• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Do you hunt with yours? I'd love to see pics and hear ammo advice

Hoff

I just got my LAR8 Predator HP in November, 3 days before deer gun. Sighted it in the day before and laid low my first booner! 8 points with a 165 2/8 inch net score. Never thought that would happen. I am using Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain BTHP, and it did the job but shot placement was perfect. That's not always the case, so am I using the right ammo? What do you guys use, such as manufacturer, bullet type, and grain? And what do you hunt? I use factory ammo. Thanks all, I am very .308 inexperienced. (except for the 240B LOL)

IMG_1192.thumb.JPG.2bdbce22edef5c8c36de5

Thank you. That one makes my list to try, I checked some reviews and people are grouping half inch at 100 and an inch at 200, lot of 3/4 at 100 as well. That's pretty good and they say the damage is pretty massive. As I get recommendations I would like to try a few kinds, this will be one. Only downside is it's pricey

Yessir frankh I agree. The accuracy of the FGMM out of my lar8 was 3/4 at 100, which is great for me. It is the terminal performance that concerns me. It put him down real well but so many people think hollow points are not good hunting rounds. I thought it was fine, but I grew up shooting core-loct all my life from an -06 and a 30-30 so what do I know about hunting with hollow points. I appreciate you guys' help as I feel out this new territory.

Triple, you are absolutely right. A few rounds cost doesnt matter much. Plus when I have been waiting all year, and the next shot could always be the buck of a lifetime I guess good rounds are in that way priceless.

....but so many people think hollow points are not good hunting rounds....

For me it's just a matter of how much shrapnel do you want to pick out of the meat. Personally, I prefer the cleaner wound cavity produced by the FMJ. And btw, nice shooting, sir. You don't need any help from us but we appreciate your sincerity.

Frankh see that is a good point. I have shot a shoulder or two in my day when a deer is running like hell. Not many, I don't want to ruin a ton of meat. FMJ is illegal to hunt with in Wisconsin, but maybe I will look for something like a polymer tip round.

Good shooting brother Hoff,some of the guys like Barnes TSX. Wish i could deer hunt with a rifle round here.Can only use rifle that uses a pistol round.Thinkin Henry lever in .44 .Going through the process of becoming a hunters ed. instructor for DNR.Going out with my neighbor next year.There is a place close where a deer reduction permit can be had.

Unforgiven; Thanks! That henry though, is a good choice. The 44 mag has a lot of options out there for ammo, as it is an established and versatile caliber. decent range too.There are good normal loads, and Cor-bon and Buffalo bore have some more "custom" loads for the 44 mag. Real smashers, mine are 300 grain jacketed flat nose +P+ rounds hahaha bought for bear hunting up here. If you ever want to hunt with your AR though, Wisconsin has near endless amounts of quality public land!

IMG_1432.JPG

I've always shot Winchester power points or max bounded in 150 or 180 in my 30-06 and .308. When I when bear hunting in 14 I sighted in to shoot Barnes vort-tx 150  TSX. I've yet to shoot and any furry things with them but on paper they're spot on, and I like the fact that they're solid copper with a polymer tip. We've blown a few shoulders out but I've never run into anything in my meat, but it eases the mind knowing there's 0 lead specially with little ones in the house

See this is exactly why I posted this thread. I am getting good consistent advice. The barnes TSX and the accubond have been recommended multiple times, so they are the frontrunners. I will shoot both of them and see which pattern makes me comfortable, and feel a bit better in the woods next year. I was concerned that the FGMM might just explode in a big buck if I hit him wrong.

• 4 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 12:16 PM, Hoff said:

I just got my LAR8 Predator HP in November, 3 days before deer gun. Sighted it in the day before and laid low my first booner! 8 points with a 165 2/8 inch net score. Never thought that would happen. I am using Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain BTHP, and it did the job but shot placement was perfect. That's not always the case, so am I using the right ammo? What do you guys use, such as manufacturer, bullet type, and grain? And what do you hunt? I use factory ammo. Thanks all, I am very .308 inexperienced. (except for the 240B LOL)

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 12:16 PM, Hoff said:

HOF From LGA

If you are happy with your ammo choice then stick with it,  some firearms are picky about ammo.  I don't hunt, after my stint with the USAF Special Operation Forces I just couldn't kill an animal & I used to hunt a lot.  I have two 7.62 X 51 rifles that are the same , I shoot Hornady .308 Win. 178 gr., BTHP  for Pro. shoots.  An example  of being picky, several years ago I built three semi-auto rifles, two were the same other had a bull barrel.  I was shooting Federal Match ammo in all three with excellent results, due to shortage of Fed. ammo I tried PMC same wt. & bullet type.  At the  same distance & scope setting the PMC consistently shot low, switched back to Hornady & shots were perfect,  so ammo does make a difference.

Happy Hunting.