• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Another Buffer/Buffer Tube Question

gig'em11

For the past month or so while doing research on building my gun, I wasn't able to actually go to a gun shop/gunsmith and talk to them about building my .308.  One of the things he said was that since I went with a rifle length gas system in a 20" barrel, I wouldn't be able to use a carbine length tube because it will never cycle right.  He said it was because the rifle length gas system won't give enough gas for it to work.  While this didn't quite make sense to me, I wanted to trust him since this is what he does for a living.  

I was hoping to use an adjustable stock on my build, have yall ever heard anything like this concerning the different extension lengths?  Thanks for the help!

What is the build spec's , Armalite AR 10 type or DPMS type ?

They use different length Receiver Extension ( Buffer Tube ) Springs & buffers . Basically use one system or another & you will be fine , as long as the set up consists of 308AR components as per each systems requirements .

I have a 16" , rifle Gas system with a DPMS Carbine stock set up & it works fine .

He's regurgitating false internet lore with no actual experience to back it up. What he said makes no sense, since a carbine buffer is lighter than a rifle buffer, and would therefore perform better in an undergassed rifle. Point is moot since a 20" rifle gas .308 will not be remotely undergassed unless the barrel manufacturer drilled the gas port too small.  You will be fine with a carbine setup. I also have a 16" rifle gas with carbine buffer and it runs flawless. 

Now you just need to decide which carbine buffer system you want to use like SS said. DPMS Or AR10

GIG    Yep the gunsmith knows not what hes talkin about....use what Unforgiven using or a  milspec dpms buffer tube milspec buffer and a 308car spring or a Tubbs ar308 spring...I like those      Rifle length gas and a carbine buffer tube work just fine          Wash

36 minutes ago, BIGBREW said:

The more I read about this the more I am either over thinking it or confused.  I plan on running a 20" rifle length barrel so what should I be running for a tube, spring and buffer if I was going to run a low profile non adjustable gas block?

Big   yeah you are...cornfused...just like survival said the gas block means nothing in that equation ..20" rifle length barrel is the distance of the gas port .

so if your talking what gas tube you need its a rifle length gas tube and any gas block you want just so it fits under the handguard...if the handguard doesnt cover the gas port..than any gas block you want...now that is the gas tube...then the other tube you were talkin bout is the buffer tube...if you are gonna run a non adjustable A type rifle stock you would choose a rifle buffer tube.. and a rifle buffer/spring 308 style.if you have monkey arms use a car stock 6 position type...you are gonna use a car ar15 buffer tube be it mil spec or commercial.....just get you a mil spec car ar15 buffer tube a dpms 308car buffer and 308 car spring and a nice car butt stock...easy peasy       Wash