• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR-308 Lower Build Tool?

SwampGunnr

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

6.5 Grendel.  It won't disappoint you. 

6.8 SPC might disappoint you, depending on your your plans for it are - it's not a long-distance cartridge, at all. Neither is the 300 HAMR.  Grendel can do it all - Hunt, distance, ft/lbs of energy on target...   It's the perfect small-frame AR cartridge.   Close runner up (IMHO) is 6 ARC.  Good luck finding parts and ammo right now, though, it's too new, released/announced on 3 June 2020. 

6.5 Grendel = Hunting cartridge that can do distance.  6 ARC = Distance cartridge that can do hunting.  I have a 12.5" barreled Grendel gun that can repeatedly smack steel at 850 yards with 10.6 mils of drop dialed in.   :thumbup:

I'm still working on the 6 ARC, and the handloads for it.  18" Grendel is 8.5 mils of drop at 850 yards, handloads, Hornady 123 ELD-M projectiles.  The 18" 6 ARC is 7.1 mils of drop at 850 yards,  Hornady Match 108gr ELD-M loaded ammo.  

Yes parts are a problem, why if I do win it, it may be a 5.56, I'm not very patient...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/22/2020 at 10:29 PM, billymagg said:

If I win that auction I will be building a small frame AR.  I can find lots of 5.56 parts, but I'm tempted to build a 6.8 or even a 300 HAMR. although those will be pricey  the large frame Wilson matched upper and lower is currently out of stock for at least the last six months+. So I'm considering an in betweener, as opposed to 5.56.in the meantime.

Well I've been outbid on the Wilson Small Frame AR's, but the large frame WC-10 billet uppers and NOW available on Wilson Combat, prices have gone up, and Armor Tuff is extra..... so I'm considering a 6.5 Creedmore upper to go on my present Wilson lower,,, but they do NOT have the intermediate gas tube,,,, ggrrrrr, anyway, 98, they do have a 16" Paul Howe barrel in stock, but its not cheap... what is the difference in the Paul Howe barrel Bub?

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

The Paul Howe barrel is fluted. Brownells had the right gas tube last week. Light weight. Pics of my Paul Howe barrel w/factory ammo@ 86 yds

IMG_20200919_182948.jpg

IMG_20200919_182718.jpg

Wow!, very nice, do you have picture of the rifle? I'm at about 750 bucks, without BCG, gas block, gas tube, and charging handle... I'm mulling building a top end to swap out on my current rifle, and the 6.5 does offer a lot of ammo choices... just in the thinking stage so far..

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

Yep but the scope only is a 1 in tube. Think I need a 20moa mount or low riser w/20moa. I'll put a better scope on it someday but I'm saving my money for this trip.

We'll talk about all that out here - it's actually covered during all the Long Range classes.  You'll get to shoot ALOT of shiit during the trip, so don't do anything with your optic before you come out - hit the shoot, hit the info - shoot the guns...  decisions come after that, brother.   :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2020 at 10:51 PM, 98Z5V said:

6.5 Grendel.  It won't disappoint you. 

6.8 SPC might disappoint you, depending on your your plans for it are - it's not a long-distance cartridge, at all. Neither is the 300 HAMR.  Grendel can do it all - Hunt, distance, ft/lbs of energy on target...   It's the perfect small-frame AR cartridge.   Close runner up (IMHO) is 6 ARC.  Good luck finding parts and ammo right now, though, it's too new, released/announced on 3 June 2020. 

6.5 Grendel = Hunting cartridge that can do distance.  6 ARC = Distance cartridge that can do hunting.  I have a 12.5" barreled Grendel gun that can repeatedly smack steel at 850 yards with 10.6 mils of drop dialed in.   :thumbup:

I'm still working on the 6 ARC, and the handloads for it.  18" Grendel is 8.5 mils of drop at 850 yards, handloads, Hornady 123 ELD-M projectiles.  The 18" 6 ARC is 7.1 mils of drop at 850 yards,  Hornady Match 108gr ELD-M loaded ammo.  

