• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My working man's 308.

confused

I wanted to build a high value / low cost 308.  I picked up a new DPMS Oracle for under $750.  I got a Nikon P-308 scope for under $200.  Put in an ALG trigger and a Surefire ProComp 762 Muzzle Brake on it.  Added a LimbSaver recoil pad and a high value bipod.  Just got back from an indoor 25yd range session.  The last two shoots were touching each other and just above the bullseye (Based in Nikon's Spot On, that puts me zeroed at 200yds with the Hornady 168 BTHP).  I couldn't be happier.  Next stop,  200yd outdoor range.

Xcellent !    Money well spent on the right stuff....nice to hear that everything worked....instead of...my bullet she stuck on top of my other bullet and when that bullet fell out the bottom of the mag thingy then that spring in the tube was making a twang noise so I wrapped duct tape around it and now its a single shot...Oh ive been lurking here for 3 years nice forum please help me fix my ar10        shooting banana emoticon       Wash

5 minutes ago, washguy said:

nice to hear that everything worked....instead of...my bullet she stuck on top of my other bullet and when that bullet fell out the bottom of the mag thingy then that spring in the tube was making a twang noise so I wrapped duct tape around it and now its a single shot...Oh ive been lurking here for 3 years nice forum please help me fix my ar10        shooting banana emoticon       Wash

He bought a factory DPMS gun, wash...

What you're describing is the PSA stuff, especially the early problems... before they decided to fix it, change machining, and call it "Gen 2..." :lmao:

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

What you're describing is the PSA stuff, especially the early problems... before they decided to fix it, change machining, and call it "Gen 2..." :lmao:

Don't tell anyone but I heard thru sources that there is a Gen 3 coming out

8 hours ago, confused said:

I wanted to build a high value / low cost 308.  I picked up a new DPMS Oracle for under $750.  I got a Nikon P-308 scope for under $200.  Put in an ALG trigger and a Surefire ProComp 762 Muzzle Brake on it.  Added a LimbSaver recoil pad and a high value bipod.  Just got back from an indoor 25yd range session.  The last two shoots were touching each other and just above the bullseye (Based in Nikon's Spot On, that puts me zeroed at 200yds with the Hornady 168 BTHP).  I couldn't be happier.  Next stop,  200yd outdoor range.

:thumbup:

confused, Congrats on a well thought out rifle. Doesn't sound like your forum name really fits.  As far as the PSA 10 guys, bfoosh is doing some good work on solving the PSA's Gen 2 issues. They are going to need a Gen 3. If I was PSA, I would talk to him.

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

The gen 2's arent working either? Mine runs excellently. I had initial problems with weak ammo but nothing since then. 

20 minutes ago, Chaindragger said:

The gen 2's arent working either? Mine runs excellently. I had initial problems with weak ammo but nothing since then. 

Most reports I've read on the Gen 2's indicate that they run fine, aside from being over gassed, which is very common in a 308 carbine. 

Most negative reports have been from those who don't even own one. It's internet's. 

1 hour ago, Chaindragger said:

1 hour ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Most reports I've read on the Gen 2's indicate that they run fine, aside from being over gassed, which is very common in a 308 carbine. 

Most negative reports have been from those who don't even own one. It's internet's. 

Good to hear and nice that you PSA 10 guys are contributing. I should have said "refinements" rather than "fixes". :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Chaindragger said:

Gen 2 rifle build (and full rifles) seem to be doing okay.  The early stuff was a mess...

8 hours ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Full disclosure: I haven't shot mine yet. The range is about an hour from me and I have yet to make the drive. 

I'm fully prepared plate up a heaping serving of crow if I must.

I'll let y'all know...

Hey Boot     Crow is mighty tasty....I just had a heaping plate of it....On Foo's post im giving him springs and buffer data for a car stock....he is using a rifle stock.....pass the salt please...this crow needs some    :laffs:    Wash 

Oh....the gap on the upper lower fitment wont affect how it shoots...  I guess im just pissed at a company that knows that they are gonna have a gap and don't fix the problem before production leaving the consumer holding the bag.... 

Edited by washguy

Just now, washguy said:

Hey Boot     Crow is mighty tasty....I just had a heaping plate of it....On Foo's post im giving him springs and buffer data for a car stock....he is using a rifle stock.....pass the salt please...this crow needs some    :laffs:    Wash 

I'm about to sit down and have mine! Pass the Tabasco sauce!!

Got off my ass this afternoon and went to my friends place just to see how my new toy works. Welp... it was a complete failure by any measure. First box of Fed Fusion 165: 2 out of 20 FT eject. 20 rnds of my handload hunting rounds ran perfect. Next box of Fusion 165, 15 of 20 same failure to eject. The gun was trying to feed a round with the spent cartridge still in place.  

Now I can't say it was completely the rifle's fault. During my research on the PA-10, prior to building one, Some folks had mentioned that PSA installs 2 orings under the extractor nad that it can cause issues. I preemptively removed one from my bolt prior to shooting. Dunno if that was the cause but I replaced it and will try again this week.   

Here's the aftermath when I went to clear the rifle:https://forum.308ar.com/topic/15224-guess-how-i-did-this/#comment-223048

1 hour ago, washguy said:

Smartass....   :lmao:

I had problems with mine when i first shot it. Fired about 40rds of hornady hunting ammo which ran fine then switched to cbc and noticed the rounds ejecting but the bolt was not traveling back enough to pick up the next round. So i kept hand cycling until I  got a stuck case. I had the armourer knock the case out and he told me the chamber was dry as a bone. I took it home and lubed it, viola! 100% since then even with wolf. 

Oh, and I forgot to mention i replaced the handguard with a Leapers UTG PRO 13in. Super Slim Free Float Rail.  

On an unrelated note,  everytime I try to login the site won't accept my password.  I have to reset each time.  Any suggestions?  

Oh, I've got a Lyman Orange Crush press.  Any suggestions on 308 dies?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:55 AM, Sisco said:

confused, Congrats on a well thought out rifle. Doesn't sound like your forum name really fits.  As far as the PSA 10 guys, bfoosh is doing some good work on solving the PSA's Gen 2 issues. They are going to need a Gen 3. If I was PSA, I would talk to him.

PSA Just introduced the PX10... which I can no longer find on their website... but Google shows links...