• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR-308 Lower Build Tool?

SwampGunnr

4 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Those are known as 'Ah Schit' parts and are closely related to 'Jesus clips' which are those little bitty hairpin clips used on the litle linkage rods on carburetors. I know, some of you don't even know what the fukk a carburetor is, and I don't want to hear it!:lmao:

I'm a carb guy, brother.  My life was WAY easier before Fuel Injection came along...  :thumbup::banana:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

You and me both brother! That's why I have an Edelbrock 750 on that late model 5.7 Hemi in the Cuda! Thank God they make carb manifolds for those engines!

and we had no idea that the two dudes on planet earth that hate fuel injection live right here on 308AR.COM, and in Arizona!

this is really a new one on me heminut, i had no idea that folks would/could do that? and I spose you've got to re-educate your onboard computer!!!

thats why I'm STILL looking for an early second Gen Camaro/Firebird,  the last 70 Z-28 I drove had Edelbrock Aluminum heads and Fuel Injection, ran like a bat out of hell, the 5 speed Tremec was icing on the cake. Now I'm looking at an all stock, (still has the emissions on the exhaust manifolds) 73 Z...

these little stories keep me from having any real desire to "build a rifle", lol, but they do keep me entertained...

Edited by billymagg

1 minute ago, billymagg said:

this is really a new one on me heminut, i had no idea that folks would/could do that? and I spose you've got to re-educate your onboard computer!!!

thats why I'm STILL looking for an early second Gen Camaro/Firebird,  the last 70 Z-28 I drove had Edelbrock Aluminum heads and Fuel Injection, ran like a bat out of hell, the 5 speed Tremec was icing on the cake. Now I'm looking at an all stock, (still has the emissions on the exhaust manifolds) 73 Z...

MSD Ignitions out of El Paso makes their 'Hemi 6' controller for the late model Hemis, it's a plug and play controller for the ignition coils since the new Hemis don't have a distributor. You plug it into the coils and the cam sensor, hook up a 'battery' wire, an 'ignition' wire and a 'ground' wire and you're good to go. It's programmable but I just left mine with the factory ignition curve in place. I sold the factory computer and wiring harness to some guy on Ebay for $150!

44 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

MSD Ignitions out of El Paso makes their 'Hemi 6' controller for the late model Hemis, it's a plug and play controller for the ignition coils since the new Hemis don't have a distributor. You plug it into the coils and the cam sensor, hook up a 'battery' wire, an 'ignition' wire and a 'ground' wire and you're good to go. It's programmable but I just left mine with the factory ignition curve in place. I sold the factory computer and wiring harness to some guy on Ebay for $150!

I knew about the ignition, so does the carb send info on mixture to the computer, or do they bypass fuel management?

11 minutes ago, billymagg said:

I knew about the ignition, so does the carb send info on mixture to the computer, or do they bypass fuel management?

The only computer is the Hemi 6 and all it does is control the firing of the spark plugs, it is stand alone, no link to the fuel system. The new Hemi doesn't have a provision for a fuel pump so there's an electric fuel pump back by the fuel tank but all fuel management is in the carb. It's simple old school schit!

1 hour ago, 392heminut said:

The only computer is the Hemi 6 and all it does is control the firing of the spark plugs, it is stand alone, no link to the fuel system. The new Hemi doesn't have a provision for a fuel pump so there's an electric fuel pump back by the fuel tank but all fuel management is in the carb. It's simple old school schit!

simple and elegant, so, I've got to ask what this did to your fuel economy, I mean with Camaro's, Vettes, Mustangs, and Challenger's in the high 20's??

25 minutes ago, billymagg said:

So we've probably driven the LR-308 lower build tool so far into the weeds that it can't be found?? sorry gents, back on topic...

Aaaaannnnnddd THIS is what we're famous for! Blowing a topic completely off the rails!!!!!

Happens all the time her brother!:lmao:

1 hour ago, Radioactive said:

Blasphemy! :banhim:

cars, motors, bikes, boats, dogs, chicks are all cool though. :thumbup:

As Mr. 44 Magnum, "Elmer Keith",  errr I mean "Dirty Harry" once said, "a man's got to know his limitations!" Not everybody ought to be a pilot.

I owned two really nice Suzuki GSXR-1000 Sport Bikes, while I ran the piss out of the first one, I was no where near its limits. It was even better with a new set of Pilot Power IIs, in doing so, I pushed its limits way up, and my confidence went way up as they were soft and grippy, inspiring my desire to "push my limits".

When I was younger, I took a non-functioning revolver of a friend home, disassembled it, lubed it, made some minor adjustments, and returned a working firearm to him. I broke a spring in my Colt New Frontier, ordered the parts from Colt and replaced the spring...

