• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Difference between a SR and DPMS builds

Jetdoc

Gents,

Ive built AR 15s before and am researching for my first 308 build. Can someone explain the difference between a SR and DPMS build? I know I'm in a money pit hobby and dont mind it. What I hope to do is spend wisely. If I understand from my reading the barrel and BCG have to match a SR or DPMS configuration? This is my first question of many to follow.

I ended with the DPMS due to two main reason, 'parts supply' and 'cost'.

With the AR10,  you're stuck mainly with Armalite supplier only and the cost was higher. 

With the DPMS, parts are developed and sold by more after market suppliers, quality material and the cost is less. 

There are many videos and write-ups of this on the web from people jumping into the early in the game.

SR25 is a specific rifle. The main patterns are DPMS or Armalite AR10. It gets confusing because even manufacturers sometimes incorrectly refer to their parts as AR10.

several of the big manufacturers like Larue and  RRA are completely proprietary and don't use many off-the-shelf parts. Some are semi compatible with some proprietary and some generic parts. I'd suggest you find a reciever set you want and start researching the build from there.

• 1 year later...

This is the thing that worries me.  I’ve contacted Spike’s via email and Facebook, but no reply yet (of course it’s the weekend lol)

i havent been able to find them seperated, so I’m guessing they’re proprietary.. which makes me sad.

Because I can’t put this guy on there...:

https://uintahprecision.com/product/bolt-action-ar-upper-assembly/

Edited by xTRUCKASAURUSx

^^^  It's funny how many times they use "AR-10" in their description, and there's NOTHING about that upper receiver that would work right on an AR-10...

Terminology is important. Very important. That manufacturer doesn't know what the hell they're talking about...

In light of that - think about what you'll buy from them.

3 hours ago, xTRUCKASAURUSx said:

This is the thing that worries me.  I’ve contacted Spike’s via email and Facebook, but no reply yet (of course it’s the weekend lol)

i havent been able to find them seperated, so I’m guessing they’re proprietary.. which makes me sad.

Because I can’t put this guy on there...:

https://uintahprecision.com/product/bolt-action-ar-upper-assembly/

You don’t need to contact Spikes. I can answer those questions here.

1. The Jack10 is only sold as a set. 

2. That bolt-action upper will NOT fit a Jack10 lower. 

Here’s a close up of the bolt action upper vs a Jack10 receiver set. You’ll see the lines just don’t match up. 

F88EE1B8-8579-4E37-AFC4-C6F3AF8893C1.jpeg

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

^^^  It's funny how many times they use "AR-10" in their description, and there's NOTHING about that upper receiver that would work right on an AR-10...

Terminology is important. Very important. That manufacturer doesn't know what the hell they're talking about...

In light of that - think about what you'll buy from them.

PS. 98 is absolutely right here. If a company doesn’t know wtf they’re making/selling... STAY AWAY!!! 

That upper will NOT fit on an AR-10. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2018 at 10:13 AM, xTRUCKASAURUSx said:

Thanks for all the help, everyone.  Looks like I’ll be piecing together a 6.5mm creedmoor upper myself.  I also got confirmation from Sharps bros. that they are, in fact, a machined set, and not interchangeable with any other uppers...  a shame.  

Back to the drawing board!

Welcome to the forum feel free to tell us about yourself in the intro section