bottle

Wiping down with an oil soaked rag is not what these guys were saying. We've found that literally dripping with oil works the best, seriously!

Oh, it gets sprayed down to dripping, wiped (great way to keep the rag soaked), and then sprayed again to dripping before being reassembled. It may not be dripping down my arm, but it's wet. Sorry if it came across as otherwise.

I saw that on another site. I actually took the buffer spring out, left the buffer in the tube, and dropped the carrier into the tube while holding the trigger down to get it out of the way to see if it would make contact. The carrier actually has several millimeters of play and does not make contact with the lower. I don't know where these marks could be coming from. I'm perplexed.

The limits of travel in live fire may be different. 50 cents did the trick for me on my Matrix build.

But if the carrier doesn't contact the lower with only the buffer sitting in the tube, I don't see how live fire would allow it to go further and make contact unless every shot is allowing the buffer or tube to compress or elongate and plastically deform and rebound (I'm not a physics or engineering major, but something tells me a 7075 mil-spec tube won't do that). If it will, please someone school me... I've always been a good student. 

Edited by BUmmedic

There is a bumper on the end of the buffer, maybe it compresses some. Could also be carrier tilt allowing contact, not sure but it sure looks like the dings I had on mine, I used an Aero tube as well and they are known for this issue. I notched my tube to get more threads engaged and secure the detent better as well, it was just captured by the tube and was leaning at an angle till I cut the notch for it.

7" is correct for a std AR 15 Receiver Extension ( Buffer tube ) & is used for DPMS type Carbines.

3.8 oz. Buffer is a little Heavier than the ones I have , but a good thing .

2.5" is correct for a DPMS Carbine length Buffer

27 coils are two less then the normal 29 coils I have here with two Springs , but may be the way you counted . If the coil count is correct , the less coils may be an issue .

11 1/4 " spring length is correct for a DPMS Carbine Buffer spring .

I don't see what Gas system length you barrel has . It could make a difference , a Carbine gas system could cause a faster & longer Gas signature . The slight touching at the Extension headed area on the Lower Receiver could also be how the Receiver is made .

If Buffer spring actually has only 27 coils , I would see if you could get another one to try , it doesn't take much to unbalance the system , if you are compressing the Buffer material on the end of the Buffer that much , that is a problem & stacking $$ in there is just putting a bandaid on to fix a larger issue with the Buffer system . 

If a New Spring doesn't take care of it , there is a a Company that is on this sight ' Heavy Buffers " who you can get a Heavier Buffer & his cut down AR 10 Spring that will should help slow the BCG down to stop it from hitting the Receiver.