I'm currently bidding on another small frame Wilson billet matched upper and lower, I'm up to 565.00, which I doubt that will win it. In the meantime, there is a drop dead gorgeous small frame Willson Billet 300 HamR on Gunbroker for under 2 grand, its a lot, but its 30 cal. So after giving the 6.5 Grendel very serious consideration, I realize that most of my coyote shots are gonna be 100 to 400 yards at the most, so that 300 HamR will do everything I need it to do.. if not, I'll break out that 308 or 30-06..

Anyway, I'm still seriously dithering until after the election, if Bite Me wins, that priks ter in Central Obamastan will be busy f ing up gun owners of black rifles in particular, I'm seriously thinking of selling a little tillable ground and getting the hell of of Obamastan...

Sadly there are too damn many Bite Me/ Scare Us signs here in Tucson, what the hell is wrong with these dumb basetts?? I thought Arizona was God's country???

On 9/24/2020 at 3:45 PM, billymagg said:

Wow!, very nice, do you have picture of the rifle? I'm at about 750 bucks, without BCG, gas block, gas tube, and charging handle... I'm mulling building a top end to swap out on my current rifle, and the 6.5 does offer a lot of ammo choices... just in the thinking stage so far..

Wow! i like it!

5 hours ago, billymagg said:

I'm currently bidding on another small frame Wilson billet matched upper and lower, I'm up to 565.00, which I doubt that will win it. In the meantime, there is a drop dead gorgeous small frame Willson Billet 300 HamR on Gunbroker for under 2 grand, its a lot, but its 30 cal. So after giving the 6.5 Grendel very serious consideration, I realize that most of my coyote shots are gonna be 100 to 400 yards at the most, so that 300 HamR will do everything I need it to do.. if not, I'll break out that 308 or 30-06..

Anyway, I'm still seriously dithering until after the election, if Bite Me wins, that priks ter in Central Obamastan will be busy f ing up gun owners of black rifles in particular, I'm seriously thinking of selling a little tillable ground and getting the hell of of Obamastan...

Sadly there are too damn many Bite Me/ Scare Us signs here in Tucson, what the hell is wrong with these dumb basetts?? I thought Arizona was God's country???

california moving in

1 minute ago, sagebrush said:

california moving in

Affirmative! that liberal shite can ruin any 50 zip codes! or 50 thousand, I'm ready to start deporting liberals to mainland China where they could actually receive a "real education" and allow them to apply for asylum back to the US in 5 years! dumb axxes!

23 hours ago, sagebrush said:

california moving in

The idiots don’t even realize that they flee Ca and head to Red states for a “better living”. Our state could be better too if they would take a look at why they like it in the Red states and start making Ca behave the same way!  Lose the BS Dems and make Ca great...don’t leave to a place that looks better to you and drag all of your garbage with you.  If you do, you’ll one day be leaving it behind as your politics will have destroyed it too. 

1 hour ago, DNP said:

The idiots don’t even realize that they flee Ca and head to Red states for a “better living”. Our state could be better too if they would take a look at why they like it in the Red states and start making Ca behave the same way!  Lose the BS Dems and make Ca great...don’t leave to a place that looks better to you and drag all of your garbage with you.  If you do, you’ll one day be leaving it behind as your politics will have destroyed it too. 

that is what happened to oregon, california has been moving here for decades. the ones that move to eastern oregon really stand out

• 1 year later...
On 11/1/2020 at 7:52 PM, DNP said:

Sorry for necro post but this hit me where it hurts. SOooo many wealthy mother truckers from Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York converted their stupidly expensive “summer homes” into permanent residences here in Maine since 2019. Now we have to fight CRT on the School Boards and listen to “affordable housing” pitches. Kennebunkport just sold a subsidized “affordable” house for $220,000 and that doesn’t include the land it sits on.  Affordable used to be a 1 acre lot with a double wide.  GD year roun’ summah people are going to ruin this state.