• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA10 Nitrated 18", NB BCG, Gen 2 observations...

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3rd Target...

1st photo, 10rds South African Ball , the stuff from those tubs.

2nd photo, 19 of 20 shown, Current CBC / Magtech Ball.. kind of all over the place photo missing the one off target on top

3rd photo, 9rds PMC XTAC 168gr Match

4th photo, 15rds ? , Hornady Steel Match 155gr OTM... I have gotten great results with this and the .75gr .223 load.. so steel cased ammo can shot.

5th photo, 20rds '76 Hirt. Berdan Primed.

6th photo, 10rds, Aust. Outback 165gr SGK, soft point.

7th photo , 20rds, Sanitized DAG

8th photo, Eagle Eye 175gr.... only 5 shoots... the barrel and this did not play nicely together... almost pierced primers and obvious signs of pressure. More photos later.

IMG_2526 (1).jpg

IMG_2527 (1).jpg

IMG_2528 (1).jpg

IMG_2530 (1).jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2532 (1).jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2535.jpg

4th Target...

1st photo, 20rds Port surplus Ball, also from way back when.

2nd photo, 14rds Hornady brass cased 155gr Match

3rd photo, 10rds Horn. TAP  ELD 168gr "AR"

4th photo, 10rds SSA 165gr Accubond.. this shot MUCH better ( through the Criterion ) then both the OEM barrels results .

5th photo, another spot check with 168gr FGMM

6th photo, 10rds Fed. MSR Fusion... IMHO excellent performance from and great bonded bullet.

7th photo, Fed. 130gr OTM.. labeled T762TNB1

8th photo, SSA 150gr Accubond ... much better  ! ... mislabeled as DAG

IMG_2536.jpg

IMG_2537.jpg

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

Edited by bfoosh006

5th Target... long day of shooting and I could tell I was getting tired.

Also a special note about the last group pictured... 7rds of 168Gr FGMM... this group was from a filthy barrel... and the Criterion barrel could still shoot as good as when it was clean.

1st photo, 10rds Black Hills 175gr TMK

2nd photo, 10rds Speer / CCI 150gr Gold Dot

3rd photo, some more cheap Malaysian berdan primed

4th photo, Speer / CCI 168gr Gold Dot

5th Photo, Sanitized DAG again.... still holding its accuracy , even from the dirty barrel.

6th photo, another FGMM group, rapid fire.

7th photo, Horn. TAP ELD 168gr Precision

8th photo, This, to me is outstanding performance from the Criterion barrel.... final group of the day... after a full 30cal can, and 1 quart ziplock bag worth of spent ammo cases.... The Criterion barrel still shot like it was sparkling clean. 7rds 168gr FGMM..( I stopped with 7 because I thought I'd fubar such a good group ! Lol )

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

The Eagle Eye 175gr SMK ammo issues....

Sadly, this ammo and barrel combo didn't like each other.

Clear signs of over-pressure... and pierced primers, ( I can blow air through each case ) the little primer indentation disc wasn't allowed to "pop out". ( You can't see it clearly in the photos )
I will attribute the fact that I didn't have popped primers and those little disc's to a very heavy buffer ( 9.3oz), the added spring weight with the BCG closed from the Tubbs spring and an adjustable gas block... those 3 parts "retarded" the typically violent/ rapid cyclic action of the OEM configuration by just enough milliseconds to allow BCG movement and extraction at a more moderate chamber pressure.

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

On 9/7/2017 at 0:21 AM, bfoosh006 said:

hillpitcher2006 ..... this link has some good input as well...

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/05/what-makes-an-ar-accurate-whitley-offers-answers/

"9. Gas Port Tuning: You want to avoid over-porting the gas port. Being over-gassed makes the gas system pressure up earlier and more aggressively. This causes more impulse, and increases forces and vibration affecting the top end and the barrel. Tune the gas port to give the amount of pressure needed to function properly and adequately but no more."

Thanks very much for this and the previous response on this topic!

A few questions:

1. You mentioned earlier on seeing that the firing pin retaining cotter spring was bent and you replaced it - ever figure out why that happened?

2. I've read elsewhere that the clamp style gas block is preferable to the set screw style, due to less (or more even) pressure being put on the barrel. Is this only a concern for a true precision rifle and not something to be considered with a "budget" AR?

3. Is it worth buying the gauges to test head space with any new AR? Or only if you're experiencing cycling issues?

4. You've done a lot of ammo testing on different days with different barrels. In your opinion at this point what's the best non-match grade ammo (ie relatively affordable) for this rifle (with stock barrel)?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, hillpitcher2006 said:

A few questions:

1. You mentioned earlier on seeing that the firing pin retaining cotter spring was bent and you replaced it - ever figure out why that happened?

2. I've read elsewhere that the clamp style gas block is preferable to the set screw style, due to less (or more even) pressure being put on the barrel. Is this only a concern for a true precision rifle and not something to be considered with a "budget" AR?

3. Is it worth buying the gauges to test head space with any new AR? Or only if you're experiencing cycling issues?

4. You've done a lot of ammo testing on different days with different barrels. In your opinion at this point what's the best non-match grade ammo (ie relatively affordable) for this rifle (with stock barrel)?

Thanks!

1. I think either the cotter key was soft, or the OEM violent cyclic action was messing with it... the new cotter key with the adjustable gas block is fine.

2. I have wonder about this myself... it of course makes sense... but as long as you do not torque the heck out the screws, ( another good reason why you should dimple the barrel, spreading out the force from the tipped screws... )  I would think you are fine.  I have seen way to many USGI barrels with their tapered FSB pin hammered in tighter then Heck ( also applying force to the barrel ) .. fire spectacular groups.

Maybe on the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel ( I am strongly considering ) I might use a clamp-on.

3. Always check headspace !!!
I would, at the VERY least, have a gunsmith check it... having to wait a few days for him to do it is far better then the huge volume of propellant gas blowing up in your face.

Also, since various brand parts don't have to follow a guideline.... you could easily have a headspace issue.

On another forum.... I just saw some Tula that had cracked just above the rim, from a bolt action, it had cracked enough that had the rifle been a MSR... it probably would have been a full on KaBoom... the crack was 1/2 the way around the case head... if a MSR .308 had excess headspace, it most certainly would have been a kaboom.

I realize we all want to go shoot it now... but, step back and seriously consider the possible consequences.... you wouldn't drive across the state with a questionable brake job on your car... so don't do it with something 8" from your face, eyes and such.

Cycling issues can be from all sorts of things... not just a headspace issue.

4. Generally speaking... the Fed. 168gr Gold Medal Match fired quite well from all the barrels.... so do consider the FGMM.

As for a less expensive round... the Sanitized DAG did very well from my barrels. YMMV.

I suggest you buy some of all the cheaper surplus and see which round your barrel likes.... that way you will know for sure it is GTG.

( Barrels are like every person you have ever dated... while similar, they are all slightly different .

• 3 weeks later...