I would love to build a rifle, but as the OP has illustrated there are some very real challenges, but I did tear the stabilator and rudder off Dan's Cardinal as we prepared it for a strip and paint. After Dan finished stripping, priming, and painting his airplane, we reassembled it under the supervision of an AI that I used to work for... it was a lot of work, and the stabilator ended up  with some "slop" in it when you grabbed the tips and lightly applied pressure back and forth... so we did some research, and replaced the nut on the sloppy side with a new stamped steel locking nut, slop gone, and yes I have flown it quite a bit after our little project.

9 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

And now you know (and have told all of us) that preflights really do have a reason! 😁

Absolutely, the stabilator is attached to the aircraft with only 2 bolts, which are the pivot points, and yes the bushings do tend to get a little sloppy. Dan's Cardinal is a 1968, with around 2400 hrs total time, so low airframe time is good, but 50 years takes its toll none the less... Dan's bird is looking great, has a fairly low time overhaul.. so I'm not afraid to take stuff apart and reassemble it correctly.... but there are things on that bird that I would not touch, lol.

His airplane is doing better than I am, it will probably outlast us both, LOL! I am staying on Wilson Combat, but I have no idea when they will stock their WC-10 matched upper and lower set??

On 9/9/2020 at 10:11 AM, billymagg said:

and we had no idea that the two dudes on planet earth that hate fuel injection live right here on 308AR.COM, and in Arizona!

Oh, make no mistake, brother - I've been ass-deep into EFI for 30 years, fucking with the EFI on my '89 RX-7 started it - slot the crank position sensor mounting hole by 1/4" and slide it over that 1/4" to advance the timing by 4 degrees...  The '79 carbed RX-7 was alot easier to mess with, back then.  Forced to learn, or fall behind...    I got deep in it with the EFI on the '93 Jeep YJ.  Tuning it, tweaking it, re-writing tunes on ECMs for it.  It's fun to hack a factory computer, on a modified EFI engine, and tweak that thing for peak volumetric efficiency, by RPM and throttle position, all the way to redline and beyond. It was just WAY easier when we were checking the color of stainless headers, and doing plug-chops...  :laffs:   Tuning things for turbos, twin turbos - that were never injected in the first place (or never had turbos in the first place) - and going back to old-school, and twin turbo-ing a rig to run through a carb...   Many will say that's impossible, but it's not impossible.  Done been done.  Twin turbo through a carb.  With nitrous. 

I might like guns, and fuk with them alot, but I'm a motorhead at heart.  I fuk with guns as a break, because I fuk with engines as a retired-living.  It funds my gun habit. 

Edited by 98Z5V

23 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Oh, make no mistake, brother - I've been ass-deep into EFI for 30 years, fucking with the EFI on my '89 RX-7 started it - slot the crank position sensor mounting hole by 1/4" and slide it over that 1/4" to advance the timing by 4 degrees...  The '79 carbed RX-7 was alot easier to mess with, back then.  Forced to learn, or fall behind...    I got deep in it with the EFI on the '93 Jeep YJ.  Tuning it, tweaking it, re-writing tunes on ECMs for it.  It's fun to hack a factory computer, on a modified EFI engine, and tweak that thing for peak volumetric efficiency, by RPM and throttle position, all the way to redline and beyond. It was just WAY easier when we were checking the color of stainless headers, and doing plug-chops...  :laffs:   Tuning things for turbos, twin turbos - that were never injected in the first place (or never had turbos in the first place) - and going back to old-school, and twin turbo-ing a rig to run through a carb...   Many will say that's impossible, but it's not impossible.  Done been done.  Twin turbo through a carb.  With nitrous. 

I might like guns, and fuk with them alot, but I'm a motorhead at heart.  I fuk with guns as a break, because I fuk with engines as a retired-living.  It funds my gun habit. 

I hear ya, my problem is that I'm Adult ADHD,,, I love it all, and can't really afford any of it. If I could remember a 1/10 of the useless krap information I used to know, I'd be doing awesome. There's an amazing looking Norton Commando in Ohio with a JPS paint, and I'd love to have a Norton, but then I think about that big Suzuki 4 cylinder, that rev's to the moon, and sounds like a late 60's Indy car, that sound that just drives you insane.... one Saturday the Chief of Police was in Tennessee on vacation, I pulled the E-47 off that 01 Gixxer thousand. When I fired it up, my wife damn near peed her pant's, I ripped it through town for a couple of passes, most beautiful thing I've ever heard, mean and "BARKY"! Then there's this strange obsession with the XT500 Yammy with that gorgeous aluminum tank....  but then I come back to those gorgeous early second gen camaro's.....  so I'm just painting the damn house right now. Pressure washing and scraping and painting and painting and scraping and painting....

Anyway, some sweet chick from Wilson Combat that doesn't know jack, answered my email asking when the WC-10 uppers and lowers might be back in stock,,,, no clue, they've got a supply laid back for their own production, and they are still building WC-10's, but at 3 grand plus,,, eh, that's a lot of money

1 hour ago, billymagg said:

Anyway, some sweet chick from Wilson Combat that doesn't know jack, answered my email asking when the WC-10 uppers and lowers might be back in stock,,,, no clue, they've got a supply laid back for their own production, and they are still building WC-10's, but at 3 grand plus,,, eh, that's a lot of money

I'm not trying to instigate or anything - I'd never do that. 

