• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Modifications for beginners.

Good evening,

I am new to the semi-automatic rifle platform and looking for pointers. After about a year of online research, I settled on the DPMS G2 SASS .308/7.62. I've had the opportunity to put 20 rounds through it at the range. I appreciate the feel of it and would like to make the right modifications to make it efficient & increase it's accuracy. After digging through multiple forums and sites I have become more confused about what modifications can actually do that. So my question, is there a forum or thread designed for beginners that gives a starting point or suggestions on where to start making modifications?

Thank you for any links or advice,

2 minutes ago, SRanger said:

Good evening,

I am new to the semi-automatic rifle platform and looking for pointers. After about a year of online research, I settled on the DPMS G2 SASS .308/7.62. I've had the opportunity to put 20 rounds through it at the range. I appreciate the feel of it and would like to make the right modifications to make it efficient & increase it's accuracy. After digging through multiple forums and sites I have become more confused about what modifications can actually do that. So my question, is there a forum or thread designed for beginners that gives a starting point or suggestions on where to start making modifications?

Thank you for any links or advice,

#1. Welcome to the forums!

#2. Nice choice of rifle!

#3. Please, be more specific about what kind of accuracy you're achieving, and how much accuracy you're wanting to get.

#4. Also be more specific with regard to how you want to make your rifle more efficient.

You have a very accurate format to start with. Like a fixer home, you have good bones to work with. You shouldn't have to change much to sqeeze a little more out of it.

1. A trigger ALWAYS helps. There are several flavors to choose from, and everyone has different tastes. You can't go wrong with Geissele, Jard, Timney, CMC... But there are plenty of others as well.
  2. Ditch the muzzle device and get a decent brake. You won't make many new friends at the range, but it'll take some of the bit out of the recoil, which may eliminate any unseen flinching.
  3. Update your recoil assembly (buffer, and buffer spring). You can go heavy with an upgraded spring, or go with a JP SCS. Either will make the rifle shoot a lot softer.

That' about all I can think of for an SASS. It's one of their better off the shelf rifles. I'd be more concerned with shedding weight than trying to squeeze a marginal amount of accuracy out of it.... But if weight was an issue, you wouldn't have bought the SASS.

3 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

#1. Welcome to the forums!

#2. Nice choice of rifle!

#3. Please, be more specific about what kind of accuracy you're achieving, and how much accuracy you're wanting to get.

#4. Also be more specific with regard to how you want to make your rifle more efficient.

Thank you & Thank you.

In regards to accuracy, I currently do not have an optics system setup, just iron sights. Would it be practical to have a scope for long shots and a optics for close shots? What modifications are available to manage recoil? What attachments are practical for tactical functions? 

4 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

You have a very accurate format to start with. Like a fixer home, you have good bones to work with. You shouldn't have to change much to sqeeze a little more out of it.

1. A trigger ALWAYS helps. There are several flavors to choose from, and everyone has different tastes. You can't go wrong with Geissele, Jard, Timney, CMC... But there are plenty of others as well.
  2. Ditch the muzzle device and get a decent brake. You won't make many new friends at the range, but it'll take some of the bit out of the recoil, which may eliminate any unseen flinching.
  3. Update your recoil assembly (buffer, and buffer spring). You can go heavy with an upgraded spring, or go with a JP SCS. Either will make the rifle shoot a lot softer.

That' about all I can think of for an SASS. It's one of their better off the shelf rifles. I'd be more concerned with shedding weight than trying to squeeze a marginal amount of accuracy out of it.... But if weight was an issue, you wouldn't have bought the SASS.

Why would the trigger need to be replaced??

9 minutes ago, SRanger said:

Why would the trigger need to be replaced??

Outside of getting your fundamentals correct, the combination of a good barrel and an excellent trigger will be the two primary accuracy factors, as far as mechanics are concerned. Your accuracy will never exceed your ability to break the shot when your sight picture is coincident with your intended Point of Impact. That's where a great trigger makes all the difference.

First its a DPMS G 2 & this new platform from DPMS has very little in the way of after market components available for it , its a down sized LR 308AR . From what we have been reading , it's a good shooter as is , be as has been said , stock triggers ( Fire Control Group ) on just about every AR rifle you purchase from the factory has a Lawyer built into it .Most are horrible for any kind of precision work , the FCG replacements mentioned will make for a more precise control with out the Creep, grittiness of most stock FCG's . You may like the Factory FCG , but a FCG upgrade can do wonders for group size for most shooters .

Get used to the Rifle for a while & Optics will make for a more precision shooter also . Most Scope Mounts are not all that good for using the Iron type sights on your rifle & have the scope mounted at the same time , unless you use a Red Dot sight or something similar to be able to sight through it with the Iron sights.

You only have twenty rounds through the Rifle , run some more Ammo through her , try some match 168gr. ammo & see how that works , these big bores seem to all run well with that weight of bullet .

As far as a Thread or something for beginners , this Forum is full of them & you just started another one . There are some Threads on the DPMS G2 around here somewhere .:thumbup:

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You'll need to define your meaning of "tactical functions" a little more. Please be specific.

After looking around on the web at the pictures of tactical style rifles, I guess what I'm looking for is suggestions on lights, optics, handles/grips, slings, etc... Speaking of, what is a practical accessory to attach to the rail on the butt stock?? I would like to have a versatile rifle that can be used for long range, large game hunt shooting, and close range, self defense shooting.

5 minutes ago, SRanger said:

I would like to have a versatile rifle that can be used for long range, large game hunt shooting, and close range, self defense shooting.

If that's the case, you need another rifle. Long range effectiveness and CQB don't really mix and match.

Long range accuracy needs rigidity, which equates to weight, and weight is not your friend in a CQB rifle until it's empty and you have to club someone with it.

1 minute ago, Matt.Cross said:

If that's the case, you need another rifle. Long range effectiveness and CQB don't really mix and match.

Long range accuracy needs rigidity, which equates to weight, and weight is not your friend in a CQB rifle until it's empty and you have to club someone with it.

Hahaha, Understood. Thank you.

configurations-sass@2x.png

Is that ^^ your rifle?

If so, you've got a pretty good setup for long(ish) distance out of the box.

But I wouldn't want that rifle for home defense/"CQB" purposes. Long, heavy, unwieldy. The PRS buttstock is great for precision shooting -- especially from a bench -- but, again, it's heavy. The pistol grip? Same story.

Never fear, though, that rifle can be made into whatever you want, and 308AR.com is chock full of guys who are experts at spending other people's money.

SRanger     dadgummitt...I couldn't get what I wanted to post to stick...yep you need more rifles is the correct answer     Oh crap...its in my post but I cant see it  WTF?    No dis respect intended just a lil fun....but I guess the jokes on me Ha  :laffs:   Wash

Edited by washguy

Everytime I watch that video I laugh just as hard. :laffs: As the first time I saw it.

SRanger, that is a fine rifle just the way it is. If you want to ad something like a good optic, or red dot, I suggest reading the many threads under "Optics" That will give you a pretty substantial common sense knowledge base.  Rifles, like cars and women, are compromises and trade offs. A rifle built for 1000 yard shots isn't going to be handy in CQB. Unless you are going to spend all your time shooting past 400 yards, I would suggest a 1-6 or 1-8 power scope with a lighted reticle. On 1 power it can double as a red dot type for fast target acquisition, yet still give you effective magnification for distance. Everything else you put on it is bells and whistles,mwhich may be useful, and fun, but won't really be necessary. The most important thing to do is to buy ammo enough that you can shoot your rifle until it is second nature to you.