• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

It Sucks going First.........

jtallen83

With Iowa recently legalizing suppressor ownership for private citizens and then the new rules for trusts going into effect July 13th I'm trying to get as much bought as I can as soon as I can. I got the trust documents from Silencer Shop all filled out and notarized, easy stuff once I got all the trustees organized with a notary. Then I go to my LGS to tell him to make sure and save one of the AAC 7.62-SDN-6's he has ordered for me. He tells me he has the serial number for it already so we can start the paperwork, the confusion begins, I'll be his first suppressor sale! He tries to call someone to tell him what he has to do for paperwork on a trust but after 4 different calls find empty offices he gives that up. His help is dead set that I still need to fill out the entire form 4, CLEO sign off, photo's, fingerprint cards, the whole smear even with the trust. I've done a ton of research that tells me otherwise but I figured I'd get the stuff together, photo was a quickie at walmart, fingerprint cards not so easy, Sheriff's office tells me I have to supply the cards, back to the LGS, the owner is a Cop and tells me he knows they have the correct applicant cards on hand, back to the Sheriff's office just in time to see it close. An evening of reading from different websites and the ATF website and I'm even more convinced his help is wrong. Everything I've heard tells me one box filled out wrong and the whole process starts over again so I want it done right. I've printed about 30 pages of instructions I found while researching buying with a trust in hopes of getting it right. I'm wishing I didn't have to "lead the way" on this one but if I have to it will be "all the way"...............hope I can post a succesful after action review tomorrow............have to pray for some patience tonight, wish me luck.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've researched that and found two issues, I really want to support my local dealer and Silencer Shop does not have the SDN-6 I want in stock right now. If I can't get anywhere with the dealer today then I'll have to backup and punt. I hope to get a silencer for my MK-25 in June and will most likely just deal with Silencer shop then.

4 hours, a bunch of phone calls, and a tree's worth of wasted paper but I have a form 4 on the way to the ATF! I finally got them to agree that a trust negated the fingerprint, photo, and CLEO signoff requirements! Just hope my form 4 doesn't become any more of a learning experience than it has already been..............

Discovered another bonus to using my LGS, I will be able to use the suppressor at their indoor range while I wait for the stamp:banana: 

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

4 hours, a bunch of phone calls, and a tree's worth of wasted paper but I have a form 4 on the way to the ATF! I finally got them to agree that a trust negated the fingerprint, photo, and CLEO signoff requirements! Just hope my form 4 doesn't become any more of a learning experience than it has already been..............

Discovered another bonus to using my LGS, I will be able to use the suppressor at their indoor range while I wait for the stamp:banana: 

Awesome happy banana dance fo sho!!!!

:fullauto::fullauto:

Good deal JT. And you were right the whole time. The whole purpose of the trust was so that you wouldn't have to have photo's/fingerprint cards. After all, the trust isn't a living entity. Just a place for the weapons to subside. You should be good to go. I never had a problem with any of my paperwork (except for one pesky SBR, but that was a state law holdup). Just as long as you sent along copies of the trust with the form 4. You did attach them to it didn't you? You better say yes, or we'll all collectively slap you. :laffs:

I'm counting on the dealer to have properly packaged the documents. He was mailing them for me after the boss and others got a chance to see them, I'm the guinea pig so everyone at the LGS wants to learn from my trip down the rabbit hole. I know I left them with a hard copy of my trust to duplicate and then emailed a PDF version so they can print them on future purchases, I believe I'll be paying for an AAC Illusion 9 pistol suppressor first of June, gotta beat that rule change!

• 2 weeks later...

The wife just called to tell me the $200 payment to the ATF cleared today, another small step forward. I hope to pay for an AAC Illusion next when I'm home for Memorial Day week. My gun budget will be sucked dry for the year but I'd like to get another SDN-6 in the works before the July rules change, gotta make up for lost time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My LGS is getting it down pat now, 15 minutes in and I was signing the credit card slip for an AAC Ti-rant 45. I decided not to wait for the Illusion-9 to come in stock, looks like the Ti-rant 45 will be a more versatile suppressor anyway. Didn't hurt that the LGS agreed to do the labor on any sight and barrel work I need at no charge :thumbup:

ATF charged the $200 on the second SDN-6 last week so things are proceeding on track so far. Got to handle all the suppressors today, watched them shoot a FNX 45 Tactical at the indoor range but the steel bullet traps kind of ruin the experience so I'll wait to shoot mine till I can take them outdoors. Time to start planning a 300 BO build!

11 minutes ago, sketch said:

Oh man you got it good!!! Or they got you??

.300 blk is by far my fav! 

Lots of macaroni and cheese with hot dogs for dinner these past few months. I've been waiting a long time for Iowa to decide I could have them then the deadline for the new rules on trusts caused me to do a bunch of buying in a hurry. Might be some time before I can afford a 300BO build but then it doesn't cost to plan. 

I have the feeling the wait will be long and i will forget about it with the buy up and a new program in a gov business..?

for sure this relm of dealers are different from the rest! They actually apreciate the people and the purpose? 

Took a leap on the lgs but silencershop is top notch!

4 minutes ago, sketch said:

Took a leap on the lgs but silencershop is top notch!

Dealer told me his contact at ATF said they were worried about fire code violations due to the boxes of forms lining the hallway at their office. Hope they have a plan besides just making us wait!

So far my LGS pricing is within $20 of Silencer Shop, nice to be able to support my local but Silencer Shop seems to be setting the prices for the market.

15 hours ago, sketch said:

I have the feeling the wait will be long

Wait times for efile were getting down to 3 months but have shot up to 5-6 months and expected to get longer! I submitted a form 1 to build another suppressor on Feb 6th and if the wait times had held it would have been approved sometime in May. It's still in in the system and I don't expect it will get approved before next month.