• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1:8 for a 308?

jtallen83

Just noticed these 18 inch rifle length gas barrels for AR-10's with a 1:8 twist. Anyone heard of running this twist in a 308 before? Purpose?

https://armalite.com/shop/ar-10-308-18-target-barrel-black/

They also have 1:10 twist on an 18 inch rifle length gas barrel, I may just have to grab one, with well over 3,000 rounds on my AR-10 barrel and the increasing scarcity of manufacturers making barrels for it it can't hurt to have another ready to go.

7 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Missprint ? 

Thought about that but noticed they have the same two options on their 13.5 inch target barrel. I hope to get a response from them, the old Armalite was always forthcoming with information, the new owners hide behind the export ban when not wanting to share info.

The 1:8 twist on .308 bored barrels is for the new super heavy long-distance rounds, with the projectiles being 295gr with the tungsten core and the military-only depleted uranium coming in at 365gr.

Muzzle velocity is low for both, below 2000fps, but both still retain over 1600fps past 1400 yards.

The ability to punch through light armor at 700 yards is pretty impressive if you ask me!

Interesting that these are being sold to the general public.  I was under the impression they were only being sold for remotely operated platforms on the new Chevrolet Knight Rider and Bell Helicopters Airwolf 2020 project.

:hornet:

That would make some sense , but that weight Bullet would have the trajectory of a Bowling Ball & I don't buy the Armor penetration with the Tungsten core , the Depleted Uranium , maybe , because it creates its own energy at point of impact . I thought or read somewhere that it too has to be at a hyper speed to accomplish this , but I really don't know anything about this Barrel or ammo , got a link ?

49 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

... the Depleted Uranium , maybe , because it creates its own energy at point of impact .

I'm not sure what you mean by that. A DU round can't "create" energy any more than any other projectile. A DU round, like any other projectile upon impact, will convert some of its kinetic energy into heat energy. With a very hard, very high speed projectile like a DU round, it will either penetrate and/or convert to a tremendous amount of heat capable of melting the object it is impacting.

9 minutes ago, mineralman55 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. A DU round can't "create" energy any more than any other projectile. A DU round, like any other projectile upon impact, will convert some of its kinetic energy into heat energy. With a very hard, very high speed projectile like a DU round, it will either penetrate and/or convert to a tremendous amount of heat capable of melting the object it is impacting.

Not to be too argumentative , but isn't that what I said . Velocity , impact/ kinetic energy  , creating heat , which is enhanced because of the material used ( Deplete Uranium ) Once that crap is heated to a point , its like Magnesium ( may be a poor example , but I think you get the point  ) :thumbup:

I've read a few interviews with Todd Hodnett, stating that he has often shot well beyond 1K with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist in .308.  Yes,  with heavier bullets.  Communicating with Bryan Litz, he also advocated for a faster twist at long range with heavier projectiles when trying to find the best B.C.   I also think Remington used to sell a ~18" 700 bolt action with a 1:7.5 twist from the factory, or something similar.

On 2/27/2017 at 9:58 AM, jtallen83 said:

How heavy a bullet could I actually use in my AR-10 though? The 175's are pushing the COL the way it is. If I knew I could use something 220 or higher I'd grab one of those 18 inch rifle gas barrels for the money.

Hornady 10 load manual changes all that.  Loading 220s at 2.800 C.O.L. now.

.308 Win travelling at well beyond subsonic, but helpful in suppressed use.

Hornady 9 manual only listed up to 195 BTHPs loaded to 2.800 C.O.L.  This new stuff changes everything.  And 1:10 won't cut it as well as the (even) faster twists. 

• 8 months later...

I caught a podcast today with an interview of Bryan Litz of Applied Ballistics and Berger Bullets. After hearing this and seeing that the new ArmaLite site still lists the 13.5 inch barrel at 1:8 twist I don't think it is a typo. Bryan stated that because of the loss in velocity of the shorter barrel a faster twist is needed to stabilize projectiles when they go transonic. It confused me a bit because transonic is transonic, might happen at a different range but the same thing happens? He had a lot of ballistic mumbo jumbo about the physics of it but I would tend to just accept his word. He did say that there would be little to no difference before the bullet hits transonic.

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10-308-13-5-target-barrel/

http://www.precisionriflemedia.com/podcast/2016/4/28/prm-005-bryan-litz

It's a typo - and I've contacted Armalite about it.  They don't seem to care.

They copied most of the description for these barrels right from the 5.56 version/listings (which, those two 3-Gun barrels in 5.56 are 1:8 twist).  One day, they'll change it to 1:10" like it really is.  Or, they won't.  They didn't seem to care that I pointed it out to them.

I have the 13.5" .308 Win barrel, and it's a 1:10" twist.  Shoots like a champ, too.  Rob was the first one to fire it up, and it does run.  MAN, does it run!...  :laffs:

18 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

It's a typo - and I've contacted Armalite about it.  They don't seem to care.

Wonder why they fixed one typo and not the other? Either way once the preeminent Ballistician of our day starts recommending a 1:8  for short barrel 308's you can bet there will be some on the market soon.

It's imprinted on the barrel.  If you look at the other detailed pics in the product listing, they might still have the pic that shows the barrel markings - I looked at that before I bought the barrel, but was going to buy it anyway if it was 1:8".  It's marked "7.62AM SS 1:10."5a00fb6d8ef6f_13-5AM2.thumb.jpg.09f1469024e8489ee2ce55cbd794524f.jpg5a00fb7d50d18_13-5AM3.thumb.jpg.c2f0c20d8fb8484d376bea232bbb1120.jpg5a00fb89ab34c_13-5AM4.thumb.jpg.a07f9610f3d99c504dcbcb1e86b70644.jpg

Here's the beast"

5a00fb59747a5_13-5AM5.thumb.jpg.a2efea9e68e37d96ac2a7a552b64d864.jpg