• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 handguard wont mate up

bob35614

Hello to all,

New member has a ? for all you builders.  Have a Aero M5  DPMS 308 upper and a keymod 15" 308 handguard with barrel nut. Putting on the barrel nut until its as far as it will go on there is a gap between the parts as picture shows. The rail only slides on this far and the holes for mounting screws match up at this position. The place where I bought the rail said it would work with the Aero upper.  I have built a few AR 15's before but the 308 is all new to me with all the different  type parts. What is the reason for this gap? I would appreciate any help you folks can offer to me.  Thanks in advance.

DSC05825.jpg

3 minutes ago, bob35614 said:
1 hour ago, edgecrusher said:

What brand is the rail?        It's from a machine shop in CA that makes them for Palmetto Arm.  and a couple rifle mfg.. It's a real nice quality made rail but that does me no good if I can't use it. Thanks for reply.

Did you contact them??

Might be worth taking it apart and getting some dimensions. Detail out the barel nut. The Aero upper should be fine, but check all of the thread dimensions and maybe someone here can compare. I'd go with Shepp and say a phone call to the machine shop that made the rail could be a good start. It's possible they've seen the issue before and might point you in the right direction fast. 

Give the barrel a tug. Does the barrel wobble? If it moves, the nut isn't screwing on far enough. If it doesn't, the nut is out of spec.

If it's the upper, I would guess that the threads on the upper we're not completed or finished. It could be as simple as too much material/finish on the threads. Have you tried a different barrel nut yet? If a different nut fits, then the original nut needs to be addressed. If the second nut doesn't work out, the upper is out of spec.

A barrel nut should be worked on and off 3 or 4 times to ensure its seating all the way back.

You can clean up those threads with a wire brush really fast. A brass wheel on a dremmel is even faster.

Needless to say. The gap is definitely too large.

2 hours ago, blue109 said:

Did you thread the nut on the bare upper by itself just to check the threads are right? No rail or barrel? It should spin on without any trouble. If not, they may have sent you an AR10 nut.

Yikes! That could be devastating to the aluminum... depending on how hard one torqued on it.

Too much grease , can't see fitment .

Define as far as it will go , is this with the barrel in the Upper Receiver ?

Did this Hand Guard come with instructions ?

How does the Barrel Nut fit in the Hand Guard with out it mounted on the Receiver .

If you threaded an AR 10 Barrel Nut on there , the Upper Is probably toast !

Just ask Rob and MaDuce!

seriously though. Don't JB weld it. That's horrible advice. 

Was the index pin fully into it's slot when the barel nut went on?  That's about the distance of your gap.   And for the record this is not my photo...borrowed from online and cannot credit its owner. 

image.jpeg