But you can have a complete LaRue rifle for way, way less than that.  I'm just sayin'... 

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

But you can have a complete LaRue rifle for way, way less than that.  I'm just sayin'... 

Yes Sir, and I'm sure you'd never instigate anything, just saying. 5 ASC FDE 5 round magazines did surprise me yesterday arriving much sooner than I expected by the US  Postal Service, ooo rah!

On 9/12/2020 at 1:24 AM, 98Z5V said:

I'm not seeing any LaRue rifles for sale much less than that, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?? LaRues list prices seem to be right there with the Wilson?

On 9/19/2020 at 1:07 PM, billymagg said:

I'm not seeing any LaRue rifles for sale much less than that, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?? LaRues list prices seem to be right there with the Wilson?

Go through the process for "selecting the parts" for one of the LaRue Ultimate Upper Kits, and see what number you come up with.  For small-frame ARs, it's gonna be $792.  That "Ultimate Upper Kit" is absolutely everything you need for a whole gun, minus a lower receiver.  So, then, you add a small-frame lower receiver for $199. 

You just made a whole LaRue gun for $991...

Large-frames are a little more, for example, the lower is $299, and the upper is a little more than the smaller stuff - and it's still worlds cheaper than any Wilson Combat full gun.  

On 9/20/2020 at 9:38 PM, 98Z5V said:

Go through the process for "selecting the parts" for one of the LaRue Ultimate Upper Kits, and see what number you come up with.  For small-frame ARs, it's gonna be $792.  That "Ultimate Upper Kit" is absolutely everything you need for a whole gun, minus a lower receiver.  So, then, you add a small-frame lower receiver for $199. 

You just made a whole LaRue gun for $991...

Large-frames are a little more, for example, the lower is $299, and the upper is a little more than the smaller stuff - and it's still worlds cheaper than any Wilson Combat full gun.  

A beautiful rifle, for sure its a budget build for an amazing rifle... but I'm currently been the high bidder for a small frame Wilson Billet set, so we will see what happens, also a really nice Smith and Wesson pre-27 with gold box and papers, and there's a gorgeous Combat Commander as well... lol...

So I would much prefer to build/buy another large frame 308, so I'm looking at the 300 HAMR, or maybe a 6.8?? but, I don't reload, so those could be pricey in the long run...

The corn is almost out, and my range is back opened up, so I fired a few rounds out of my Rock River, which was already pretty filthy, so I gave it a quick strip and clean this morning, its amazing what a month and a half will do to your shooting, but I'm trying to get this stoopid house painted before the snow flies.

9 hours ago, billymagg said:

So I would much prefer to build/buy another large frame 308, so I'm looking at the 300 HAMR, or maybe a 6.8??

Are you saying you want another large-frame, and you're looking at those two as possibilities for that?  I ask because they're both small-frame ARs. 

10 hours ago, billymagg said:

I'm currently the high bidder for a small frame Wilson Billet set, so we will see what happens, 

So I would much prefer to build/buy another large frame 308, so I'm looking at the 300 HAMR, or maybe a 6.8?? but, I don't reload, so those could be pricey in the long run...

If I win that auction I will be building a small frame AR.  I can find lots of 5.56 parts, but I'm tempted to build a 6.8 or even a 300 HAMR. although those will be pricey  the large frame Wilson matched upper and lower is currently out of stock for at least the last six months+. So I'm considering an in betweener, as opposed to 5.56.in the meantime.

22 minutes ago, billymagg said:

So I'm considering an in betweener, as opposed to 5.56.in the meantime.

6.5 Grendel.  It won't disappoint you. 

6.8 SPC might disappoint you, depending on your your plans for it are - it's not a long-distance cartridge, at all. Neither is the 300 HAMR.  Grendel can do it all - Hunt, distance, ft/lbs of energy on target...   It's the perfect small-frame AR cartridge.   Close runner up (IMHO) is 6 ARC.  Good luck finding parts and ammo right now, though, it's too new, released/announced on 3 June 2020. 

6.5 Grendel = Hunting cartridge that can do distance.  6 ARC = Distance cartridge that can do hunting.  I have a 12.5" barreled Grendel gun that can repeatedly smack steel at 850 yards with 10.6 mils of drop dialed in.   :thumbup:

I'm still working on the 6 ARC, and the handloads for it.  18" Grendel is 8.5 mils of drop at 850 yards, handloads, Hornady 123 ELD-M projectiles.  The 18" 6 ARC is 7.1 mils of drop at 850 yards,  Hornady Match 108gr ELD-M loaded ammo.  

Edited by 98Z5V