• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR-308 Lower Build Tool?

SwampGunnr

I am trying to build a LR308, can't for the life of me get the pivot pin installed. I've done 20-30 AR15 lowers, and have the tool from Brownells, but the diameter is too small and I can't get the pivot pin to follow it into place before the detent pops up. How are you guys doing this? It's driving me batsh*t crazy!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First , get a somewhat large cardboard box to sit in front of or to the side as you are going to attempt any install of this Detent , to capture if it tries to go to the Moon & back . I use a Jewelers small flat blade screw driver & hold the Detent down while inserting the Pin , The small screw driver can be inserted through the opposite Pin hole & when inserting the Pin , the Pin will push it out of the way . Doesn't matter it the Detent is aligned with its Grove in the Pin , all you do is rotate the Pin to align it , after its captured by the Pin .

Edited by survivalshop

On 3/26/2017 at 6:10 AM, survivalshop said:

First , get a somewhat large cardboard box to sit in front of or to the side...

Or, do the job with a 1 gallon Zip-Lock over everything.  You can still see, still get your hands in there, and it the little bastard flies, it's only going into the bag.

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Or, do the job with a 1 gallon Zip-Lock over everything.  You can still see, still get your hands in there, and it the little bastard flies, it's only going into the bag.

Them bastiges like to hide , I remember looking for one for hours , then one day, weeks or months later I came across it looking for something else that few away .:laffs:

On 3/26/2017 at 9:10 AM, survivalshop said:

First , get a somewhat large cardboard box to sit in front of or to the side as you are going to attempt any install of this Detent , to capture if it tries to go to the Moon & back . I use a Jewelers small flat blade screw driver & hold the Detent down while inserting the Pin , The small screw driver can be inserted through the opposite Pin hole & when inserting the Pin , the Pin will push it out of the way . Doesn't matter it the Detent is aligned with its Grove in the Pin , all you do is rotate the Pin to align it , after its captured by the Pin .

I'll try that. Thanks.

• 3 years later...

I'm working on my first build and I really don't think you need a special tool to install the pivot pin.   What I did was use a normal punch to compress the detent and spring, then used a roll pin starter punch across the pivot hinge, got the best mate between the pivot pin and the starter punch and then just worked them back through the hinge, making sure that the pivot pin was in tension with the side opposite of the detent when the transition between punch and pin occurred. 

Learned a lesson last week, don’t peek in the bag when using it to cover the detent install. Detent hung up in the hole so I pulled the bag open just enough to see the detent, of course it came unstuck that instant,  now I have two little chips in my glasses, dead center of the lens. Thank the lord I was wearing glasses and luckily the no scratch warranty is replacing the lenses. So don’t peek into the bag!

My last one was lucky. I’ve launched those little bastards all over. I even bought a pack of them so I’m not screwed next time I lose one. Last one went in with no tools. Used the takedown pin to compress the detent into the hole and she popped right through. 

Edited by DNP

11 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

That's EXACTLY what I meant.

I've never been able track down the asshead that sent me an anonymous bag of 10 gas tube roll pins.  But I used them. I've also never tracked down the other asshead that anonymously sent me 6 MagPul aluminum trigger guards.

I think it's the same person, and his name starts with @imschur...

55 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I've never been able track down the asshead that sent me an anonymous bag of 10 gas tube roll pins.  But I used them. I've also never tracked down the other asshead that anonymously sent me 6 MagPul aluminum trigger guards.

imschur? Who the hell is that? None of us have EVER heard of him. :lmao:
The bastard.........

On 7/14/2020 at 12:19 AM, 98Z5V said:

https://www.amazon.com/1500pcs-Split-Spring-Stainless-Fasteners/dp/B01IACE6UE

Bill

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2020 at 7:51 AM, DNP said:

My last one was lucky. I’ve launched those little bastards all over. I even bought a pack of them so I’m not screwed next time I lose one. Last one went in with no tools. Used the takedown pin to compress the detent into the hole and she popped right through. 

Those are known as 'Ah Schit' parts and are closely related to 'Jesus clips' which are those little bitty hairpin clips used on the litle linkage rods on carburetors. I know, some of you don't even know what the fukk a carburetor is, and I don't want to hear it!:lmao: