• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA10 Nitrated 18", NB BCG, Gen 2 observations...

2 hours ago, bfoosh006 said:

PSA sells the 6.5CM upper with a small FP and hole ... it is on the webpage and was confirmed by PSA on another forum.
The PSA webpage says.... on the very bottom of the description ...

Includes: High pressure/ small diameter firing pin bolt

I will post photos of the differences later, the firing pin is different shaped, towards the tip..... as well as other info.

That said... I believe I will try the .308 bolt.

I have seen the difference , as you said , it should have came with one .

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My PA10 GenII works with ( in order of most consistent function as well as drop free ) Magpul 25rd, 20rd, and 10rd mags... and D&H 20rd and 10rd ( a tie between those 2 ) ,

Lancer 20rd and 10rd.. the .308 bolt kinda drags at times in the .308 uppers, but not as "bad" in the 6.5CM PSA upper  ?!

The IMI 20rd works well.

The C-Products and Brownells ... while feed ok... are less reliable. And the Brownells spread the feed lips so bad, that when loaded with 20rds...  insertion is frustrating ( as in slap the hell out of the base ) and drop free is never going to happen.

I got a question about ballistics.  I've looked And looke at ballistics tables.  In using hornady black 168gr a max.  And on the box it says a 1 inch drop at 200yds. In a few calculators it says around a 4 inch drop.  I'm using a ar308 bushnell optics scope with a bdc reticle that is made for 168gr bullets.  And it shows different bullet drop then both of them.  

Edited by Jsnake711

2 hours ago, Jsnake711 said:

I got a question about ballistics.  I've looked And looke at ballistics tables.  In using hornady black 168gr a max.  And on the box it says a 1 inch drop at 200yds. In a few calculators it says around a 4 inch drop.  I'm using a ar308 bushnell optics scope with a bdc reticle that is made for 168gr bullets.  And it shows different bullet drop then both of them.  

2 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Probably get a quicker response if you post your question in the Ammo forum. If you have the muzzle velocity for that round I can tell you what the tables in my Sierra reloading manual show for bullet drop.

100% 

23 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Probably get a quicker response if you post your question in the Ammo forum. If you have the muzzle velocity for that round I can tell you what the tables in my Sierra reloading manual show for bullet drop.

Would it be different in a bolt gun? because I see 2526fps on that round from a18"barrel. 

The action type should have very little if any difference on the ballistics. My Sierra tables show a 12.36" drop at 200 yds. for a 165 grn, hollowpoint boattail and 12.01" drop at 200 yds. for a spitzer boattail, both at 2500 f.p.s. 2600 f.p.s. is about an inch less drop for both bullets. This is actual drop from the muzzle, what you are probably looking at is the drop at 200 yds. for a 100 yd. zero. The 4" drop at 200 yds. is about right for a 100 yd. zero with that bullet at the velocity you stated.

Edited by 392heminut

• 3 weeks later...

Truing / Lapping the receiver face.

I want to show how little material is removed.

This first photo is from the internet... It was trued with a lathe, and he used a dye to monitor the progress... you can image how little thickness a dye would add.

You can image how going deeper with the cut , by just a few thousands will alter the receiver face. Allowing it to be truer.

TRUE_RECEIVER_16051833_std.jpg

Edited by bfoosh006

When you have completed the Lapping / Trueing it will look like this... ther is nothing to be gained by going deeper with the lapping. ( My completed receiver face, is the first photo )

The next photo is mine as well.. it is hard to see, but you can just make out the beginning of it at about the 8 o'clock position. With no lapping at the opposite side.

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Soooo.... I bought another complete PA10 lower.... is has a longer carbine buffer tube, a regular AR15 length buffer, and a longer buffer spring then my first PA10 lower. I haven't measured them yet... but is sure looks like a Armalite .308 length buffer system.

So... prior to any purchasing of buffer parts, I strongly suggest you post photos of what actually came with your rifle.

The "new" longer length buffer tube is marked "PA10" with the PSA "Logo" as well ... the buffer is AR15 length ( no markings ) as hand compared to a spare AR15 carbine buffer I have laying around.

Here are some side by side photos for comparison...the "New" sized buffer system is on the left.

The older "DPMS" style buffer systems is on the right.

I am now wondering how many times the different ones have been used... and how many times it may have caused mayhem and confusion.... even through this thread.

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

• 2 months later...

@bfoosh006 and all others that added to this thread.

Just read this font to back. Awesome right up and great info.  My father just put together a PA10 gen 2. His is already up and running, am working mine right now. I will use this thread for all its great tips and tricks. Thank you for all the time and Brass you spent making this very useful thread!   I will test my gun in its stock forum, but that ajd gas block is on my to do list. :thumbup: 

I will also add a thread to the PSA sub forum when we have more data on both guns. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Jsnake711 said:

Bfoosh, Where did you pick up your barrel?

Which one ? The PSA 20" HBAR from here... https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-rifle-length-308-win-1-10-stainless-steel-barrel-516446237.html

The 18" Nitrated SS Hybrid Criterion from MSR Arms... via here... at the bottom of the link..http://criterionbarrels.com/barrels/.308_AR/ar-10-hybrid
I kind of wish I had bought a 20" or 22" Nitrated SS Hybrid... just for the added velocity, but the 18" is a very nimble package.

Edited by bfoosh006

Well, I got some good groups from the psa ss barrel using varget, and SST 165gr bullets.  Before i was using hornady sp 165gr, and imr4064. And was getting 1.5" groups. I must say I'm still thinking about a criterion barrel lol!

Here's the 4064, 42.5gr 

And then the varget 44gr... big difference. 

20180707_181107.jpg

20180705_163655.jpg